Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Ear plugs  (Read 13161 times)

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Ear plugs
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »

I am looking for some ear plugs to cut down on wind and road noise but still allow to hear the stereo naturally and to still use my headset communications. I've seen a few online.... some can get real pricey

Just wondering what you all use and recommend or not

Thanks
DR
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Ear plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »

Never wore earplugs. Loooooved loud pipes. Now I wear hearing-aids.........wish I had wore plugs!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:54:51 AM »

DR, I've tried a few of the different noise cancelling type of ear phones/buds (I have a set of BOSE that I use....but not on the bike).  If you want to reduce the amount of noise (wind and road), you can get a good set of ear plugs at your office/work/Home Depot.  Ear plugs do not eliminate the noise, just reduce.  The number on the box or plug package gives you the number of db that the sound is potentially reduced if the plug is worn correctly.  So you can reduce the excess noise and still be able to talk to a passenger and listen to the radio without blowing the speakers.  Another option while you are using your headset....a bit of cotton in the ears can cut down quite a bit of excess noise and costs pennies and get you the same results.

Since you are riding a dresser, how much wind/road noise are you getting on the Ultra and/or RG?  If it's that bad, I would look at changing windshields or such to reduce the outside noise levels in addition to or instead of ear plugs...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:34:46 AM by Haird »

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:56:19 AM »

I use custom made musicians earplugs. They where molded for me and the filters are replaceable. I currently use a 25db filter.

Worth every penny and comfortable for a long days ride with a helmet as well.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:37 AM »

We have been using the iplugz for years.  They are molded to fit your ear so they work well with head bands and helmets that go over your ears.

Sound really good.

I also got set of plain molded ear plugs.....believe it or not....wearing these plug you and hear your stereo just fine.

I see them at bike rallies all the time.

http://www.earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »

I have small ear canals and can’t keep the less expensive foam types in my ears when riding, so ended up going to an audiologist and having a mold made for some custom earplugs. Foam types would work well to reduce wind noise if you can keep them from blowing out and you could still hear the audio system, plus they are disposable. You can buy kits on line to have some custom molded for your ears – you mail the mold back and they forward the earplugs. As Haird pointed out, some cotton under your headset may suffice when using the communication/audio system.

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »

I am looking for some ear plugs to cut down on wind and road noise but still allow to hear the stereo naturally and to still use my headset communications. I've seen a few online.... some can get real pricey

Just wondering what you all use and recommend or not

Thanks
DR

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Plugs-101338945-i1134130.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CJauvcjK1MACFQto7AodgXgAcA&kwid=productads-plaid^87622863642-sku^101338945@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^44639487282

Used by musicians (and me)  cuts down on the ambient noise - actually makes the music better when riding.
You may be able to find them local at a music store.

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »

DR, I've tried a few of the different noise cancelling type of ear phones/buds (I have a set of BOSE that I use....but not on the bike).  If you want to reduce the amount of noise (wind and road), you can get a good set of ear plugs at your office/work/Home Depot.  Ear plugs do not eliminate the noise, just reduce.  The number on the box or plug package gives you the number of db that the sound is potentially reduced if the plug is worn correctly.  So you can reduce the excess noise and still be able to talk to a passenger and listen to the radio without blowing the speakers.  Another option while you are using your headset....a bit of cotton in the ears can cut down quite a bit of excess noise and costs pennies and get you the same results.

Since you are riding a dresser, how much wind/road noise are you getting on the Ultra and/or RG?  If it's that bad, I would look at changing windshields or such to reduce the outside noise levels in addition to or instead of ear plugs...

Haird it's not the noise from my bike but rather the road noise coming from other traffic when riding on highways mainly. I have looked on a few sites like Bose, ear inc, hearos, etc and have some ideas of my own but just wanted real feedback on what has worked for other members here
Enjoy the Journey

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »

Gotcha.....

Looks like quite a few options presented.....good luck with whichever route you proceed.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Plugs-101338945-i1134130.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CJauvcjK1MACFQto7AodgXgAcA&kwid=productads-plaid^87622863642-sku^101338945@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^44639487282

Used by musicians (and me)  cuts down on the ambient noise - actually makes the music better when riding.
You may be able to find them local at a music store.

M

THANK YOU!!! This is actually one brand I was really close to buying the other night online. Just the name "hearos" sounded so cheesy......
Enjoy the Journey

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

Gotcha.....

Looks like quite a few options presented.....good luck with whichever route you proceed.

Thanks  :2vrolijk_21:
Enjoy the Journey

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »

Never wore earplugs. Loooooved loud pipes. Now I wear hearing-aids.........wish I had wore plugs!!!!!

Honestly that is what I am afraid of happening. I really don't want to wear the ear plugs but I am getting to the point where I have to. Between getting older and my past hard rock days, the ears are starting to fade.... >:(
Enjoy the Journey

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »

We have been using the iplugz for years.  They are molded to fit your ear so they work well with head bands and helmets that go over your ears.

Sound really good.

I also got set of plain molded ear plugs.....believe it or not....wearing these plug you and hear your stereo just fine.

I see them at bike rallies all the time.

http://www.earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

Thank you. This is another site I looked at, but not those plugs in general. Can you tell me does the audio jack actually plug in somewhere? I prefer something to just wear without plugging in
Enjoy the Journey

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »

I wear the orange foam types... roll them up slide them in and I am good to go.  I hear the music better, and the wind noise is gone.  much better for riding

I find they cut down on the roar in my ears, I can still hear other cars, and my bike, but the wind roar is gone

I use to wear something similar in my Tank, saved my ears and I could still hear the radio, and the sound of the gun being loaded
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »

Thank you for all the great suggestions. Any one using this kind?

http://sportear.com/shop/ear-plugs/plugz-xp3-tan/
Enjoy the Journey
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.