Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Finally removed stupid rear reflector...  (Read 16102 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Finally removed stupid rear reflector...
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »

Cleaner look, don't you think?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re: Finally removed stupid rear reflector...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »

Looks much better. I will do the same when installing the kuryakyn plate mount.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »

What do you have to do to take it off?  It looks a lot better!

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Breakout, Hard Candy Gold Dust / Liquid Sun
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »

Looks a-lot better....I would like to remove mine.

How much trouble was this mod?

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »

Looks a-lot better....I would like to remove mine.

How much trouble was this mod?

Aloha Nicky and Clubhes, for me it wasn'tuch of a pain cause I had the tech do it when they replaced my rear fender.  There is a plastic? grill? plate? (it was a thingamajig for sure) under the rear fender where the reflector bracket was pressure attached to.  See the tabs on the bracket?  I think Z06 removed his without removing the fender.....but I'd do it when the rear tire needs replacing.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:23:52 PM »

Aloha Nicky and Clubhes, for me it wasn'tuch of a pain cause I had the tech do it when they replaced my rear fender.  There is a plastic? grill? plate? (it was a thingamajig for sure) under the rear fender where the reflector bracket was pressure attached to.  See the tabs on the bracket?  I think Z06 removed his without removing the fender.....but I'd do it when the rear tire needs replacing.

hey Speedy,

no, on mine the rear fender did indeed have to come off in order to remove the retaining plate that holds the reflector on...boy, they really didn't want that thing falling off!

I really dig the look, but now it makes the giant gap between the fender and tire really noticeable...oh well, the tradeoff we make for a compliant ride....
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »

I really dig the look, but now it makes the giant gap between the fender and tire really noticeable...oh well, the tradeoff we make for a compliant ride....
[/quote]
Yeah, I hate that gap.  I'm eventually gonna put Stingerz LED lights from Custom Dynamics.  Just want to make sure that they will stay attached.  I'm thinking that more is needed than just the 3M double sided tape as that location gets so much water and road debris.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

[/quote]

Or remove reflector from attaching bracket and add this

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/skull-with-wings-medallion

Its short by 1/2 inch which means a 1/4 inch if the bracket will show on each side . . .

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »

I have been playing around with some options for the gap when the reflector is removed and am thinking it might be best to just turn the reflector into a taillight/brake-light combo. I also tried to see what the bike would look like with a turn signal/taillight/brake-light bar with the turn signals removed but IMO the bike has a retro feel to it in general and a light bar might be too modern for the rest of the bike. Anyhow here's a comparison (including the suggestion by Speedy - Though the scale is off):

taillight-compare-2 by Cameron L., on Flickr

The good news is that Stingerz is in the neighborhood, so to speak, and I am thinking about riding down there to see what they might come up with.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »

I have been playing around with some options for the gap when the reflector is removed and am thinking it might be best to just turn the reflector into a taillight/brake-light combo. I also tried to see what the bike would look like with a turn signal/taillight/brake-light bar with the turn signals removed but IMO the bike has a retro feel to it in general and a light bar might be too modern for the rest of the bike. Anyhow here's a comparison (including the suggestion by Speedy - Though the scale is off):

The good news is that Stingerz is in the neighborhood, so to speak, and I am thinking about riding down there to see what they might come up with.
If it were possible to get a LED light strip under the fender as shown in bottom left photo w/a smoked lens (rendering it almost invisible until lights were on) and have them set up as a brake/turn signal light, and  maintaining the stock turn signals might be a good option. This would allow the extra lighting on the back when needed and maintain the retro look. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rodrocket

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout - Molten Silver / Black Diamond
    • CVO2: 2006 V Rod Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »

How about the V-Rod Muscle tail light assembly, will it fit the Breakout as from memory the muscle has the indicators built into the Stop / Tail light & fts under the fender

regards
Rod

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »

How cool!  Thanks for doing this!  Really helps to see this.  I thought about our tank emblems too, but the curvature may not look right unless it could be recessed and hidden.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »

How about the V-Rod Muscle tail light assembly, will it fit the Breakout as from memory the muscle has the indicators built into the Stop / Tail light & fts under the fender

regards
Rod

I think the fender curvature is different, plus it has amber turn signals.

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »

Thanks for the follow-up info. I will pobably wait until the tire change. ...Also there was a thread about a shock change that actually reduced the fender gap. I'm gonna look into that.

rodrocket

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

I think the fender curvature is different, plus it has amber turn signals.

thanks for that, I don't mind the amber to much but was hoping the shape may be the same

regards
Rod

RatMonkey

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »

Or you could get the Cadillac of shocks, and have NO GAP!!... and a better ride and the ability to raise and lower...

www.shotgunshock.com  

These guys are awesome !
Just watch the videos and see the quality.  

