Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Is it time to sell?  (Read 4172 times)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Is it time to sell?
« on: May 21, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »

Those that know me have probably heard me say how much I love my Road King and that I would likely die with it. Well, since I bought the Road Glide, and added my personal touches, it's become my new favorite and I haven't rode the Road King in nearly a year. The 16 year old in me is saying keep them both but the adult in me (yes I do have one) is saying sell it.

So, to those that have parted with a loved bike, how'd did you know it was truly time?

Joe

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Is it time to sell?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »

I just sold the first Electra Glide I ever owned.
I’ve had it covered up for a few years and rode it about a year ago. I wanted it to go to someone who would restore and respect the older bikes. After talking to potential buyers I found a guy who I “connected” with.
He never questioned my asking price as he knew that I knew what is was worth. He paid cash, never even asked to start it! I assured him it ran fine and everything worked. He will restore it and add it to his collection.
He reminds me of me many years ago.
Deal done. He has called a couple of times wanting to buy some other parts I’ve had way too long. He knows I ask a fair price and he’s ok with that.
Win win for both of us. He was very polite and respectful from the beginning, that goes a long way with me.
I’m thinking of selling another bike soon but newer and hope to find another buyer like him!

Good luck finding that one buyer, after dealing with all the others!
HOGMIKE

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »

Do you ever really "know" it's time to sell? There are too many factors. But if you haven't used something in a year that is depreciating in value, it's certainly time to consider it. When I had my 2009 SERG 3, I rode my Titan Gecko Stretch regularly. It was a blast and never failed to turn heads. When I traded the SERG for the 15 CVO RGU, however, it was so comfortable and fun to ride that I rarely if ever rode the Titan. So, I put it up for sale at what I thought was a very high price and someone from the Netherlands actually paid the price. That's when I knew it was time to sell.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 01:00:21 PM »

Thanks for your input guys. You've addressed two things that have been on my mind. First, I'd have to find "that guy" that wants my RK worse than I do. Second, they'd have to be willing to pay what I think is a fair price. I know I'll never get near what I've got invested in it but, I'd have to get considerably more than a base 14 CVO RK would sell for. At least at this time.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 08:20:09 PM »

I try not to get too attached to things.  If you aren't riding it, then why keep it.  I like to see it go to someone who is going to enjoy and appreciate it.  That's just my thoughts.  Stuart.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 12:52:21 AM »

Agree with Stu.  Had an RK that I rode for 15 years, spared no expense making it just as I wanted.  Last year I owned it I rode it less than 2,000 miles, so it was sold.  Better to be ridden by somebody than sitting collecting dust.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 10:55:15 AM »

I try not to get too attached to things.  If you aren't riding it, then why keep it.  I like to see it go to someone who is going to enjoy and appreciate it.  That's just my thoughts.  Stuart.

Agree with Stu.  Had an RK that I rode for 15 years, spared no expense making it just as I wanted.  Last year I owned it I rode it less than 2,000 miles, so it was sold.  Better to be ridden by somebody than sitting collecting dust.

I definitely agree with you both.....kind of. I don't typically get emotionally attached to my stuff and I don't think that's the case now. I just really enjoy riding the RK and wonder if I'll miss that ride when it's gone. The RG is a great ride but it's definitely a different feel. My problem is I keep telling myself I'm taking the Road King out next time but I've been ending up on the Road Glide. The RG is new to me and I've been making improvements to it so that's part of why I've been riding it more but I really enjoy riding the king when I do take it out.

I guess I'm going to start tracking my mileage on both and then I'll better see if the king has truly become a dust collector. I'll make a decision later this year.

Thanks for you input. - Joe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »

The downside to "emotional" attachment is that you're the only one emotionally attached; and that does not justify a greater asking price to a new buyer.  For that new buyer it's just one of several bikes he/she is probably looking at.  And, unless that person is an idiot, he or she will keep shopping until they find a buyer that is realistic rather than emotional. 

