Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: CVO Breakout: primary case bouncing off the road?  (Read 10660 times)

ChromeDream

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout Liquid Sun
CVO Breakout: primary case bouncing off the road?
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:26 AM »

Hi there

In the mean time I drove some thousend kilometers / miles and I'm very happy with my CVO Breakout all-in-all. :)
But, after adapting myself to the bike and driving more in curvy mountains areas, my primary case gets in contact with the road from time to time. In the mean time, the primary case is quite scratched. :(
I have to say, that beside of solo riding, we're quite often two persons on the bike. (BTW: The ride to Rom last week, two persons 2500km, with comfort sozius saddle, was absolutely nice and comfortable.)

I'm interested to know, if you also have issues with scratching your primary case. So I would appreciate, if some CVO Breakout drivers would fill out this poll.

As a measure, I will adjust the suspension soon and check, if this will avoid road contact. If you have any other ideas to fix the problem, I'm interested in your valued feedback.

Cheers!
chrome

Rocketman69

• Mr. Roboto
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXCUSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: CVO Breakout: primary case bouncing off the road?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »

Not a Breakout owner, but I do have an '08 Rocker 'C'.....same frame, same primary....same problem.  Not sure about the Breakout, but the stock Rocker pegs had wear pegs sticking out of the bottom for this exact reason.  The bike is so low, and the primary is offset so far (due to the 240 tire) you just can't lean them over that far.  If the wear pegs start grinding pavement, you've just about leaned as far as you can without scraping the primary.

Fact of life man....sucks, but you get used to it.  at least the bottom of the primary isn't visible with the bike on the side stand....

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »

Not a Breakout owner, but I do have an '08 Rocker 'C'.....same frame, same primary....same problem.  Not sure about the Breakout, but the stock Rocker pegs had wear pegs sticking out of the bottom for this exact reason.  The bike is so low, and the primary is offset so far (due to the 240 tire) you just can't lean them over that far.  If the wear pegs start grinding pavement, you've just about leaned as far as you can without scraping the primary.

Fact of life man....sucks, but you get used to it.  at least the bottom of the primary isn't visible with the bike on the side stand....

hmmmm...something must be different between Rocker and BO in this area....sometimes I forget I'm not on the V-Rod and he very low in turns on my BO.  When the pegs start scraping, I just lift my foot up, the peg retracts and I keep on moving through the turn.  So I know that I am getting VERY low on both sides with the BO, and I have absolutely no scratching or contact blemishes on my primary of any kind....

Oh, and those "feeler" pegs were on my V-Rod...dealer took them off before I took delivery.  I don't scrape the pegs nearly as often on that bike, but when I do, again, nothing else hits the pavement.   I live by the mantra that "if you ain't scrapin', you ain't tryin'"....I love that saying...

NOW, I will say, I can believe that if I ever take a left hand corner where the pavment is sloping sharply upward, I have no doubt I will scratch my primary in that case...it is indeed VERY low and hangs out a good ways as Rocketman mentioned.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:51:01 PM »

How heavy are you guys scraping your primary?  :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

Dell boy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »

Not had that issue yet but once I ground the pegs I'm not continuing to push it. I was at Rome as well did 3000 miles on the trip. Wife had an air hawk pad on the back and whilst not the most comfortable for her at least with my pipes I couldn't hear her complaining.
Only issue I had was the split pin came out of the sode stand god only knowers how that can happen and I must put a post up so other check

ChromeDream

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »

Thanks a lot for your polls and feedbacks. Well it seams, that most of you don't get too close to ground while driving curvy roads. Good for you.  :)

@dlaws01: attached you can find a picture.

Thanks again. Cheers and drive safe

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »

Thanks a lot for your polls and feedbacks. Well it seams, that most of you don't get too close to ground while driving curvy roads. Good for you.  :)

@dlaws01: attached you can find a picture.

Thanks again. Cheers and drive safe

Wow, but that's what I don't understand.  I get VERY low on both sides of the bike.  I often scrape to the point where I raise my foot to let the scraping peg retract somewhat, and I have nothing like you are showing in the picture....I have not blemishes whatsoever....you didn't lower the bike did you from the stock height?  i know some folks do that...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »

I've scraped my outer edges of my shoes, but that's it. 

Dave H

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 ( SESG ) Orange/Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red ( Sadly Sold )
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE3 Black
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »

:huepfenlol2: - Me too Nicky  :nixweiss:
I've worn a big angle on boot heal , touch down often with pegs , and as others say I just lift my foot a little and let peg fold - But by that time I know I'm pushing it towards primary and further damage  :nixweiss:

OXMP

• Loud Pipes Save Lives!

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BreakOut Silver
    • CVO2: 1999 FX-DWG
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »

HI Chrome Deam ... I also scrape in the tight corners (my pegs that is) and Ive had my pegs replaced to ones wwhich come out straight from the bracket and dont have that 90 degree bend in the stock ones which limits clearance even further. Like Z06 / Dave H above ive also worn my boot heels down already to such an extent Ive had to replace the boot heels already ... However to increase clearance ive had my suspension set to its hardest .. makes for a hard ride but Im used to it now and I havent scraped the primary ... yet.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »

HI Chrome Deam ... I also scrape in the tight corners (my pegs that is) and Ive had my pegs replaced to ones wwhich come out straight from the bracket and dont have that 90 degree bend in the stock ones which limits clearance even further. Like Z06 / Dave H above ive also worn my boot heels down already to such an extent Ive had to replace the boot heels already ... However to increase clearance ive had my suspension set to its hardest .. makes for a hard ride but Im used to it now and I havent scraped the primary ... yet.

