Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: New Rinehart Tru Dual system install problem  (Read 23307 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: New Rinehart Tru Dual system install problem
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2007, 12:27:28 PM »

I just got a call from Jim Rego at Bub in regard to a call I placed before I sent my email yesterday. When I explained the issue, he said "Oh, you're THAT Chuck Matthews." It sounds as if things are kind of stirred up over on the left coast after my email. Stirred up in a good way.

Jim says he had no knowledge of Dennis' visit to Zippers, and was merely passing along the information as he was instructed to do for these type of "Custom" issues. I told him I was not trying to throw him under the bus by bringing the two different stories together, and he says everything is cool out there.

Right now, everyone is trying to get on the same page so we can get one consistent answer for the question on the sensor locations. Hopefully we'll hear something in the coming weeks.

I still think Bub has our interest in mind, and will do what they can while still keeping an eye on the bottom line.

I am remaining optimistic at this point.

Chief

That's great to hear that it was basically miscommunications.  I hope they do make the changes.  It's looking better. ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2007, 01:22:07 PM »

I was going to call Rinehart about this since my dealer threw a fit yesterday about the clearance of the front sensor but I will hold off until more info is obtained from Chief. I dont like talking to Jim Rego, he really seems like a bonehead IMO and likes to give excuses. It took me over an hour to explain to my dealer the issue with the front sensor and they continually warned me that the bike will "Shut Down" if that sensor fails. I advised them they were wrong about the bike shutting down but they wouldn't listen. When I told them the ECM was not stock they looked at me like someone just raped their sisters and walked away  :nervous: I was trying to avoid telling them but they noticed the different O2 sensors and couldn't understand how I got them to work. Oh well, so much for any warranty claims in the future from this dealer. Chief, keep me updated about this. I would really love to see Rinehart correct this problem otherwise I am going to pull that front pipe and get a new bung welded in.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:48:19 PM by copout221 »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »

I was going to call Rinehart about this since my dealer threw a fit yesterday about the clearance of the front sensor but I will hold off until more info is obtained from Chief. I dont like talking to Jim Rego, he really seems like a bonehead IMO and likes to give excuses. It took me over an hour to explain to my dealer the issue with the front sensor and they continually warned me that the bike will "Shut Down" if that sensor fails. I advised them they were wrong about the bike shutting down but they wouldn't listen. When I told them the ECM was not stock they looked at me like someone just raped thier sisters and walked away  :nervous: I was trying to avoid telling them but they noticed the different O2 sensors and couldn't understand how I got them to work. Oh well, so much for any warranty claims in the future from this dealer. Chief, keep me updated about this. I would really love to see Rinehart correct this problem otherwise I am going to pull that front pipe and get a new bung welded in.

Copout,

Last time I spoke to them, nothing specific was detailed. I have filed a warranty claim and have reoriented the existing bung for the meantime.

I did mine with the pipe off of the bike. The way I did it was to thread in a M18-1.5 x 80MM bolt into the bung. I heated the snot out of it with propane, until it turned a nice golden color of cooked chrome. 3 or 4 whacks with a good sized hammer on the head of the bolt moved it sufficiently to thread the sensor without problem.

I marked the pipe beforehand with a sharpie so I made sure to hit it in the right direction. It really doesn't take a whole lot of movement to gain the clearance needed.

As for contacting Bub, I was going to wait until after the first of the month to give Denis time to get back from his travels and have some time to address the problem. I believe they will address it, when is another story.

Best of luck with the pipes. PM me if you want to talk.

Chief
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:48:26 PM by Chief »

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »

Copout,

Last time I spoke to them, nothing specific was detailed. I have filed a warranty claim and have reoriented the existing bung for the meantime.

I did mine with the pipe off of the bike. The way I did it was to thread in a M18-1.5 x 80MM bolt into the bung. I heated the snot out of it with propane, until it turned a nice golden color of cooked chrome. 3 or 4 whacks with a good sized hammer on the head of the bolt moved it sufficiently to thread the sensor without problem.

I marked the pipe beforehand with a sharpie so I made sure to hit it in the right direction. It really doesn't take a whole lot of movement to gain the clearance needed.

