Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: is anybody here running a Baker DD-7  (Read 6276 times)

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
is anybody here running a Baker DD-7
« on: June 22, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »

After 4k miles on my '08 FXDSE, I have had more than a gut full of the stock tranny. Is any body running the Baker DD-7 ?    .........or any other after market gear-set you've been pleased with ???

:cucumber: I don't wanna pickle  :cucumber:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: is anybody here running a Baker DD-7
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:54:05 AM »

After 4k miles on my '08 FXDSE, I have had more than a gut full of the stock tranny. Is any body running the Baker DD-7 ?    .........or any other after market gear-set you've been pleased with ???

:cucumber: I don't wanna pickle  :cucumber:

Don't have and was pretty sure I had no desire for.  Then a bike I see locally got one.  I got to ride it briefly two or three weeks ago.  The ride confirmed my lack of interest.  Don't want to shift that damn much.  I don't wanna always shift a pickle, just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:50:20 AM »

well I, for one, would like to be able to shift to second before I am out of my subdivision. (without breaking the speed limit)

:cucumber:but I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motor- cy --- cle  :cucumber:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:47:15 PM by Shovelhead »
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »

Gosh, you'd really be going nuts with a 5 spd then!  While I would love to upgrade to a 6 spd, I'd have to agree a 7 spd would just be too much.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:23:35 AM »

Gosh, you'd really be going nuts with a 5 spd then!  While I would love to upgrade to a 6 spd, I'd have to agree a 7 spd would just be too much.

I've had several 5 spd.s (and a couple 4spd.s ) but never one with an infinitely too tall first gear !

The 7th on the Baker is the same ratio as 6th on my stock 6 spd. , it just has a significantly lower 1st gear and closer ratio 1st-2nd-3rd  .........and supposedly is much smoother shifting, doing away with the clunk, the whine, and having a more definite neutral,  all of which I find believable but was hoping to hear somebody firsthand confirm.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:25:09 AM by Shovelhead »

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »

I'd switch to get the lower first gear.  I'd switch first gear in the existing box if I could as the stock one is just too tall for low-speed manuevering.  Hate having to slip the clutch in traffic and wonder if it is going to stall.  The rest are okay, maybe a slightly lower second so it doesn't seem to lug at 30 mph.  I, too, would be interested to hear from anyone who either made the switch or put one in on a build. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 03:53:40 PM »

bump

All the money people have spent on mods around here , I have a hard time believing that everyone is still running the suck-ass stock gears !

:soapbox:

:cucumber: I don't want a tickle ~ I'd rather ride my motorsickle  :cucumber:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:56:38 PM by Shovelhead »

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »

I talked to the Baker people at the J&P Open House this weekend.  First is about 12.5% lower than stock (wish they'd gone more), second, third and fourth are about 20% lower, then less difference to top which is still 1:1.  Obviously you have to consider the source, but one of the guys said his shifts about as well as a Metric transmission.  I'm seriously considering it for a winter project as parade duty getting into and out of the open house reinforced my opinion the stock gearing is not good, and I'd like to keep the low revs on the highway.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:04:39 PM »

think twice about this. I've heard of problems with this guy's tranny that are supposed to be soooo wonderful. Maybe it's the bike model and not the gearbox. Think about it.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:28 PM »

If you do a Google search on 'Baker DD7' there are a couple postings on other sites about people's experience with it.  One started out not being too impressed, but after a few hundred miles liked it much better.  The other option is to install a smaller front pulley, but you'll raise the rpms across the board, including on the highway.  I don't think I care to do that as 2600 rpm at 70 is pretty relaxed.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »

I talked to the guy at the Baker booth at the J&P event too, and asked if they were doing the gear set swap for the 6 spd at the event. He said not there, but they were taking rsvps for Sturgis at $2,900.  I thought the 'kit' was something like $1,800 for just the internal swap.  Seems rather steep?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 03:49:38 AM »

retracted my inflammatory meltdown rant
'
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:46:13 PM by Shovelhead »

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »

retracted my inflammatory meltdown rant
'

I thought it was pretty accurate  :-\ Are you still getting the DD7?

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »

I thought it was pretty accurate  :-\ Are you still getting the DD7?

Yes, want to get my old shovel into shape to ride before putting the FXDSE into the shop for the changeout but hopefully by the end of this month, I will report back with the results.

I've never run anything by Baker but have had good luck in the past with Andrews gearsets, I am open minded to hearing of any other  "fixes" for these issues but have yet to find any myself.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »

:cherry:

Here is a possible answer for ya,  the (down-side) is you end up with no compensator.  The (up-side) is the 30 toother gives you the same low-end gearing of some of the older models.

Check it out.

http://evoindusa.uia.net/product_info.php/products_id/306?osCsid=82fbc76a775fe3a4809b0ea22aa94132
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.