Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: "I tried Hard to like the Harley CVO but just could not do it!  (Read 6863 times)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: "I tried Hard to like the Harley CVO but just could not do it!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »

Good point! Took 25k before we said goodbye to that suck ass stock seat. Yes the heat was nice, but comfort was not in the minds of the design crew ( sorry Willie). In Derek's defence he was used to smooth riding and comfort, not what we have! You just can't compare a GW to any Harley, it is not what he is accustom to. Smooth, balanced, reliable, comfortable touring. We like it Hard, Uncomfortable, In the shop for warranty repairs! "I have never seen one of those" kind of lifestyle.  ;D. Sorry, but I have been through HELL with my CVO, just ask 110mofo. He went through the same crap.
 I ride a Harley, but drive a Honda, turned 95K on a 2006 just yesterday and it is Rock Solid! Can't say the same for a 2006 Harley with 30K!

Decano

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC2
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

I do agree that the Goldwing is a more advanced piece of machinery, but, showing my shallow side, there is no comparison between a Honda and a Harley when it comes to looks and style.  Although happily married, I do enjoy the smiles and looks from girls when I cruse down the road. I don't think the reaction is the same when they see a Goldwing passing them.  Women aside, kids are fascinated by a Harley and you feel like a rock star when the kids' jaws drop as you ride by with all that chrome and characteristic Harley design. If I didn't care about looks, it wouldn't matter what I rode and I wouldn't have spent $35,000 on my ride.  BUT, if you are not as shallow as I am, there are not many reasons to pick a Harley over a Honda. By all means enjoy the comfort of the Goldwing. :2vrolijk_21:

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 04:43:40 PM »

Is the lighted dipstick still for sale?If so how much?

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »

BigDerek,

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. As someone who sold his GL1800 (with 100K miles on it), and bought an 1150 GS Adventure, I've ridden the other two bikes you have recent experience on. It was quite an experience going from the 1800 to the GS, but I still "connected" with the bike right away. I am hoping to have a better experience than you did, as I take delivery of my SERG in 2 weeks... I've been lucky so far, as I had never thrown a foot over the GL1800, or the GS before I bought them. I applaud you for taking a chance on the SERG... sucks it didn't work out for you; I hope you don't take too bad a beating and the bike find a good home.

Enjoy your GL1800 and your GS! If I ever make it to the UK, you can bet I'll wave... because I am a rider first... no matter what brand I'm on.

REGGAB

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »

Good on ya, Big D.  You know what you want, and you went for it.  Sounds to me like you're moving on to that which best suits you and your wife.  That's great.  Ride safe.

Bigderek

• Big Derek

• CVO1: Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic FLHTCUSE4 Electra Glide
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »

Is the lighted dipstick still for sale?If so how much?

Hi John,

Yes I have some items for the cvo they are now on the dreaded ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=220400946076

cheers Big D
Big D
UK

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 01:32:31 AM »

420 miles on his CVO was enough to know that he didn't like it. It only took me 300 kms during one afternoon demo ride to know the 1800 Goldwing wasn't for us. It's all about personal preference, comfort and what a rider is used to. Change can be difficult for anyone. 

About the Wing being more advanced. There are many areas where a CVO Ultra has the edge and many areas where the Wing comes out ahead. ABS brakes, rider comfort, stereo, cruise, gas mileage and wind protection are superior on the Harley. Yes, the Wing's motor is more advanced. But the Wing only comes with a 5 speed overdrive. And there is very little plastic on an Ultra. Not so with many other bikes including the Wing.

My wife and I wave at all riders too. No matter what they ride. At gas stops or meal stops we try talking to any rider. Again no matter what brand they bike.

Life is just to short, so ride, make friends and have fun!!

Hiya, Yes you are right you just know even after a short ride if the bike is going to do it for you. The ABS on the Harley is as good as the ABS on the wing the 6 speed box on the Harley is good but very boxy the wing could do with a 6 sped box as yesterday on my 200 mile debut ride on th enew Wing I was pulling 6th gear as i was use to both the Harley and my BMW GSA having 6 gears! The GSA box is the best gear box ever no clunk an dnot boxy just smooth as silk.

