Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oops Overfilled Transmission  (Read 13986 times)

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4
Oops Overfilled Transmission
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »

:oops: Just finished my 1st attempt at changing oil @ 1000 miles (08 SERK).

After changing out tranny fluid (initially added 1 qt/32 oz) I did a "hot" temp check and it was not at the full mark so I added a bit more . . . . 

Then afterward I read Owners manual where it states level should be between the "add" and the "full" mark (which it was initially).

The level is now just very slightly above the "Full" mark when doing a "Hot" check.

Is this a Problem??   :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:

Mobile 1 VTwin 20-50 in crankcase and primary
Redline Heavy Shock Proof in tranny

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
Re: Oops Overfilled Transmission
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:23:39 PM »

I wouldn't think that little amount will make a difference. Now if you had filled it to the top that would be another story. Ride the bike a little bit and check it later to see if your still over. If it's still just slightly over like you described you'll be ok otherwise you may have to drain a little out.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »

I wouldn't think that little amount will make a difference. Now if you had filled it to the top that would be another story. Ride the bike a little bit and check it later to see if your still over. If it's still just slightly over like you described you'll be ok otherwise you may have to drain a little out.

You'd be surprised how much it expands when hot. If it was full when cold, I'd check it hot. You'll probably need to drain some. I throw in one qt. when changing it, and call it a day. I don't bother to check it after. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »

Try getting a big syringe and fit a short piece of hose on the end and suck out as much as you need to get it to the normal level.

You definitely don't want to over fill the primary.  Overfilling the primary will cause noticeable problems

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »

I overfilled the tranny, not the primary.  The dip-stick reads just a RCH above the "Full" mark when Hot.  Should that be a problem??

But while I'm at it . . .  How are you supposed to know when the primary is at the proper level??   :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Owners manual says:  A "wet" change will require aprox. 38 oz.  A "dry" fill after complete dissembly of the primary requires 45 0z.

So is it a little more or less than 38 oz??   :soapbox: Why dont they just say put in 38 oz ??   What is with this aprox  BS?  :soapbox:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »

I overfilled the tranny, not the primary.  The dip-stick reads just a RCH above the "Full" mark when Hot.  Should that be a problem??

But while I'm at it . . .  How are you supposed to know when the primary is at the proper level??   :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Owners manual says:  A "wet" change will require aprox. 38 oz.  A "dry" fill after complete dissembly of the primary requires 45 0z.

So is it a little more or less than 38 oz??   :soapbox: Why dont they just say put in 38 oz ??   What is with this aprox  BS?  :soapbox:

All fluid changes tend to be "approximately", since there is no consistency to how much oil drains out from one bike to the next or one person to the next.  If one person drains it cool and the other drains it hot, one drains for one minute and the other for a half hour, etc., you can see where there would be some variation in the amount left in the component.  And that's without getting into the angle of the bike while drained, the variation within the parts themselves, etc.

When you put fluid in the primary, you only want the fluid to come up to the bottom edge of the clutch spring.  Excess fluid will cause the clutch to drag.

BTW, if your trans is only a fine RCH over the full line when hot, don't sweat it that is fine.  If it was a coarse BCH then you might want to drain just a scosh.  The main thing that will happen if you slightly overfill the trans is that some fluid could be blown out the vent tube when hot.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »

For some reason I overfill the tranny about the half the time.  I blame it on the long funnel I use.  It has to be the funnel's fault after all.

If it's too much over full and you don't have syringes or any other fluid exchance tool just hit your local parts store.  Any of them should have a little hand held sucker/pump they sell for three bucks or so.

Snake Pliskin

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »

One of those brake bleeder pumps would work great.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »

Whatever you do, DO NOT use a piece of hose and mouth suction.  Most gear lubes have hazardous stuff in them, and even if they didn't the smell and taste would most likely make you toss your lunch.  If you can't come up with a little rubber bulb suction device (I would recommend that you not borrow momma's turkey baster, btw), just carefully unscrew the drain plug and let a little out that way, then wipe up and follow with a quick shot of brake cleaner.  No big deal.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »

All fluid changes tend to be "approximately", since there is no consistency to how much oil drains out from one bike to the next or one person to the next.  If one person drains it cool and the other drains it hot, one drains for one minute and the other for a half hour, etc., you can see where there would be some variation in the amount left in the component.  And that's without getting into the angle of the bike while drained, the variation within the parts themselves, etc.

When you put fluid in the primary, you only want the fluid to come up to the bottom edge of the clutch spring.  Excess fluid will cause the clutch to drag.

BTW, if your trans is only a fine RCH over the full line when hot, don't sweat it that is fine.  If it was a coarse BCH then you might want to drain just a scosh.  The main thing that will happen if you slightly overfill the trans is that some fluid could be blown out the vent tube when hot.

Jerry

;D OK Jerry,

Thought maybe I would stump everyone with the "RCH" terminology . . . . guess not   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
So is a "BCH" black or blonde??   :worthless:  hehehehe
I was actually going to use the term scosh too, but I thought that was even more obscure  :huepfenlol2:

My main mistake was not reading the manual 1st.  The tranny level was right where it was supposed to be, before I started to brain #*^$  the whole thing.

Based on what y'all are saying . . . I guess I wont worry about it.

Thanks to everone for the ideas and help tho,   Seriously . . . . this site ROCKS!      :orange:  :drink:

reg26

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:40:26 PM »

Where does one buy a large syringe anyway. I always wanted one for such a purpose and others.
09 FLHX built by Rosas Cycle
06 FJR just for grins

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:31:58 PM »

Where does one buy a large syringe anyway. I always wanted one for such a purpose and others.

Drug Store

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »

Large animal veterinarian.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 12:07:41 AM »

Cookware store.  They've got things there to inject juices up a raw turkey's ass.  Good tools :2vrolijk_21: .

Page created in 0.744 seconds with 21 queries.