Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Automatic Transmission Fluid in Primary?  (Read 4458 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Automatic Transmission Fluid in Primary?
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:16:33 AM »

I am replacing the clutch plates in my Baker Street Clutch after 38k miles. I will be using the stiffer Diaphragm Clutch Spring for Racing and thier Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing. The other spring is only good for 120HP. I have S&S V124. Baker recommended ATF  fluid with Mercon or Dextron I think. Should I use Primary oil instead?

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid in Primary?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:40:51 AM »

use what Baker said to and the trans fluid is the FORD speck not the GM one

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:16:56 AM »

Ok Thanks.  Baker didn't specify  Ford or GM.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »

I use the Mobil 1 Synthetic trans fluid that meets both specs, and it works fine in a stock Harley clutch, not just a Baker clutch.  This is in an older five speed Big Twin, not the later models with the Cruise Drive six speed and latest design primary.  I have no experience running ATF in the late models, but as far as the clutch goes it would be fine in those as well.  What I don't know is how the ATF would work with the new style compensator.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »

I'm using ATF Fully Synthetic in my Ultra Classic  its been working fine moving from "N" to 1st is smooth and have no issues back onto "N" and with no clutch drag like I had before I changed over. I'm no expert but I do know what works for me and that's ATF Fully  Synthetic  in the primary

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:40:53 PM »

I'm using ATF Fully Synthetic in my Ultra Classic  its been working fine moving from "N" to 1st is smooth and have no issues back onto "N" and with no clutch drag like I had before I changed over. I'm no expert but I do know what works for me and that's ATF Fully  Synthetic  in the primary

Most everything I've seen or read is that the compensator needs an EP rated oil. I used Redline MTL, nice & smooth ..very worked very well, compensator was happy ...   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 12:13:26 PM »

I use Red Line in all 3 holes.

Went to 20-60 weight to quiet some of the twin-cam 'ticking'. (Rocker Lockers in the near future.)

Their V-Twin home site - https://www.redlineoil.com/h-d-v-twin

Primary oil site - https://www.redlineoil.com/v-twin-primary-case-oil

Love their products!

Cheers,
Smoketown

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 02:25:06 PM »

Most everything I've seen or read is that the compensator needs an EP rated oil. I used Redline MTL, nice & smooth ..very worked very well, compensator was happy ...   

There's nothing really special to a compensator its only demand is  abundance of lubrication. What does EP do for it?

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »

Wow, kind of a crazy thread. Never even thought of ATF in any hole of the bike......

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 09:59:39 PM »

When I went to Barnett plates they recommended B&M Trick Shift ATF. Worked great. No clunk easy to find neutral etc

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »

Wow, kind of a crazy thread. Never even thought of ATF in any hole of the bike......

It's a natural when you're talking about wet clutches.  A typical automatic transmission is filled with wet clutch packs, and the fluid is specially formulated to work with those clutches.  The auto industry has even used ATF in manual gearboxes in the past, and in transfer cases.  Harley wet clutches have been famous (infamous?) for clutch drag going way back.  ATF made a huge difference for me in earlier models with 5 speeds, can't speak to the 6 speed primaries.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 03:18:09 AM »

It's a natural when you're talking about wet clutches.  A typical automatic transmission is filled with wet clutch packs, and the fluid is specially formulated to work with those clutches.  The auto industry has even used ATF in manual gearboxes in the past, and in transfer cases.  Harley wet clutches have been famous (infamous?) for clutch drag going way back.  ATF made a huge difference for me in earlier models with 5 speeds, can't speak to the 6 speed primaries.

Jerry

Since I was introduced and been running with ATF in my 6 speed all the issues have gone,..such as heavy 1st gear engagement,  sitting at a light and having to hold the dike back from creeping forward, (clutch drag)  having to put it in "N" to backup,  (clutch drag) most of the time having to turn the motor off to get it into "N". There's such a difference on how heavy it was to shift on the foot shifter I literally had to push on the toe arm to get low and high gears.
It didn't happen straight away but after a while it got better and better were now I only have to tap the shifter into gear up and down can push the bike back with out fighting the clutch dragging when in gear.

Just mentioning the noticeable difference in using ATF. in my 6 speed.  What it's doing for the compensator I don't know but the compensator as far hasn't been complaining.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 01:19:51 PM »

So if I were to put ATF in my '09 primary, which ATF would be recommended?

Thanks, Stay Safe Guys!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »

So if I were to put ATF in my '09 primary, which ATF would be recommended?

Thanks, Stay Safe Guys!

I like (and use) Type F ATF in the primary of my bikes.  I use the B&M Trick Shift product.  ATF is a good product for our clutches.  However....

I don't recommend it on the newer bikes.  Not because of any difference in the clutches but because of the newer compensators.  They are (or at least were) weak enough I'm more comfortable with something with better lubricating properties.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 03:26:56 AM »

I add this to the ATF in the primary just to give the compensator that little bit more protection,...at least that's what I'm lead to believe,  and so far the primary hasn't been complaining.
BTW,  this product does state not for type "F" ATF.  I use TRIPLE QX ATF Dexron III

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »

There's nothing really special to a compensator its only demand is  abundance of lubrication. What does EP do for it?

