Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Anyone else getting rust on their CVO?  (Read 11028 times)

harley2014

Re: Anyone else getting rust on their CVO?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »

Just back from a ride out on my 2014 breakout, and rust as just appeared on my tank, still waiting for my rusty fender to be replaced been 5 months,and this will be the second time the tank as being replaced. Once warranty expires going to a very expensive bike to maintain or a very rusty breakout. whats the way forward, paint the polished metal. :nixweiss:

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »

Just back from a ride out on my 2014 breakout, and rust as just appeared on my tank, still waiting for my rusty fender to be replaced been 5 months,and this will be the second time the tank as being replaced. Once warranty expires going to a very expensive bike to maintain or a very rusty breakout. whats the way forward, paint the polished metal. :nixweiss:
I wonder if the Lemon Law would help you. It seems strange that some Breakouts are rusting while others are not. My 2014 Breakout is rust free while yours is rusting like crazy! I think your dealer should be contacting the Motor Company for a permanent solution for you.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 06:12:28 AM »

Last year I had a tank who was rusting, this one has been replaced under warranty , it took 9 months for delivery. This year the rear fender started to rust at the seat bolt.
Was being told by the dealer that the MOCO does not replace the rear fender anymore, but it should be send to England where they trained a paintshop to apply the special paint for the breakout. Next week the bike goes to the dealer for the removal of the fender, so let see how it is coming back. I have already decided that I will take the extended warranty on the bike, it will cost me 850 Euro, but that is probably cheaper as repainting the bike every yearat my own cost.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:18:00 AM by Breakout »

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

harley2014

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »

Just spoken to the dealer and they replacing the tank and rear fender on my 2014 molten, 2nd time the tank as been replaced, they tried to repair the 1st tank here in England but after 3 months they returned the tank to the dealer because they could do a job good enough quality, this was yet again rust on the tank, they replaced the tank, and this new tank is now showing rust. I have spoken to the dealer a few month ago and I was informed that the extended warrany does not cover paintwork ie tank and fenders, and the Harley 2 year manufacters warranty over covers the paintwork for 12 months. Looking at forum for the CVO Springer and Fat boy, Harley still replacing tanks and fenders (polished metal) 0n 10 year old bikes. You would expect Harley after all this time to have rectifyed this, it as got to such bad publicity on there premium and very expensive bikes :soapbox:

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »

Just spoken to the dealer and they replacing the tank and rear fender on my 2014 molten, 2nd time the tank as been replaced, they tried to repair the 1st tank here in England but after 3 months they returned the tank to the dealer because they could do a job good enough quality, this was yet again rust on the tank, they replaced the tank, and this new tank is now showing rust. I have spoken to the dealer a few month ago and I was informed that the extended warrany does not cover paintwork ie tank and fenders, and the Harley 2 year manufacters warranty over covers the paintwork for 12 months. Looking at forum for the CVO Springer and Fat boy, Harley still replacing tanks and fenders (polished metal) 0n 10 year old bikes. You would expect Harley after all this time to have rectifyed this, it as got to such bad publicity on there premium and very expensive bikes :soapbox:

Nobody has asked yet but what cleaner do you use to wet wash your bike? 

This will cause a s..t storm again BUT S100 IN MY EXPERIENCE is famous for causing rust like this.

It absolutel needs to be thoroughly rinsed with clean water everywhere it was sprayed.  I even tried cutting it in half and still ended up with similiar issues.

There are lots of very good cleaners out there these days. 

Jerry

harley2014

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »

Its under the clear coat, lol

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »

Its under the clear coat, lol

He showed picture under the steering assembly that had rust too.

