Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thundermax with Autotune  (Read 7260 times)

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Thundermax with Autotune
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »

Please help me to understand a little more about the TM/AT system.  First off, I’ve searched all over both the Thundermax & Zippers websites and cannot find any listings of available maps.  Are these provided free, are they provided free if you purchase through them, is that the reason you can purchase elsewhere for $130 less?  If you purchased one supplied with a compatible map and the bike ran fine without any further tweaking is a computer required at all, or is it still required for initial setup?

Thanks

Gregg

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Thundermax with Autotune
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »

Please help me to understand a little more about the TM/AT system.  First off, I’ve searched all over both the Thundermax & Zippers websites and cannot find any listings of available maps.  Are these provided free, are they provided free if you purchase through them, is that the reason you can purchase elsewhere for $130 less?  If you purchased one supplied with a compatible map and the bike ran fine without any further tweaking is a computer required at all, or is it still required for initial setup?

Thanks

Gregg

Zippers map are supplied as part of the product.  Their entire library is actually supplied as part of the software product.  But the map deemed closest to your application is loaded before you receive it.  A computer is needed for initial setup.

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »

Thanks TL, so am I to assume then if you purchased it elsewhere there would be no library and you would have to build a map?

Gregg

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 07:44:48 PM »

Thanks TL, so am I to assume then if you purchased it elsewhere there would be no library and you would have to build a map?

Gregg

Ask the supplier to make sure what they include with the bundle.  But I don't think the assumption would be correct.  The CD supplied with the package that contains the software to tune/manage/install the Thundermax also includes the map library.  You might have to check the T-Max website (the maps are also all there if I remember correctly) to figure out which one is which.  But availablity of their canned maps is not a difficulty. 

The only recommendation I'd make is to check the T-Max website or Zippers itself prior to ordering.  You'll want to see how closely any map they have matches your bike's configuration.  The autotune will bring it where you want it to a point.  But it can't stretch to extreme limits.  So the closer is the base map the better off you are.

ajh

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 07:52:51 PM »

Gregg,

This is Adam from Zipper's. John (JDK20723) is in Daytona so I'm stepping in to help out with technical questions.

To answer your question, all ThunderMax modules come with the full Zipper's Base Map library, regardless of where you buy it. This includes ALL future maps generated at Zipper's, and I can assure you that we are constantly creating maps. A computer with internet access is a requirement for using the ThunderMax system. The SmartLink IV software comes with the latest Base Map library when you purchase the ECM, but an internet connection will be required for future Map Library updates, Software updates, as well as Firmware updates. All current and future software, firmware and Map library upgrades are free and considered to be part of the ThunderMax system. If you buy today and we upgrade the firmware, you will have access to the free download through the software.

Please feel free to visit the ThunderMax website (www.Thunder-Max.com) and download the latest software (SmartLink IV Version 17.9) and instruction manual. This will give you access to seeing the layout of the software, as well as browsing the Base Map library before you spend your money. The instructions will walk you through the Map selection process, which will give you access to viewing ALL current Base Map files. The instructions have just been updated to reflect the many advancements that have occurred over the past few months, as well as the Unlock code for the SmartLink software.

Although the ThunderMax system has a lot of options, it is very feasible that once you've initially setup the module, you may never need to connect to it again with a computer if you purchase the Auto-Tune unit at the same time. I've heard both scenarios from current customers, some choose to tweak with the settings regularly, and some put it on and just ride. I cannot guarantee that it will never need to be linked to a computer, but it certainly is feasible. If you make drastic changes to the engine however, a new map will need to be selected and loaded, which will require connecting to the ECM. I'll let the members of the forum chime in and give their experiences on this matter for more firsthand experience.

Thanks for the discussion!
Adam

Adam Herbert
Mechanical Engineer
Zipper's Performance Products
Red Shift Cams
www.Thunder-Max.com

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »

Adam

Thanks for the clarification and direction.  I might also add that I was a little apprehensive about purchasing a Zippers product because of some posts of late concerning a lack of contactability (doubt that’s a word) following the sale.  Your replying to my post has set those concerns aside for now.

Thanks

Gregg

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 10:32:02 AM »

Gregg,
Seal the deal on the TMax and Auto Tune, I did after recommendations from my two buddies that have 07 Street Glides and 103 kits in them.  I just installed mine last weekend and LOVE it!!  I used to be apprehensive about Reving a Harley past 4500 RPM, but with this TMax, the Bike loves it!!  And so do I.  It is a very easy install and setup and like Adam said, the new Tuning manual can really help you dial your bike in!
Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way for you.
TimBone

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 01:11:56 PM »

Gregg,
Seal the deal on the TMax and Auto Tune, I did after recommendations from my two buddies that have 07 Street Glides and 103 kits in them.  I just installed mine last weekend and LOVE it!!  I used to be apprehensive about Reving a Harley past 4500 RPM, but with this TMax, the Bike loves it!!  And so do I.  It is a very easy install and setup and like Adam said, the new Tuning manual can really help you dial your bike in!
Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way for you.
TimBone

TimBone (or any other recent TM/AT User),
Has your TM/AT setup caused any other problems on your 07 SEUC?  Any related problems with Turn signals (or Auto-Cancel function)?  ACR?  Security system?  Any other side-effects?

