Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: M8 sumpping problems stage 4 kit  (Read 17199 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: M8 sumpping problems stage 4 kit
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 04:50:58 PM »

Well mine sumped again this weekend.  Dealer is picking up Thursday.  We will see what they say is the problem this time.

I did the Stage 4 with 498 cam, auto tune and full exhaust.  I have the latest revision oil pump.  Dealer just called and said they couldn't replicate the problem and had the factory rep out last week.  Their recommendation was to drive it without getting on it.  Lol because that is exactly why I paid $7k for a stage 4 kit, to ride it as if it was stock.

Good luck bro. Been there done that. Get ready for a battle.

When dealing with H-D warranty and technical problems it is probably best to deal directly with H-D and not let the dealership be the middle-man, especially when your dealership is staffed with incompetent A-holes.  As harleytacticalnut said, get ready for a battle.  It doesn't have to be that way, as some people have had their issues addressed without having to threaten lawsuits and open warfare, but in those cases the dealership was usually competent and helpful and supported the customer when dealing with H-D warranty issues.  Stick to your guns and go over some heads.

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE,
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE, 2017 FLHXSE, 2018 FLTRXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLTRXSE, 2020 FLHTKSE, 2021 FLTRXSE
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »

When dealing with H-D warranty and technical problems it is probably best to deal directly with H-D and not let the dealership be the middle-man, especially when your dealership is staffed with incompetent A-holes.  As harleytacticalnut said, get ready for a battle.  It doesn't have to be that way, as some people have had their issues addressed without having to threaten lawsuits and open warfare, but in those cases the dealership was usually competent and helpful and supported the customer when dealing with H-D warranty issues.  Stick to your guns and go over some heads.

JMHO - Jerry

Great advice Jerry.
Defend the 2nd Amendment with your life

zkriegel

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »

I have a call into the customer service line with a case number.  Hopefully they call back today.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 10:07:42 PM »

well I guess I am now a member of this unfortunate club. Last weekend I was "going hard" and noticed crazy heart coming out of the motor. When I stopped and checked the oil it didn't even register on the dipstick (no lights were on). I put in a quart and a half and then bike ran at about 50% power. I was out in the desert so I made it to the small town of Borrego Springs and called the dealer. They did come get me which was cool since I was over 100 miles away and then called me a couple days later and told me it sumped and motor trashed. I have a great relationship with this dealer (hopefully will be saying that after this is over) and only good news is they will let me do the stage 4 when they fix and just pay diff in parts. I got the bike in Oct 17 and the stage 4 was not available at the time.
Thank God I have a 2nd bike to ride while this "project" goes on. Who knows how long and who I will end up fighting with before I am back in the wind on this bike. Hate the thought of having to break in another fricking motor. The under 3000 rpm deal is complete torture to me!
This unfortunately is the 3rd motor I have trashed in the last 3 years. With JC retired and moved away I can't even blame him for this one...
Alan

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 01:59:45 AM »

good news is they will let me do the stage 4 when they fix and just pay diff in parts. I got the bike in Oct 17 and the stage 4 was not available at the time.
Sorry to hear about this, Alan.  Does your M8 have the Stage 3? (i'm guessing it does , but wanted to verify.)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »

Wow, sorry to hear that Allan.  HD sure needs to figure out the real cause of this with their stage III and IV kits.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE,
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE, 2017 FLHXSE, 2018 FLTRXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLTRXSE, 2020 FLHTKSE, 2021 FLTRXSE
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

I am so sorry to hear that another one failed. I hope the dealer takes better care of you than what my local dealer did when my 17 FLHXSE were sumping. Bought my second 17’ FLHXSE on June 3 2017. Dropped off to dealer for stage 4 kit and total black out of the bike on June 5 . Got bike back July 3. Rode it for 3 hours on July 4 when bike started sumping. Turned bike back into dealer on July 5. Got bike back aug 9, bike still sumping. Took bike back to dealer aug 11 and factory rep met on aug 19. Got my bike back sept 21. I went on my annual season ending tail of the dragon, cherohala skyway, moonshiners 28 run on sept 25 to have my bike start sumping again. When I went to return my bike for sumping related issues the dealer banned me from the property because he said he couldn’t make me happy no matter what they did. Total BS from POS Canadian owner that weaseled his way into this local dealership. I ended up cutting my loses on that POS and traded in my second 17’ FLHXSE on Dec 13 for the 18 FLTRXSE in gunship gray. I love the color as well as the bike. Suits my style perfect. I made a promise not to get into stage upgrades on this one because of how much I lost on the last 2-FLHXSE I bought in 17. But I have put just as much $$$ into this one as I did the last 2. Except for engine mods. It’s killing me as I am craving for more but then I know what would be involved with those upgrades but Then I read posts like this that make me want to stay the course for now. I truely feel your pain because I bought 2 of those bikes last year and lost most of my riding season dealing with the sumping BS. Problem was I traded in my 13 cvo breakout and my 12 FLHTK so I didn’t have a back up bike anymore. Glad to hear that you have another ride because I got a feeling you may need it brother. Good luck and hope your local dealer is much more professional to deal with.
Defend the 2nd Amendment with your life

