Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air cushion seat  (Read 1186 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Air cushion seat
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »

I won one of them at a rally I was at, but have never used it as I have a Road Zeppelin on my 09 SERG. Looking at trying it out on the K1600B I’m planning on purchasing later in the year though.
Looks like it is well made and is similar to the original Airhawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »

I've had two Airhawks, which are about identical.  I kept getting hot spots on my butt after about an hour in the saddle and the Airhawk fixed that.  I'm 165 lbs. and don't have a lot of padding back there. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »

I'm considering getting one for me and the miss. When we do a trip after any hour or so the old caboose starts trying to fine a comfortable spot to settle. Two hours tops and we got to stop and give the old butt and pins some time out.
Hopefully these air seats will make for a more comfortable ride for longer time in the saddle.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 05:18:14 PM »

I've had two Airhawks, which are about identical.  I kept getting hot spots on my butt after about an hour in the saddle and the Airhawk fixed that.  I'm 165 lbs. and don't have a lot of padding back there.
mine gets hot spots as well. How did they fix that?

BigLew

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
    • CVO2: 2021 FXLRS
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »

I tried one but found the additional height made it uncomfortable on the bike. Tried it for a couple of weeks to try to get used to it but ended up taking it off. Eventually went to my local auto trimmer and got them to put in a Gel insert - found this much better

mark

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 08:57:33 PM »

mine gets hot spots as well. How did they fix that?

BigLew
Are you saying you get hotspots with the Airhawk?  I was getting hotspots sitting on the seat - when I started using the Airhawk, my hotspots went away.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 11:38:33 PM »

I tried one but found the additional height made it uncomfortable on the bike. Tried it for a couple of weeks to try to get used to it but ended up taking it off. Eventually went to my local auto trimmer and got them to put in a Gel insert - found this much better

That had crossed my mind (forgot to mention it) about the affect of the additional height would have.

I would assume you tried it at different air pressures.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 05:38:20 AM »

We ride with 2 HD Road Zeppelin air pads . For long trips they really help, as I run with very little air in mine bit my wife has hers pumped up more. Yes it can change your seat height but can be adjusted when you need more or less when needed. I very seldom ride without it as it really helps getting the old tush off the seat especially on those long mile days. I feel this is well worth the money I spent as we have been using the Road Zeppelin pad since 2013. A lot of happy miles!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »

I think you will find that most folks use to much air in the Air Hawke. I know I did initially. Neighbor had MS, sat on one for his last 10 years. He Is the one who told me you need to let it down to almost flat, then sit on it on the bike. If you can feel bottom anywhere put a very small amount of air in, but not enough that you can even tell you added to it. Continue with this approach until you butt is suspended, but only a 1/4" or so at what used to be the hot spots. These spots will displace the air to other areas. Took awhile but after getting it right it was pretty amazing, But if you put to much air in to where it looks "inflated" you will probably not be happy.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »

That makes sense what you're saying there Don, you're meaning just enough air to clear you off the saddle so the height would really be minimal.

mark

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »

Yes...you don't air up these seats like an inner tube.  You're supposed to add just enough air to lift your but from the seat.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »

That makes sense what you're saying there Don, you're meaning just enough air to clear you off the saddle so the height would really be minimal.

Air is hard.  Yeah, just a little lift.  Not a solid balloon.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:03:10 PM »

Best part is you can very the pressure a little every few hours if needed. Kind like change shoes mid day

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.