I've read several reports about TM/AT on this forum, and am sold on the system.  But I think I recall a couple folks reporting these types of problems.
Thanks.
Pbody...

2007 Smurf SEUC, Birthdate 9/11/06

Proud to be an American Infidel!

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 02:08:32 PM »

Pbody,
No problems at all, smooth install and I have about 500 miles on the system now.  My two buddies have 07 Street Glides and one of them has over 3000 miles with the system installed and he too has had NO problems.  All the accessorries work just like stock.  I did have to "bend" the Bung on my Rinehart pipe, but that was much easier than I thought it would be.
The posts that you read with problems, do you recall what year bike they were?  I don't remember reading about any 07s having problems.
I got the all-in-one ECM too that has the AutoTune built in and it is simple for installation.  You won't be dissappointed one bit!
TimBone

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 09:16:42 AM »

Ok, this decision has been solidified; I am going with the TM/AT.  I downloaded the Smartlink IV software and manual as advised, perused the manual and played with the software, both very impressive.  Taking that into consideration along with all the praise it receives from fellow forum members, this appears to be a no brainer.

Thanks to all who helped persuade me

Gregg

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »

Pbody,
No problems at all, smooth install and I have about 500 miles on the system now.  My two buddies have 07 Street Glides and one of them has over 3000 miles with the system installed and he too has had NO problems.  All the accessorries work just like stock.  I did have to "bend" the Bung on my Rinehart pipe, but that was much easier than I thought it would be.
The posts that you read with problems, do you recall what year bike they were?  I don't remember reading about any 07s having problems.
I got the all-in-one ECM too that has the AutoTune built in and it is simple for installation.  You won't be dissappointed one bit!
TimBone

Thanks TimBone...  As soon as I get back stateside, I'll pick up the TM/AT.  The last thread I read about problems was with the 07's and the auto compression release.  I know the latest firmware corrected this.  I had also read about the other problems, but don't recall if they were with 06 or 07 models.  Anyway, based on your verification that everything is working fine, and all the other positive comments from members here, I too am sold. 

I don't plan to change AC or Pipes yet--bike only has 9 miles on her (bought it last September).  Based on all the comments from CVO Harley forum members, I think getting the AFR under control is the most important thing.  The TM/AT setup looks like the best way to correct the AFR (with everything else stock), then will adapt to any exhaust/AC changes I make later.
Thanks.
Pbody...

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 10:21:12 AM »

Pbody,
With the new ECM, the ECRs has been fixed and worked into it.  That is what I waited for
to be solved before I pulled the trigger.
You in the service over there in Oki, I know us Marines spend lots of time on that Rock!
Be safe and get back soon!

TimBone

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »

Pbody,
With the new ECM, the ECRs has been fixed and worked into it.  That is what I waited for
to be solved before I pulled the trigger.
You in the service over there in Oki, I know us Marines spend lots of time on that Rock!
Be safe and get back soon!

TimBone

TimBone,
Former Navy, sticking around Okinawa as a civilian--now supporting Marine Intel systems under contract.  I've actually been in Iraq the past 16 months, supporting USMC Intel systems in the Anbar Province.  I'm due to rotate out of here in a couple weeks.  I'll go through the states before heading home to Okinawa.  I'll get to see my bike for the first time (I've owned her since September) as I pass through Virginia.  I'll have to get her boxed up and find someone to ship it to Okinawa for me.  I believe this will be the first, probably the only, SEUC on Okinawa.

Any overseas rotations planned for you--do you plan to rotate back through Okinawa?  We have small offices on all the camps there.  When on Okinawa, I work out of Camp Hansen.  What Unit are you with?
Ride safe...
Pbody...

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 03:06:36 PM »

Pbody,
Thanks for helping us Marines out, I am not due to go to Oki anytime soon, but I may have a good buddy on his way
there for 3 years.  He will find out for sure next week. 
I am with 2MAW now and headed for an instructor job this summer for the next 3 years, so unfortunatley
I will be grounded from any good deployments...DAMN it,  I joined to stink'n travel!!!!
Have Fun and stay safe!

hdblackice2007

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 11:37:27 PM »

just got back from trip from gulfport  to daytona on mine blackice roadking
on the way there was just ok the way back was great had thundermax auto tune and Rinehart's
true dual installed Saturday morning got there really early in am Pete and his installers
made this bike be able to run wfo (wide f$%*ing open) all the way back to gulfport
they made this bike  fast the way it should of been from hd but worth every penny
put 600 miles on bike since daytona running great and even went to new Orleans for a day
and Pete going to send my org. parts back to me i pay shipping don't know why  ever need them
this bike is fast and sounds great 1 of guys i rode with has ultra 110 same motor as mine but
alot slower buy the time my bike was done there was 10 to 15 bikes waiting for installing so go early if you are going to them put it on your bike but anyone can do it at home too
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.16 seconds with 24 queries.