OX, are you getting in shape to take part in the "Iron Butt" rally perhaps?   ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »

Unless the road has a very severe crown with a lot of little bumps, I can't see dragging the primary like that if the suspension is set properly.  Dragging hard and immovable parts like the primary or frame isn't something I'd be bragging about, it's something I'd be trying to avoid like the plague.  All it takes is for a solid part to snag something instead of sliding and you and your passenger could be in for a very painful and even possibly fatal slide down the highway.  If I were you I'd take this very seriously and back off a bit while trying to find the root cause.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OXMP

• Loud Pipes Save Lives!

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BreakOut Silver
    • CVO2: 1999 FX-DWG
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

OX, are you getting in shape to take part in the "Iron Butt" rally perhaps?   ;D
Like ! Google "the 22's Hazyview" or check out
and see why I scrape my Break Out .. this piece of phenominal bikers paradise is 40kms from my home ... and we try to ride this most weekends !

13brkoutCVO

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »

X2

ChromeDream

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »

Thanks again for your feedbacks, all.

First I scraped the shoes, later the pegs. Scraching the pegs is OK for me. But the primary case is taboo for me, that's why I was curious about your experiences.

I will let my dealer check the situation and adjust the suspension. There have been about three or four slight road contacts of the primary during 5500km. I can imagine, that over the time some of your will have the same experience. So respect the warning signal if scratching the pegs and don't raise the feets, as I did. ;)

@z06: No, I didn't change the stock height and the suspension is at default currently.

Mutant

• NH

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout (Red)
    • CVO2: 2022 RG Limited (Hightail Yelow)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »

Got me curious as well. I went out and looked at my primary case. No scratches. I have had peg scrapes and the heal of my boot touch. I accept that as a indicator that I am at the limit. I have learned to adapt my cornering style and primarily the speed. If I use the text book out-in-out on the curve I have few if any scrapes. My rear tire wear pattern also shows I am using it all. I ride a lot of curve filled secondary roads here in New England and what fun. Agree on the suspension advise. The manual gives the settings for the rear shocks according to rider weight and how they are adjusted. I have the wrench, I think it was around $10.00 when I bought it. If you haven't yet, I agree with the previous advise, crank them to the highest setting. Additionally if you wear a hole in the bottom of the primary it will make for a bad day.

I love my CVO BO and as powerful and fun as it is - it ain't no rice rocket and I don't have metal wear pads on my knees.
Life is short - Create Adventure

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »

For those who just have to ride on the ragged edge, they can also take a page from the road racing guys and learn how to "hang off" the bike to allow higher cornering speeds without dragging all the hard parts.  It's actually a good technique for everyone to learn, since it can save your bacon if you find yourself getting into a corner too hot.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Deuce2004

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom To Associate

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Deuce
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 03:46:04 AM »

My Deuce primary touched the asphalt
Was a scary moment
Craig
Such Is Life

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »

i have a "whisker' engine guard, this one is touching the  asphalt before anything else so it is really doing where i bought it for , guarding my bike.

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

ChromeDream

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

@Craig
Hopefully you didn't fall over with the bike. Is the primary case still ok?

Mine is scratched, but beside of cosmetic point of view, there's no issue with it.

I applied two countermeasures: ;-)
1. Let my dealer to adjust the suspension to the max. 6 (one hour of work!)
2. I'm respecting the warning signal if scratching the pegs and don't raise the feets furthermore

I think we have to live with some bend limitations on our bike. But that's ok, I love the CVO Breakout and wouldn't change my bike to anything else right now. In the mean time I drove 9500km (6000 miles) and I'm having an absolutely great summer with my "baby". ;-)

Deuce2004

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom To Associate

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Deuce
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »

ChromeDream
I had to put my boot in between my bike and the road to stop her sliding down
I have rectified the problem I purchased a 1250 Bandit to ride like a mad man and now ride my Deuce with less suicidal tendencies
One bike does not do it all
Craig
Such Is Life

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Breakout, Hard Candy Gold Dust / Liquid Sun
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »

I've never had this problem, and I've done the Tail of the Dragon 4 times, the Rattler, and many other drastic mountain roads. I do raise my feet as the pegs scrape.

crawlgsx

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »

Also baffled by this. I have mine lowered 1" with Progressive 422's, but had 4k miles on my bike before that. I lean pretty hard and don't take it easy on curvy roads and I have never scraped my primary. Pegs/boots plenty, but never the primary. I have aftermarket pegs with no feelers, and I scrape those if I lean real hard but that is it.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 03:33:53 PM »

Maybe rider weight is part of the puzzle, 225 here and I scrape on twisties. Now I knew I was scraping pegs for awhile and never cared that much but when I was cleaning her up for a nice Spring ride I saw the scrapes on the primary and pipes on the other side. Maybe I ground too much of the pegs off :) Glad I noticed before I had to replace the primary. My buddy had a VRod and we would tear up Skyline drive a few times every summer.

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »

WOW, now thats riding on the edge on a Harley.  I thought I was doing good by just scraping my heals when I'm up on Skyline Drive.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 21 queries.