Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '00 SERG Critical Sensors  (Read 1968 times)

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
'00 SERG Critical Sensors
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:38:53 AM »

The old SERG has passed 81k miles & still 99% stock.  Haven't had to replace a single sensor  -  but  -  I'd like to start carrying spare sensors for the ones that, if failed, would down me on the side of the road.  I remember Twolane discussing which sensors were absolutely necessary for operation & which ones would still let you limp to a safe haven but can't find the thread. Anyone's memory better than mine?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: '00 SERG Critical Sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »

I always carry a crank position sensor.  They do fail and it's something you can change on the side of the road. 

Cam position sensors also occasionally die but that's more than you're going to deal with on the side of the road.  So not likely worth hauling with you other than to have as a spare in case a dealer didn't have stock.

The other pieces on the throttle body could be done on the road side if you're willing to raise the gas tank.  Again, more likely worth carrying just in case a dealer didn't have stock for the old stuff.

Before I converted my 2000 from Marelli to Delphi I did one thing at the crank sensor to make it easier to change should it ever crap out away from home (which it eventually did one day).  On the 01 and prior bikes the pigtail on the sensor is long.  Goes all the back to the transmission area.  It's wires are also in a wire wrap with other things going back that way.  I cut it's little harness and added a Deutsch connector that could be tucked away under the regulator.  Makes it easy to change.  That's also how Harley did it on the later bikes. 

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
Re: '00 SERG Critical Sensors
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »

Thanks for reply.  I'll for sure drop a crank position sensor in the saddlebag "just in case".  Not for me to change away from home but a dealer or indie probably isn't gonna have one in stock.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 25 queries.