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »

well I guess I am now a member of this unfortunate club. Last weekend I was "going hard" and noticed crazy heart coming out of the motor. When I stopped and checked the oil it didn't even register on the dipstick (no lights were on). I put in a quart and a half and then bike ran at about 50% power. I was out in the desert so I made it to the small town of Borrego Springs and called the dealer. They did come get me which was cool since I was over 100 miles away and then called me a couple days later and told me it sumped and motor trashed. I have a great relationship with this dealer (hopefully will be saying that after this is over) and only good news is they will let me do the stage 4 when they fix and just pay diff in parts. I got the bike in Oct 17 and the stage 4 was not available at the time.
Thank God I have a 2nd bike to ride while this "project" goes on. Who knows how long and who I will end up fighting with before I am back in the wind on this bike. Hate the thought of having to break in another fricking motor. The under 3000 rpm deal is complete torture to me!
This unfortunately is the 3rd motor I have trashed in the last 3 years. With JC retired and moved away I can't even blame him for this one...

Sorry to hear you've joined the "club". After my own 2 stage 4 117s failed due to sumping (2017 CVO Limited), I'm now on my 3rd factory engine. Still currently stock and I'm struggling whether I should do the stage 4 upgrade on this 3rd engine. HD will upgrade the engine to stage 4 at no charge to me plus fully warranty the newly upgraded engine for 7 yrs. OR they will full refund my cost of all the Stage 4 parts but NOT the installation labor.

They don't make it easy. Still waiting to hear that they got a REAL solution to the sumping before diving back in again. Good luck with YOUR project.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:14:24 PM by Heatwave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »

Sorry to hear you've joined the "club". After my own 2 stage 4 117s failed due to sumping (2017 CVO Limited), I'm now on my 3rd factory engine. Still currently stock and I'm struggling whether I should do the stage 4 upgrade on this 3rd engine. HD will upgrade the engine to stage 4 at no charge to me plus fully warranty the newly upgraded engine for 7 yrs. OR they will full refund my cost of all the Stage 4 parts but NOT the installation labor.

They don't make it easy. Still waiting to hear that they got a REAL solution to the sumping before diving back in again. Good luck with YOUR project.

Can't help but have some morbid curiosity.  Did HD put those offers in writing or put a time limit on your choices?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »

Can't help but have some morbid curiosity.  Did HD put those offers in writing or put a time limit on your choices?

Offered verbally by the HD Regional Rep that has reviewed my entire case. He then wrote email to me with the same offer. At first he said NO on the 7 year coverage of my stage 4 upgrade but after the second failure, he went back to MoCo and they agreed to update my VIN to show that all the stage 4 parts are included once I make the next stage 4 upgrade.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »

Sorry to hear about this, Alan.  Does your M8 have the Stage 3? (i'm guessing it does , but wanted to verify.)
Yes, stage 3 on it
Alan

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 11:17:12 PM »

Has anyone had or heard of this problem on the 2018 117" CVO"S?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 01:24:45 AM »

Has anyone had or heard of this problem on the 2018 117" CVO"S?
When I talked to service mgr I asked him if he has seen this with either the upgraded oil pump or on the 18's which came with it and he said he had not for what ever that is worth
Alan

J.D.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »

I asked the local dealer about sumping, brake, and compensator issues in the newer bikes during a recent open house.

Sumping - " Heard about that on the very early M8 but we didn't see any, new oil pump fixed that."
Brakes - "Fluid changes every 2 years you'll be fine."
Compensator - "What issue?  Haven't heard of this or seen any yet."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »

I asked the local dealer about sumping, brake, and compensator issues in the newer bikes during a recent open house.

Sumping - " Heard about that on the very early M8 but we didn't see any, new oil pump fixed that."
Brakes - "Fluid changes every 2 years you'll be fine."
Compensator - "What issue?  Haven't heard of this or seen any yet."

Same old stories from most dealership personnel regarding any issues.  Harley has trained them well over the years, not in how to actually diagnose and fix stuff, but in how to obfuscate and outright lie to consumers.  Fits right in with the "that's normal, they all do that, it's supposed to be that way" line of BS people have been getting for decades.  Oh yeah, and as long as you pay us through the nose to change fluids every time you turn around you might not have certain problems.  No guarantee though, just take our word for it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 26 queries.