It's an Extreme pressure additive, like that in gear oil. From what I have read, the sliding cam that rides on the sprocket is the issue and it's needs an EP rated lube.       
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 09:45:26 PM »

It's an Extreme pressure additive, like that in gear oil. From what I have read, the sliding cam that rides on the sprocket is the issue and it's needs an EP rated lube.       

Curious,  what do you use in your primary with the rated EP  Or do you add it ?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »

I ended up getting Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase 85 weight oil. Baker also recommended that too. Waiting on plates and Heavy Duty Diaphragm Clutch Spring. I misplaced mine. Can't find it anywhere! I also have the Baker Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing Kit. I had it but never used it. The Baker 6 speed O.D. gearset works great! Baker told me thier 6 speed Direct Drive wouldn't hold up to my motor.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 01:41:21 AM »

I ended up getting Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase 85 weight oil. Baker also recommended that too. Waiting on plates and Heavy Duty Diaphragm Clutch Spring. I misplaced mine. Can't find it anywhere! I also have the Baker Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing Kit. I had it but never used it. The Baker 6 speed O.D. gearset works great! Baker told me thier 6 speed Direct Drive wouldn't hold up to my motor.

Don't you hate it when that happens (losing chit)?  This afternoon I was farting with my old Road Glide for another hour or so.  Couldn't find the o-rings that go under the rocker arm assembly.  Knew they were out there somewhere.  Just knew it.  Couldn't find the damn things anywhere.  Wasted a half hour looking for them.  Then wasted another 45 minutes back and forth to the dealership to get a pair.  When I got home I found the originals.  Humbug!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 02:28:38 AM »

Don't you hate it when that happens (losing chit)?  This afternoon I was farting with my old Road Glide for another hour or so.  Couldn't find the o-rings that go under the rocker arm assembly.  Knew they were out there somewhere.  Just knew it.  Couldn't find the damn things anywhere.  Wasted a half hour looking for them.  Then wasted another 45 minutes back and forth to the dealership to get a pair.  When I got home I found the originals.  Humbug!

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 08:45:57 AM »

You obviously have an infestation of garage gnomes. They are evil creatures with a wicked since of humour.  They will move parts and tools so you can't find them. Once you give up looking, they will put them back so that when you come back they are there. Haven't found an exterminator that knows how to get rid of them yet.   ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 01:06:42 PM »

You obviously have an infestation of garage gnomes. They are evil creatures with a wicked since of humour.  They will move parts and tools so you can't find them. Once you give up looking, they will put them back so that when you come back they are there. Haven't found an exterminator that knows how to get rid of them yet.   ;D

They suck.  Total bastards they are.  Demonic.  Back in 2008 I lost a set of adjustable pushrods in the middle of working on the red SEEG I used to have.  Gone.  Vanished.  Nowhere in the shop or (where they should have been) on the parts cart I was working from.  Spent hours looking for them.

Finally to finish the job ordered another set.  Of course, because that's what you do when the garage gnomes and the Travel Gods conspire to screw with you.

A year later I found the pushrods.  Under a stack of rags I'd covered the pushrods with to protect them.  In a drawer.  Found them while working on the engine on my Road Glide.  So used them there instead of ordering a set for it.  Had no reason to touch them since until (for real) this week when working on the Road Glide again.  Took the pushrods out and reinstalled (last night actually) and called them bad names both times; just for messing with me a dozen years ago.

J.D.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 01:11:55 PM »

As the saying goes, it was in the last place you looked.  Which is pretty obvious; who finds something and continues looking for it.

Back to primary oils, I've tried just about everything and settled on the MA2 spec motor oils.  Cleanest drain plug magnets and best clutch grab.

quicked

• quicked
  • Junior CVO Member
  • GOTTA RIDE
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 inferno orange flstse
    • CVO2: 2009 electric orange fltrse3
    • CVO3: 2005 cherry seeg,sold 1994 black,polish and chrome FATBOY 117 CUSTOM S&S SIDEWINDER,BAKER TORQUEBOX,CHAINDRIVE
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 05:10:23 AM »

ya:all want great primary fluid choices mobil1 synthetic trans fluid or mobil1 racing 4t 10w40
09 fltrse3, custom hicomp124,,s&s flywheel,axtell cyl,,redshift 647 cams.s&s lifters,roller rockers,jims titanium pushrods.weldedported heads,s&s lifter pushrods,feuling beehive springs,s&s tc3 oilpump cam plate,se 5.3 inj,se 58mm tbody,baker grudgebox,barnett clutch,aims vp,diamondeng race fastnrs,thundermax,d&d boarzilla,2010 flstse,SE10.5 pistons,ported heads,s&s pshrdslifters,rollrrockers,woodscamstw9b6,SE6.2inj,hpi55tbody,barnettclutch,diamondeng race fasteners ,pm calipers,rb race header

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 07:03:10 AM »

::  this is made for the job, why over think it
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:05:12 AM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »

::  this is made for the job, why over think it

I use Amsoil 20w50 in the motor no complaints

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 03:25:18 PM »

Do you know what temp the ATF fluid is rated for?

I have seen primary cases, measured by an infrared thermometer reach temps over 400 degrees in extreme cases.  Even in typical highway usage it is going to be over 275 degrees.  I know that the atf in my truck never gets above 180.

Just something to think about...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 08:08:21 PM »

ATF is just like motor and other oils, it starts breaking down between 250 and 275 degrees.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.