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:31:00 AM by RatMonkey »

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »

Did some research on the Shotgunshock and I will be getting these. One more project added to the list.  ;D
Has anyone put these on their FXSBSE yet?

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »

They just finished putting my shotgun on last night- pic by tomorrow
2013 FXSBSE Black Diamond Molten Silver, VH Shortshot Staggered pipes, Power Vision tuner, Shotgun Shock,  Todd's 10" apes

RatMonkey

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

drooling... and waiting....

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 04:32:51 AM »

They just finished putting my shotgun on last night- pic by tomorrow
  Wow, anxious to see that!  What does something like that cost?  If it looks like the pic, I really wont need to worry about adding something to that raised fender.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:02 AM »

I was talking with JD (the owner) about putting one on my bike, but then my wife needed a new car....so it got put off.  KLB....I'm dyin to see the pics.  Did you take install pics....the compressor is different and in a different location because of the ABS module.

rodrocket

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 07:47:43 AM »

I was talking with JD (the owner) about putting one on my bike, but then my wife needed a new car....so it got put off.  KLB....I'm dyin to see the pics.  Did you take install pics....the compressor is different and in a different location because of the ABS module.

Nicky the ABS Compressor is small than the compressor for the Non ABS Bike

regards
Rod

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »

looking forward to those pics and any info regarding the install. What is the total cost?

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »

Here it is....
2013 FXSBSE Black Diamond Molten Silver, VH Shortshot Staggered pipes, Power Vision tuner, Shotgun Shock,  Todd's 10" apes

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »

I will start a new post this weekend(hopefully) with more pics.  With military discount from both Shotgun Shock (1150 ship incl) and local Harley service (290)- $1440.  be advised- this set up does block transmission access-so the shock will need to be dropped when servicing the tranny.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »

Here it is....
Looks great!!  Now you really gotta get rid of that reflector!  Do you ride it at that height as well?

RatMonkey

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »

Best looking one I have seen. 
Awesome.

What a great difference that makes in the presence of the bike.

Wow.

MORE PICS

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »

Sorry - couldn't wait to see what the bike would look like without the reflectors (and the chairs while I was at it).

sss1-no reflectors-1024 by Cameron L., on Flickr

Looks great. Time to save up for the SGS and find out who can install them in NOVA.

KLBO - one question - Where did you end up installing the switches for the shock?

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »

Depending on how many of us want to go ahead with this mod maybe we can contact JD and get a group discount. I'm definitely going to go for this (1).

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »

Set up looks great!  Can't wait to get some feedback on how it does while riding.  How low can you go while riding without bottoming out, etc.   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

rodrocket

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:59 PM »

Sorry - couldn't wait to see what the bike would look like without the reflectors (and the chairs while I was at it).

sss1-no reflectors-1024 by Cameron L., on Flickr

Looks great. Time to save up for the SGS and find out who can install them in NOVA.

KLBO - one question - Where did you end up installing the switches for the shock?

that looks great KLBO, cant wait for my bike to arrive as I already have the Shotgun

as Cam asked were did you mount the switches as I am not keen on mounting them under the tank near the horn

were those pic's taken with the bike at its lowest point ( DUMPED ) or can it be ridden that low, hope the guardian bell doesn't scrape on the ground now :-)

great looking ride with what I believe is the best colour combo

regards
Rod

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 10:48:56 PM »

That's awesome CAMCVO!  Thanks I will try to get those reflectors off next weekend.

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »

Spent the afternoon  riding at different heights.  It was pretty stiff all the way up- then I let out some pressure and it did better.  I lowered it 2.5+ inches which rang my bell when loading on my trailer but other wise cleared the ramp then I  rode in town without issue and San Antonio has rough roads- never bottomed out.  I think I could bar hop and ride easy about 1 inch from the full lowered position. 

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 10:59:19 PM »

Here's some after ride shots

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 11:00:29 PM »

more

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »

The suspension has not bottomed out even when riding all the way down.   I don't want to scrape anything so this is the height that seems to work.  Plus you can stiffen the ride at any height on the Shotgun suspension which is nice. 

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »

more

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

more
So nice!  Seems to also accentuate the 21" front wheel!

