Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Used Harleys going up in value?  (Read 2358 times)

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
Re: Used Harleys going up in value?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:50:09 PM »

They can't repossess it if the title is in the safe.

mark

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »

Used HD prices ticking up could be an anomaly, or it could show an increased demand in used bikes, where buyers are choosing used over a new purchase.  I wouldn't read too much into this. 

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »

Used HD prices ticking up could be an anomaly, or it could show an increased demand in used bikes, where buyers are choosing used over a new purchase.  I wouldn't read too much into this.
The article said it was the price of one year old bikes that increased. Not a good indication of the overall market. It does indicate that used buyers prefer a M8 over a twin cam if they want a near new bike.

This is a very small portion of the used market.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »

Other than the news on used bikes, the financial HD news was troubling.  If it's a software glitch, ok.  But if those delinquencies & credit losses are due to non performing loans that should have never been let (to sell more units), then it's a deeper issue. 

HD stock price is still lagging, not good for the company long or short term.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »

Would it be nice if our used bikes were going up in value… of course. I doubt any of us bought one of these thinking we were going to make money on it. I would also expect most of us knew the value of the bike would drop as soon as we drove it off the dealer parking lot just like all other new vehicles.

In my opinion I would not be surprised if the article is actually onto something. Traditionally blue collar type workers have been likely candidates to buy new vehicles and toys on an upswing in the economy, and right now I think every single one that actually wants to work is working. That would mean more of those used Harleys are getting bought up and thus driving up the price somewhat. Unfortunately if history continues to repeat itself this will be cyclical and all too soon the upsurge in construction work etc will dramatically drop and all those new and used vehicles and toys will be back on the market. Such is life.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »

The article said it was the price of one year old bikes that increased. Not a good indication of the overall market. It does indicate that used buyers prefer a M8 over a twin cam if they want a near new bike.
This is a very small portion of the used market.

If your definition of "near new" is a couple years old (2017?), the only choice for the touring bike is the M8 so your argument would not be valid.  If your definition extends to include 2015 and/or 2016 for "near new", the M8 is selling better than the older twin cam. 

...but for the twin cam not selling as well, there is nothing new in that argument either because the pan, shovel and Evo sales all suffered when the next design came out...warts and all.

Just clarifying the statements... ;D

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »

Buyers are wanting the better reliability of the twin cam vs the problems of the m8. At least I did.  Big mistake trading my 2012 CVO SG for a 2018 Heritage Anniversary 114. 

Sumping and puking oil, so traded backwards for a nice 2014 Limited.  Just one water pump so far.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »

Other than the news on used bikes, the financial HD news was troubling.  If it's a software glitch, ok.  But if those delinquencies & credit losses are due to non performing loans that should have never been let (to sell more units), then it's a deeper issue. 

HD stock price is still lagging, not good for the company long or short term.
Also bad for Harley owners. Selling new bikes with easy credit will result in a lotta repossessions and low prices. Check out rumbleon.com a new online business buys/sells motorcycles, selling them much lower than many dealers.

The motorcycle industry seems to change daily, don't see how some of the huge HD dealers can survive. In my opinion, Harley and it's dealers needs to downsize dramatically. Reduce overhead, reduce inventory size and focus on what you do well. Electric bikes are not going to fill the void.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 11:52:09 AM »

They can't repossess it if the title is in the safe.

I hate to break your bubble but the secured creditor can generate an electronic title faster than their “field agent/representative” (read reposesser)  can load the bike up and haul it away.

:D  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »

I hate to break your bubble but the secured creditor can generate an electronic title faster than their “field agent/representative” (read reposesser)  can load the bike up and haul it away.

:D  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I believe he's referring to owning the bike outright with no creditor...thus the title is in his safe... :bananarock:

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »

I believe he's referring to owning the bike outright with no creditor...thus the title is in his safe... :bananarock:

You are more than likely right.

I of course interpreted his comment to mean he had his title in his safe so they couldn’t take his bike.

Best regards

Jerry

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »

Exactly correct Haird. In my experience over a lifetime of vehicles either the title was mine or the banks. Not both. Fortunately at this stage of life that same safe contains the titles for everything we own.  :bananarock:

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.