Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noisy 2007 CVO  (Read 2331 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Noisy 2007 CVO
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »

A friend of mine has a 2007 SE ULTRA and has just finished spending a lot of money on it adding a number of goodies including a color matched tour pack and it looks amazing.

The problem is that he absolutely hates the noise that most of the '07's make and is almost to the point of giving up and trading it in on a '09 regular Ultra.

He has ridden my '08 SE and loves it!  Can't figure out why his doesn't run as good???

I have suggested that he install the "Isolated Drive System" available for the '07's to fix the problem.

My question is, do you agree that will solve his problems?

:nixweiss:

Otherwise, can he swap out his engine for a '08 110?

He loves his black & orange CVO and really doesn't want to part with it, so this is all I could suggest.

Thanks for your input.

Take care & ride safe,
Grizzly 
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Noisy 2007 CVO
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »

Unsure exactly what noise it is that aggrivates him.  My '07 O&B jester has never made any particularly objectionable noises but adding the IDS did smooth things out at lower rpms.  Cheap enough to give it a try before doing something foolish like taking a big, big $$ beating on a trade.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »

A friend of mine has a 2007 SE ULTRA and has just finished spending a lot of money on it adding a number of goodies including a color matched tour pack and it looks amazing.

The problem is that he absolutely hates the noise that most of the '07's make and is almost to the point of giving up and trading it in on a '09 regular Ultra.

He has ridden my '08 SE and loves it!  Can't figure out why his doesn't run as good???

I have suggested that he install the "Isolated Drive System" available for the '07's to fix the problem.

My question is, do you agree that will solve his problems?

:nixweiss:

Otherwise, can he swap out his engine for a '08 110?

He loves his black & orange CVO and really doesn't want to part with it, so this is all I could suggest.

Thanks for your input.

Take care & ride safe,
Grizzly 
Noise? What noise? Has he tried a full face helmet yet?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously, there are many causes for noise, you need to be more specific if you want better answers.
Regarding the IDS, I have added it to my '07 SERK and it works very well. For the money (I don't know if the H-D elbow grease discount still applies) it is one of the best add-ons you can buy for an '07. Changing the engine would not really make sense, have you looked at the cost?

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »

The IDS is a good idea for eliminating the low speed "jerkies" and improving overall smoothness, but I wouldn't count on it to reduce or eliminate engine or transmission noise.  It has absolutely no affect on the ticking from the engine, and very little if any affect on the gear whine from the trans.  What particular noise is he trying to eliminate?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:53:42 PM »

The new rocker boxes that I had installed when they did the PIP took care of the upper end noise, especially, in the 2800-3200 rpm range.  I had also done the grind the rocker boxes thing last year and it did not make much difference at all in that rpm range.

I just had the IDS installed last week, after 17000 miles.  Man, I wish I had done it a long time ago.  As GRC, says, it did not do anthing for noise, but it sure did a lot for smooth.  It virtually took all the vibration out of it at speed.  The trans is just as noisy as it has always been.  The indy that installed it also said that it sounds like the inner primary bearing is going.  He said had just replaced one on 07 with 18000+ miles that was gone.  Anyone had this issue?

New rocker boxes and IDS, yes.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »

Sorry, you're right... I should have been more specific.

The noise I am referring to is a rattle type noise which happens when the bike is under load.  I believe it happens in every gear and is quite apparent in the higher gears.

Not owning an '07, I just assumed that everyone who did is experiencing the same.

I agree that switching the engine is way too aggressive and trading it in would certainly cost him a bundle especially when he only has approximately 1,000 miles on it.  That's right 1,000 miles... He does own a couple of other bikes and his favorite is his '97 Ultra which has more than 100,000 miles and counting.

Any suggestions to help him out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Grizzly
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:59:51 PM by Grizzly »

RK2000

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »

Grizz,  The noise you are describing will be greatly improved with the installation of the IDS. Also switching the trans oil to Redline Heavy Duty ShockProof oil will help dampening the noise produced from the straight cut gears in the trany. I have done this to mine and noise is gone. Now if I can only get rid of the woodpecker beating on the metal gate and the heat, all will be good.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:02:14 PM »

Grizz,
has he had the bike looked at by either the dealer or an indie?  That's still a pretty vague description...where does the rattle sound like it's coming from?  The engine area, in front, the tranny area, or rear portion of the bike.  Any of those locations could mean different things.  He could have loose heat shields on his pipes, rocker box chatter, just about anything...it's kind of hard troubleshooting something like that online.  I put the IDS on my Jester, but it didn't take out the 5th gear whine in the tranny, it just smoothed the ride out....

