Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Drilling or punching? UPDATE  (Read 3375 times)

Pumba11

Drilling or punching? UPDATE
« on: March 02, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »

Can you drill-out, or punch through the cats on these mufflers #'s 65913-06 and 66080-06 (they came off a 103" CVO Ultra) and have a decent muffler?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:45:36 AM by Pumba11 »

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Drilling or punching?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »

I wouldn't waste your time, there are some real good choices of slip-ons out there and these guys here on the site can steer you in a great direction without spending alot of money..."Did I just say that?"LOL
Kidding aside, there is real good scoop for you here.

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:45:12 PM »

I tried drilling some holes in the baffles on some stock pipes one time and hated the results. They came out very tinny sounding and also kinda made a rattling noise. Threw those baffles out. :-X
WOODY

Bagger

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:29:05 PM »

Seems someone recently spoke of a company that modifies stock mufflers into something that produces great power and sounds decent.  Fulsac maybe? 

Another option is just to run them for awhile.  Mine have gotten to the point hwere they sound pretty good, but I'm still going to swap them out for a set of SE mufflers.

I've been all over the place on this decision.  The decision maker was getting our tax return back.  We got slammed!  So for now, I gotta go with something more economical.

Pumba11

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »

I already have a pair of one-piece SE mufflers that I find a little loud and tinny.  They do offer decent performance however.   Da wife would also like it a little quieter for two-up riding which I do quite a bit of.  These were basically free so I am making them a project since I like how they look. 

I am going to start by trying to eliminate the cats first and leave the baffles alone.  Then see what happens.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »

V&H Ovals.  You will love them.   ;D

Pumba11

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »

I would love the Ovals. 

However budget prohibits that this year.  Still need new tires and battery along with some other maintenance items.  I will try my luck butchering the take-offs.  I can always keep my SE's.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »

I would love the Ovals. 

However budget prohibits that this year.  Still need new tires and battery along with some other maintenance items.  I will try my luck butchering the take-offs.  I can always keep my SE's.

I started to unassemble the 07 factory Catalytic mufflers, but didn't get to far.  I do not think it can be one.  They are not like the regular restrictive mufflers.  You will definetely ruin them.  Look on Ebay for two different guys that sell modified factory slip ons for about $150.  They offer different tages of sound /power.  Then you still have the originals intact.  Also the modified mufflers are factory if big brother gets nosey!
 :pepper: :pineapple:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 01:21:02 AM »

I just bought an extra set to tinker with, took about 10 min, guess what this was, perfectly straight shot from inlet to baffle, core drill seals the remaining cat into a nice smooth 1 3/4 tube.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:25:42 AM by dartman »

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 01:25:52 AM »

A condom for the Tin man :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nervous:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Pumba11

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 09:45:40 AM »

Looks great, exactly what I want to do.

Can you tell me the size bit and how deep it would need to be?

Where did you purchase it?

Any chance of putting it on the bike?  How does it sound/perform?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »

Check this thread for details (New SE Touring Mufflers Do Not Fit '07 SEEG, '07 SERK )

Pumba11

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 11:56:41 AM »

I did find that after my post.  Thanks.

Just a quick question.  Were you able to use this bore drill on a regular drill or drill press chuck, or did you have to use something else?

So, you think the sound is decent? Not tinny.
How about db's?

Thanks,

Pumba11

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 09:44:53 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

UPDATE - PIPE PUNCH METHOD

I was able to core out the cats on my '06 CVO mufflers like Dartman said above.  However I did not use the core bit, but sharpened the end of a 18" long, 1.5" diameter metal pipe on the bench grinder, and pounded it through the cat with a small sledge hammer for a nice clean core (see picture above, just like that).  If you make the pipe punch I would reccomend drilling two holes near the top of the pipe (across from each other) to insert a long bolt or ratchet extension to form a "T" handle to help twist and pull it out.

Core bit cost: about $45 with shipping on eBay
Homemade pipe punch cost: $0.00!!! (however my kids volleyball net post is about 18" shorter)

The cat material appears to be a type of aluminum so it was pretty soft.

Once installed on my TC 88" I am very pleased with their nice deep rumble without the rappy-ness (lol) of my former SE one-piece mufflers.  At least with my ear it is lower in tone than the SE Touring muffler, and just a little bit louder.  Just what I wanted for my two-up riding.  At this point they appear to flow freely, with no seat-of-the-pants performance loss.  And look SUPER nice on my FLHR.

Just thought I would let you guys know if you wanted to keep the stockers and relieve some of the back-pressure.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Drilling or punching? UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »

Pumba,

First is are you seeing any decell backfire from doing this as you have now created a way for the air to come back up to the exhaust chamber, much like one would see with Pig Pipes / or Rush Pipes, because it is non restrictive?

The second question is are you seeing any yellowing now since you punched out the cores? 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.