All the fun we've had with a bike doesn't make it worth more.  Most of the mods, upgrades, etc we've sweated over only make it worth more (cost more) to us.  The new owner may build his/her own memories with the machine.  But those aren't there yet at time of purchase.  If they're anything close to an intelligent buyer they're not letting any of that prior owner's baggage (or internal justifications for asking more $$$) get in the way of their intelligent purchase.

mark

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »

My two cents on having two baggers.  When you get the new bagger, that’s the bike you gravitate towards riding.  The older one tends to sit there and not get ridden much.  You’ve got ask if it’s worth paying insurance and maintenance if you’re only riding the bike sparingly.  Rather than keeping my old bagger when replacing it with a new one, I bought a used Ducati Monster 1200, which is my around town, short ride bike.   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 08:38:09 PM by Mark »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »

Joe . Here is the way it usually goes.  New rg. Old rk.  New rg.  Old rk.   Of course the new rg is going to win.   How can it not 😁?    It is newer and has tons more goodies on it.  So that is why I don't get too attached to things that can be replaced.  Just saying. Stuart.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 06:28:37 PM »

You will know when it’s time. But nothing wrong with keeping a piece for nostalgia when a future owner won’t appreciate said part……
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 07:08:13 AM »

I have 19 CVO RG and my 13 CVO king.  I put over 20,000 miles on the Road Glide last year, and right a 6000 milers on the King.  I still really enjoy riding the King.  Its either staying a while longer or being traded for the Pan America S. 

I have been thinking about this a couple weeks now.  Part of me says its new and different and will be fun still have the RG.  Other part keeps telling me I'll miss my king and regret it.  If I was still working I'd keep the king and get the Pan America.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »

I have 19 CVO RG and my 13 CVO king.  I put over 20,000 miles on the Road Glide last year, and right a 6000 milers on the King.  I still really enjoy riding the King.  Its either staying a while longer or being traded for the Pan America S. 

I have been thinking about this a couple weeks now.  Part of me says its new and different and will be fun still have the RG.  Other part keeps telling me I'll miss my king and regret it.  If I was still working I'd keep the king and get the Pan America.

I’ve been on a program to “downsize” for the past few years.
Down to one hot rod and 3 bikes! I’m going to sell one of the bikes I rarely use anymore. I was going to take it on the club ride today but it’s a long ride and the new bike is much more comfortable!
We are in a smaller house now and down to one acre to take care of. My tractor is now bigger than I need and my brother wants it! LOL
Too many vehicles that I don’t use and being in CA the cost of just keeping them out ways the use factor.
Time to let someone else enjoy them as I have.
 8)
HOGMIKE

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 06:01:30 AM »

Having two bikes is nice. You always have one to ride even if one is in the shop. You don’t rack up mileage as quick on them as you would on a single bike. Plus it’s just a different ride. My limited is more of a 2 up bike when my wife and I go on our long trips. SG is the bike I ride solo. I enjoy them both.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 07:35:20 AM »

Been there, done that! I had 4 at one time, but down to just my Road Glide and my son's old beater Super Glide. I struggled with selling my '17 Road King that was really a sharp bike, but 3 1/2 years I only put 6k on it, and I have almost 35k on my '15 Road Glide. Between insurance and license feed it was about 400 bucks a year to own the Road King before I ever started it. And I spent more time cleaning it than riding it. It is a pretty bike! But ultimately after it was advertised nationally for a few months "that guy" bought it, and it has a great new home. I hope he's riding it non stop! I wish I had every HD I ever owned, but what would I do with them? I'm to the point where I much prefer to ride it than clean it. And if it isn't getting used, it's got to go!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 02:49:43 PM »

Joe . Here is the way it usually goes.  New rg. Old rk.  New rg.  Old rk.   Of course the new rg is going to win.   How can it not 😁?    It is newer and has tons more goodies on it.  So that is why I don't get too attached to things that can be replaced.  Just saying. Stuart.

You know Stu, the funny thing is that the RG doesn't have much more than the RK. It is a little more comfortable and I did just add the heated/cooled seat but other than that I've pretty much got the same goodies on both bikes.

When I had the 13 Ultra, the two bikes rode differently because of the bat wing. The RG is pretty nimble without the fairing weight on the handlebars and it makes almost as much power as my RK so it's about as fun to ride.

After reading all the great comments and advice, I think, at least for now, I'm going to keep them both and ride them when I can. I'm down from 4 bikes to two and I've got plenty of room. If Harley ever builds another one that I just can't live without I guess I'll get rid of one of the old ones, or maybe not...

Take care,

Joe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 04:21:55 PM »

Two bikes is necessary.  One might break (or it might just be cranky).  Three bikes is not inappropriate.  With that you do have an emergency redundant backup bike for those times when one of the other two is broken (or cranky).  So you're not being overindulgent until you've gone past three bikes.  That quantitative analysis does only apply when there's just a single rider in the household.  Multiple riders does up the MBR (minimum bike requirement).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:15:08 PM by Twolanerider »

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 04:39:50 PM »

Two bikes is necessary.  One might break (or it might just be cranky).  Three bikes is not inappropriate.  With that you do have an emergency redundant backup bike for those times when one of the other two is broken (or cranky).  So you're being overindulgent until you've gone past three bikes.  That quantitative analysis does only apply when there's just a single rider in the household.  Multiple riders does up the MBR (minimum bike requirement).