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:35:09 AM »

Grizz,
has he had the bike looked at by either the dealer or an indie?  That's still a pretty vague description...where does the rattle sound like it's coming from?  The engine area, in front, the tranny area, or rear portion of the bike.  Any of those locations could mean different things.  He could have loose heat shields on his pipes, rocker box chatter, just about anything...it's kind of hard troubleshooting something like that online.  I put the IDS on my Jester, but it didn't take out the 5th gear whine in the tranny, it just smoothed the ride out....

That's where the frustration started... He has had it in to be checked by his dealer numerous times, leaving it there for days on end with no explanation other than "it's normal" for an '07 especially with a big motor.

He disagrees and so do I.  When I rode it, I didn't think it sounded right all.  When riding it I listen to where the noise was coming from - leftside, rightside, back, front???  All I can say is that when I leaned forward to listen to the front of the motor it appeared to be more apparent.  The heat shields have all been checked and are all securely fastened.

My wife had a '07 Ultra and the 5th gear did whine, no doubt about it.  However this is a definite rattle type noise that is much louder than the whine from the gear box.

I know he has not installed the IDS yet and I'm thinking that this maybe the answer???  At the very least, it'll be a smoother ride!

Thanks for any comments you may have.

Grizzly

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »

That's where the frustration started... He has had it in to be checked by his dealer numerous times, leaving it there for days on end with no explanation other than "it's normal" for an '07 especially with a big motor.

He disagrees and so do I.  When I rode it, I didn't think it sounded right all.  When riding it I listen to where the noise was coming from - leftside, rightside, back, front???  All I can say is that when I leaned forward to listen to the front of the motor it appeared to be more apparent.  The heat shields have all been checked and are all securely fastened.

My wife had a '07 Ultra and the 5th gear did whine, no doubt about it.  However this is a definite rattle type noise that is much louder than the whine from the gear box.

I know he has not installed the IDS yet and I'm thinking that this maybe the answer???  At the very least, it'll be a smoother ride!

Thanks for any comments you may have.

Grizzly

Grizzly,
If we wants to install the IDS, definitely tell him to install it.  Even if it doesn't quiet down the noise, it is worth the investment for the smoother ride.  I really like mine.   There's nothing more frustrating then a rattle or clatter that you can't find.  Wish there was more that I could offer you in the way of a solution.  :-\

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

Sorry, you're right... I should have been more specific.

The noise I am referring to is a rattle type noise which happens when the bike is under load.  I believe it happens in every gear and is quite apparent in the higher gears.

Not owning an '07, I just assumed that everyone who did is experiencing the same.

I agree that switching the engine is way too aggressive and trading it in would certainly cost him a bundle especially when he only has approximately 1,000 miles on it.  That's right 1,000 miles... He does own a couple of other bikes and his favorite is his '97 Ultra which has more than 100,000 miles and counting.

Any suggestions to help him out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Grizzly
I think I have had the same noise you speak of. Mine is 2700-29-3000 the sound changes in most every gear just in that area, above and below it is gone. Soon as I can get some miles I will know if it is still there after the fix.

BamaSE

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 12:40:02 AM »

Do you mind a newbie spilling his guts?

My bike (CUSE2)was the first 110 head redone by our dealer.  I took it in for a small oil leak at the base of the rear cyl.  When I picked it up I asked about the gasket and why it leaked?  They said the problem was not the base gasket but had done a complete head swap ordered by HD as a recall.  No leaks since but has been noisy from the heads ever since.  Tapping starts about 2250 and goes through several variations up thru 3000 rpm.  Have put 2500 miles on it like this hoping it would get better.  No such luck. 

I added the isolation damper (from Zanotti Motors for $198) and it was worth the money times 2!  Now in low revs it doesn't jerk like crazy.  But it did not quiet the heads like I hoped.

Had a tech ride the bike today because of the noises.  His report?  He heard all the noises and they sound normal to him.  Going back tomorrow to let the service manager take it for a ride. 

I rode a '95 Electra Glide Classic for years without a single trip to the dealer for a fix.  This bike has been back 4 times already and my hand grip heater is crapping out right now, I've got chrome peeling off a side cover and already had the rear wheel replaced for chrome popping.

I'm still hoping to get the "bugs" worked out and end up with a reliable ride but ... 

Thanks for letting me vent. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:05:49 AM by BamaSE »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 12:56:46 AM »

BamaSE,

You may need to have the rocker boxes clearanced or clearanced some more.  When they put the heads back on they may not have quite aligned the rocker boxes like they were before and they may now be hitting.   Another cure of the same problem is new rocker boxes from the factory that come pre clearanced, but they would be at your expense, I believe it is the same part number just ends in a -99a now instead of -99.

FWIW, the Moco paid for the rocker boxes to be clearanced on quite a few bikes here on the forums.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 25 queries.