As to rider/passenger comfort well I think my dear wife Christine would have some comment on that one! and me to but as we have covered that on old grown it's all down to choice and it would be a crap world if we were all the same....
And I agree we wave and nod at all bikers here and in Europe I love Europe  close to all bikers are so friendly no matter what bikes they ride they wave with their leg/foot if they are on the Motorways autobhan's sometimes and coming past you and we also use the V victory ride safe hand sign.

Enjoy your Harley and of course the sunshine!

Big D
Big D
UK

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 01:39:38 AM »

BigDerek,

Enjoy your GL1800 and your GS! If I ever make it to the UK, you can bet I'll wave... because I am a rider first... no matter what brand I'm on.

Hi Crusty see you are in Japan, thats a place I will visit one day. Anyway as you say you sold your GL1800 and I keep buying em, we rode a couple of hundred miles yesterday after taking delivery of our new Wing and both of us loved it! Yea the box could do with another gear and we only get one model here in Europe its the top of the shop air bag abs nav etc. The only trouble with wings is that you buy one then you need to fit about 3-4-5k of accessories to make it special and wow factor!  but in about 10 mins I will be in the workshop doing exactly that!

Be safe and wave to bikers don't know how to spell it as spelling ain't my best thing but th eword is Bona-me!

BE HAPPY and ride safe

Big D

P.S. if ever your in the UK be sure to look us up we can go for a ride on the GSA's
Big D
UK

Bigderek

• Big Derek

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 01:41:59 AM »

Good on ya, Big D.  You know what you want, and you went for it.  Sounds to me like you're moving on to that which best suits you and your wife.  That's great.  Ride safe.

Yes thank's for that hope you are having  a good weekend we will enjoy our bikes and today we have sunshine here in the UK!

Cheers

Big D

Big D
UK

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »

420 miles on his CVO was enough to know that he didn't like it. It only took me 300 kms during one afternoon demo ride to know the 1800 Goldwing wasn't for us. It's all about personal preference, comfort and what a rider is used to. Change can be difficult for anyone. 

About the Wing being more advanced. There are many areas where a CVO Ultra has the edge and many areas where the Wing comes out ahead. ABS brakes, rider comfort, stereo, cruise, gas mileage and wind protection are superior on the Harley. Yes, the Wing's motor is more advanced. But the Wing only comes with a 5 speed overdrive. And there is very little plastic on an Ultra. Not so with many other bikes including the Wing.

My wife and I wave at all riders too. No matter what they ride. At gas stops or meal stops we try talking to any rider. Again no matter what brand they bike.

Life is just to short, so ride, make friends and have fun!!

I have tried to stay away from the Wing  vs  CVO debate but suggesting the CVO has superior breaks to the Wing is comical. The Wing not only has ABS but also a proportioning valve that maintains an 80 / 20 pressure  variance to front and back breaks for perfect breaking. The Wing will out maneuver the stock CVO on any type of road. The CVO has a much more relaxed riding position than the Wing . If we are comparing the Ultra CVO to the Wing , The Wing is much more stable in windy situations as the fairing is frame mounted. The wing has an adjustable wind shield to allow for deferent height riders the CVO does not. Plastic is an issue with the Wing but it doesn't dent like the tank on most bikes or the front fenders. I think they are both great bikes , but quality goes to the WING Style goes to the CVO .  ;)
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »

I have tried to stay away from the Wing  vs  CVO debate but suggesting the CVO has superior breaks to the Wing is comical. The Wing not only has ABS but also a proportioning valve that maintains an 80 / 20 pressure  variance to front and back breaks for perfect breaking. The Wing will out maneuver the stock CVO on any type of road. The CVO has a much more relaxed riding position than the Wing . If we are comparing the Ultra CVO to the Wing , The Wing is much more stable in windy situations as the fairing is frame mounted. The wing has an adjustable wind shield to allow for deferent height riders the CVO does not. Plastic is an issue with the Wing but it doesn't dent like the tank on most bikes or the front fenders. I think they are both great bikes , but quality goes to the WING Style goes to the CVO .  ;)
So, what now, we change the name to CVOWing.com or what. I can't believe we are still talking about this.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

REGGAB

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »

So, what now, we change the name to CVOWing.com or what. I can't believe we are still talking about this.
::) ::) ::)

You have a real nice, Blessed, and happy day there, Mr. LarryB.   :coolblue:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

Not sure how to take that

REGGAB

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »

Not sure how to take that

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »

OK...................................I will!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.