On the painted items, this may be the same vender that did the 2005 CVO FATBOYS. They experienced a TON of warranty issues for the same reason on those bikes. (This was the year that had the raw metal and silver paint under the clear coat).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:12:16 AM by CVOStreetglide »

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 08:08:57 AM »

Lasr year I had a tank who was rusting, this one has been replaced under warranty , it took 9 months for delivery. This year the rear fender started to rust at the seat bolt.
Was being told by the dealer that the MOCO does not replace the rear fender anymore, but it should be send to England where they trained a paintshop to apply the special paint for the breakout. Next week the bike goes to the dealer for the removal of the fender, so let see how it is coming back. I have already decided that I will take the extended warranty on the bike, it will cost me 850 Euro, but that is probably cheaper as repainting the bike every yearat my own cost.

I just brought mine in and they ordered the rear fender. I am just waiitng for it to come in but they are replacing it. I had the corrsion by the seat bolts as well.

Also be very careful, I am pretty sure that the extended warranty does not cover paint. I will probably extend mine as well but just know that the paint might not be covered. I was disappointed to learn that but I would have been really mad to find it out  later.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 04:42:03 PM »

I am pretty sure that the extended warranty does not cover paint. I will probably extend mine as well but just know that the paint might not be covered. I was disappointed to learn that but I would have been really mad to find it out  later.
My HD Dealer told me the extended warranty does not cover paint
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

HDBill

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »

:nixweiss: May have to post to new forum: CVO - Corroded Vehicle Owners Forum?

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 02:06:47 AM »

Last year I had a tank who was rusting, this one has been replaced under warranty , it took 9 months for delivery. This year the rear fender started to rust at the seat bolt.
OK got a telephone call from the Dealer , After 7 weeks Fuc..ng Around  :furious3: the paintshop in England admitted they could not repaint the rear fender .
I am glad that I did not tried to repair the rear fender back in May when the blisters were popping up , while at that time I was told that the repair should take only 2 weeks. :stars:
Now a new rear fender is ordered , I hope that the delivery time is not the same as of the Tank who was replaced last year, then I had to drive around for 9 Months with blisters on the Tank because that was how long it took to get a new one.
When the Rear Fender takes that long I won't be driving before August 2015 because the rear fender they took off went to the HD European head quarters .
So no rear fender for me until the new one arrives.
I will see if I can get a HD rental for free until the new rear fender arrives , but I think that needs some  :argue: hard talk with the dealer
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:15:37 AM by Breakout »

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »

Well, had the rear fender replaced last year, and now I have the rust creeping out on the tank from the center console. I am about 6 months out of factory warranty and the extended warranty does not cover paint. Great news though, the dealer took some pics and sent them to HQ and they are replacing the tank! It is under the clear coat like most mentioned here. Perhaps there were just enough instances where they realized the outsourced company wasn't really providing a good product. I can snap a few pics if anyone cares to see. It was just a tiny line a month ago now, about 4 inches and branching off.

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 12:44:54 AM »

Yeah !!! I hit the jackpot  :hanged: , the last part that was not replaced (the front fender)has rust under the clear coat  :zwtf:
The bike came out of the winter storage of the dealer and they spotted it themselves  :soapbox:.
The dealer contacted HD if it could be replaced under warranty or if a coulance could be given while my bike was out of the warrant period .
Unfortunately HD  :smash: showed their middle finger and told the dealer no warranty , so I have to sort it out myself . :-*

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 10:16:07 AM »

Yeah !!! I hit the jackpot  :hanged: , the last part that was not replaced (the front fender)has rust under the clear coat  :zwtf:
The bike came out of the winter storage of the dealer and they spotted it themselves  :soapbox:.
The dealer contacted HD if it could be replaced under warranty or if a coulance could be given while my bike was out of the warrant period .
Unfortunately HD  :smash: showed their middle finger and told the dealer no warranty , so I have to sort it out myself . :-*

This story has history with the 2005 CVO Fat Boy.  They had tins with scuffed metal look to under the clearcoat that started rusting after a year or so. Harley did essentially the same thing--nothing.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »

I loved my CVO Breakout....but this is the very reason I got rid of it.  The tank had little white pin holes on the metal, under the clear.  I knew it would get worse!  The paint on the CVO Breakout is beautiful, but it's not suited for even a rock chip.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.