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »

Man, that's one clean looking ride!  :2vrolijk_21:  And I'm kinda picky.  Well done.
Jesus is Lord

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 06:43:49 AM »

Hey guys, I sure don't mean to be a downer on this cuz the bike looks 1000% better with the reflector removed BUT check your states laws. I know, first hand, that in South Carolina and West Virginia you must have 1 square inch of red reflector facing the rear of your bike. My kid brother checked in Ohio and it's the same. How do I know you ask?  :nixweiss:  A $95 fine in Horry county (Myrtle Beach) from a  :sauer021: LEO who just had to find something and from a decent WV Statie that had stopped my partner for a violation and gave me a heads up. It can be a 1 inch square of red reflector tape or 2 of those round reflectors that ya put on the license plate or what ever. I ended up going the 2nd route. If ya never run into Barney with an attitude  :2vrolijk_20: but if ya do .... Just sayin'
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:45:55 AM by BaggerProud »

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »

That's terrible. You should have acted like you were going for a concealed gun.   :goofy:
Jesus is Lord

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »

Or you could get the Cadillac of shocks, and have NO GAP!!... and a better ride and the ability to raise and lower...

www.shotgunshock.com  

These guys are awesome !
Just watch the videos and see the quality.  

Ratmonkey and KLBO...simply outstanding guys!

wow, that rear end finally looks like it should....I am all over this for sure... :bananarock:

It's great that you can firm up the ride w/o raising the height of the fender...

thanks to both of you for the great pictures...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:35:36 PM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »

So nice!  Seems to also accentuate the 21" front wheel!

I agree with you Speedy.....that front 21 is right in your face with this suspension....love it...

Fisherman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout Hard Candy Gold
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »

Just watched the shotgunshock video, i have to say it  looks impressive 

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »

TEXAS LAW:  
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm#547.325

SUBCHAPTER M. ADDITIONAL OR ALTERNATIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTORCYCLES AND MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES

Sec. 547.801.  LIGHTING EQUIPMENT.  (a)  A motorcycle, including a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with:
(1)  not more than two headlamps mounted at a height from 24 to 54 inches;
(2)  at least one taillamp mounted at a height from 20 to 72 inches;
(3)  a taillamp or separate lamp to illuminate the rear license plate that complies with the requirements of Sections 547.322(f) and (g);
(4)  at least one stoplamp that complies with the requirements of Section 547.323(d);  and
(5)  at least one rear red reflector that complies with the requirements of Section 547.325(b) and may be included as a part of the taillamp.
(b)  A motorcycle, other than a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with multiple-beam lighting equipment that produces:
(1)  an uppermost distribution of light that reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 300 feet ahead;  and
(2)  a lowermost distribution of light that:
(A)  reveals a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead;  and
(B)  is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on the motorcycle that is on a straight and level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.
(c)  A motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with:
(1)  multiple-beam lighting equipment that complies with the requirements of Subsection (b);  or
(2)  single-beam lighting equipment that:
(A)  emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle:
(i)  at a distance of at least 100 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed less than 25 miles per hour;
(ii)  at a distance of at least 200 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 25 miles per hour or more;  and
(iii)  at a distance of at least 300 feet when the cycle is operated at a speed of 35 miles per hour or more;  and
(B)  is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from the lamp on a loaded cycle projects a beam higher than the level center of the lamp for a distance of 25 feet ahead.
(d)  A motorcycle may not be operated at any time unless at least one headlamp on the motorcycle is illuminated.  This subsection does not apply to a motorcycle manufactured before the model year 1975.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.  Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 782, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997;  Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1022, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:32:01 PM by KLB0 »

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »

The reflector cross reference:

Sec. 547.325.  REFLECTORS REQUIRED.  (a)  Except as provided by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on the rear of the vehicle.  A red reflector may be included as a part of a taillamp.
(b)  A reflector shall be:
(1)  mounted at a height from 15 to 60 inches;  and
(2)  visible at night at all distances:
(A)  from 100 to 600 feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps;  or
(B)  from 100 to 350 feet when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps if the vehicle was manufactured or assembled before January 1, 1972.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »

1 reflector for motorcycles versus 2 for other vehicles.  So...WHAT SIZE equates to "visible at night from all distances" and 100-600 under low beam I guess in the day time.  Thinking about taking the fender one I just removed and glue it to my license plate-that should keep it legal. 

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »

Sans reflectors- the Shotgun Shock switches are above horn cover, realized I never answered that. 

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 11:23:16 PM »

here's the left side

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »

right side

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:57 AM »

Looks awesome!

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »

If your bike was parked next to mine, I bet just as many people would be looking at yours as they do mine.   :bananarock:
Jesus is Lord

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »

I don't know dlaws-that 08 cvo springer was the first harley I ever lusted after, that's when I gave sport bikes.  It took awhile to pay to play. Thanks,
Ken
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.