I do like the way you think!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »

Two bikes is necessary.  One might break (or it might just be cranky).  Three bikes is not inappropriate.  With that you do have an emergency redundant backup bike for those times when one of the other two is broken (or cranky).  So you're being overindulgent until you've gone past three bikes.  That quantitative analysis does only apply when there's just a single rider in the household.  Multiple riders does up the MBR (minimum bike requirement).
I'm thinking Don was justifying his own stable more so than he was offering advice for you selling/keeping your bike(s). IE: the voices in his head at the keyboard again. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 08:16:30 PM »

I'm thinking Don was justifying his own stable more so than he was offering advice for you selling/keeping your bike(s). IE: the voices in his head at the keyboard again. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That whole thesis made perfect sense to me Gary.  Me and the voices.  And the bikes.  We all agreed indoobieably  8)  .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 08:17:19 PM »

Knew that logic was logical.  Makes perfect sense to everyone. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 08:27:42 PM »

That whole thesis made perfect sense to me Gary.  Me and the voices.  And the bikes.  We all agreed indoobieably  8)  .
Now why am I not surprised they were all in agreement. :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 09:02:28 PM »

I rode my green bike today. I’ve had it advertised for about a week with no action.
I told the wife it didn’t sell and we “have” to keep it because nobody wants it.
I’m not sure she believes me but I’m going with that excuse!

It’s still a blast to ride, no drips, runs or errors on this one. Only took me 20 years to dial it in!
I’ll keep it for my solo bike on day rides with the club.
We discussed just keeping 2 but………3 will work for me.
 :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:06:22 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 11:09:13 PM »

I rode my green bike today. I’ve had it advertised for about a week with no action.
I told the wife it didn’t sell and we “have” to keep it because nobody wants it.
I’m not sure she believes me but I’m going with that excuse!

It’s still a blast to ride, no drips, runs or errors on this one. Only took me 20 years to dial it in!
I’ll keep it for my solo bike on day rides with the club.
We discussed just keeping 2 but………3 will work for me.
 :2vrolijk_21:

See that Gary?  Three bikes just like a fairy tale; just right 👌😎

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 12:07:27 AM »

I traded in a 2013 CVO Road King last year in April for a 2020 CVO Road Glide. I LOVED that King. Many custom accessories, blueprinted 124" motor, the whole works. I got comments on it everywhere I went. It had about 90,000 miles and was starting to nickel/dime me with problems. My Road Glide has almost 50,000 miles now and as much as I miss the King, I don't regret the trade. The bike isn't as flashy. In fact, the paint scheme is rather bland. But I love the new motor and newer Rushmore features. A better all-around touring bike. The King will always have a special place in my heart.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »

Women- Don't know what they want; just know they don't like what they have.
Men- Know exactly what they want; upon getting it they lose interest.
I heard someone say this years ago and it stuck with me. During my wife's 20 years with the MoCo we bought at least 20 new Harleys. Some I kept for a number of years but the fleet would become too large and they would come out with something new I just had to have. I am down to 7 bikes now (3 Harleys and 4 from other brands) and I feel that is a good number. I never get attached to stuff and the only noun I am truly in love with is my wife. (as far as earthly things go) I say if you've lost interest in something and you're just tripping over it in the garage sell it while it's worth something and put the money towards something else that has your attention. Too many times guys save stuff and it starts to suffer from neglect. Now you go to sell it and it's worth 60% (or less) than it was when you kept it all shiny and nice. I've owned several toys that I had no intention of selling but someone wanted it more than me and made me an offer. 3 of those times were at a show when I was proudly putting the toy on display when someone walked up and asked if I would entertain an offer. In all those cases the money meant more than any emotional attachment I had to the vehicle. I guess you gotta follow your heart and use your best judgement.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »

See that Gary?  Three bikes just like a fairy tale; just right 👌😎
LOL!!! Ok, point made. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110Mofo

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 02:17:26 PM »

indoobieably  :pimp:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 07:02:00 AM »

Three seems to be a good number for me.  Have had three since October of 2012.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 24 queries.