Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Crank  (Read 6032 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: The Crank
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »

Found, it. It was someone else, this was on Latus HD web site.

hey there, I am planning on having a large displacement 113" - 124" motor built for my 2007 FXDB. I am hoping to run about 120- 140 hp/ft-lbs range. I have been hearing though that welding my crank pin is a good idea. What are your thoughts? THX

We recommend it but has to be done by someone who knows how to do it correctly. Recommend sending the entire crankshaft assy to Hoban Bros for balancing and welding to get a bullet proof crank.

GRC
We too use Hoban to do our crank work. If the pro plug is done they will tell you that welding is not a item that is needed for the tq numbers you are running. You can have it welded if you want,... but if you every have to repair the crank you can have problems due to the pin being welded, kind of a double edged sword. We use the pro plug from hobans in the cranks and even keep some cranks on hand for exchange for the standard street builds. They have held in builds making more than that with no slippage issues thus far. We like there work and they take care to ensure the crank is set up correctly.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/works.html

Craig
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:53:01 PM by Talon »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »

Found, it. It was someone else, this was on Latus HD web site.

hey there, I am planning on having a large displacement 113" - 124" motor built for my 2007 FXDB. I am hoping to run about 120- 140 hp/ft-lbs range. I have been hearing though that welding my crank pin is a good idea. What are your thoughts? THX

We recommend it but has to be done by someone who knows how to do it correctly. Recommend sending the entire crankshaft assy to Hoban Bros for balancing and welding to get a bullet proof crank.

GRC
We too use Hoban to do our crank work. If the pro plug is done they will tell you that welding is not a item that is needed for the tq numbers you are running. You can have it welded if you want,... but if you every have to repair the crank you can have problems due to the pin being welded, kind of a double edged sword. We use the pro plug from hobans in the cranks and even keep some cranks on hand for exchange for the standard street builds. They have held in builds making more than that with no slippage issues thus far. We like there work and they take care to ensure the crank is set up correctly.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/works.html

Craig

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »

The more I thought about this topic, caused me to have more questions about the process and exactly what was being done.   Called Jim's directly today and spoke to Eric to find out more information on the Crank Welding that was to be done, apparently their processes were refined with the help of Hoban (Darkhorse).   So the Crank I was having welded and trued etc is actually pin welded / balanced and trued and not just welded.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »

As long as we are considering random thoughts; if you can shrink a bearing race with your welder in order to remove it without a puller, what happens to the interference fit between the crankpin and the flywheel when you weld the assembly?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.