As for contacting Bub, I was going to wait until after the first of the month to give Denis time to get back from his travels and have some time to address the problem. I believe they will address it, when is another story.

Best of luck with the pipes. PM me if you want to talk.

Chief

Thanks Chief,

I bit the bullet and called RH and spoke with Jim. He was much more receptive to my concerns about the front pipe and explained that there was currently nothing in the works for a fix. He basically said that there are not enough customers using their pipes with the more advanced 5 wire O2 sensors along with having an oil cooler. He explained that until there is a large list of complaints about the situation there would most likely NOT be an alteration to the location of the bung on the front head pipe. He recommended sending an E-Mail about my concern to his boss Ken (cannot remember his last name) and maybe he would have an answer. I may or may not follow his advice because I have come to the conclusion that RH is not going to address this issue and it is on the consumer to make the pipe fit in the event they have this type of setup.

After speaking with Jim and reading your post I removed the right side exhaust from my bike and followed your instructions. I did this because the kink I put in the pipe in January was still causing the shielding of the O2 sensor to rub and it was bothering me. After 10 minutes of heating and hitting I put the front pipe back on and amazingly have much more room between the sensor, it's wires, and the oil cooler adaptor. The shielding and sensor are no longer making contact with the adaptor and I am much more satisfied. Overall, as long as the sensor does not fail due to any kind of rubbing or premature wear I will be happy and leave it alone.

One more thing, Jim told me that several customers he has talked to have had nothing but problems with the Zippers Autotune system and was surprised when I told him I loved it. He told me that I was the first person who has had something good to say about Zippers products :huh2: I found this to be very interesting because I have not come across any posts on this or the other cycle forums confirming this. Have you ??

Copout
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:56:55 AM by copout221 »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »

Thanks Chief,

I bit the bullet and called RH and spoke with Jim. He was much more receptive to my concerns about the front pipe and explained that there was currently nothing in the works for a fix. He basically said that there are not enough customers using their pipes with the more advanced 5 wire O2 sensors along with having an oil cooler. He explained that until there is a large list of complaints about the situation there would most likely NOT be an alteration to the location of the bung on the front head pipe. He recommended sending an E-Mail about my concern to his boss Ken (cannot remember his last name) and maybe he would have an answer. I may or may not follow his advice because I have come to the conclusion that RH is not going to address this issue and it is on the consumer to make the pipe fit in the event they have this type of setup.

After speaking with Jim and reading your post I removed the right side exhaust from my bike and followed your instructions. I did this because the kink I put in the pipe in January was still causing the shielding of the O2 sensor to rub and it was bothering me. After 10 minutes of heating and hitting I put the front pipe back on and amazingly have much more room between the sensor, it's wires, and the oil cooler adaptor. The shielding and sensor are no longer making contact with the adaptor and I am much more satisfied. Overall, as long as the sensor does not fail due to any kind of rubbing or premature wear I will be happy and leave it alone.

One more thing, Jim told me that several customers he has talked to have had nothing but problems with the Zippers Autotune system and was surprised when I told him I loved it. He told me that I was the first person who has had something good to say about Zippers products :huh2: I found this to be very interesting because I have not come across any posts on this or the other cycle forums confirming this. Have you ??

Copout

Copout,

Starting to look like a pattern developing. Sad. I guess what they are not seeing are the posts from people saying they are buying V&H because they don't want to deal with the RH fitment issues. Truthfully, I expected them to follow through with what we were told. Denis told me point blank that they were going to switch to an angled bung on the front pipe. I guess it is possible that it will go through as a manufacturing change that tech support doesn't know of? Don't want to tell customers to wait for the new pipes maybe? Who knows.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Chief

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »

Copout,

Starting to look like a pattern developing. Sad. I guess what they are not seeing are the posts from people saying they are buying V&H because they don't want to deal with the RH fitment issues. Truthfully, I expected them to follow through with what we were told. Denis told me point blank that they were going to switch to an angled bung on the front pipe. I guess it is possible that it will go through as a manufacturing change that tech support doesn't know of? Don't want to tell customers to wait for the new pipes maybe? Who knows.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Chief

But I thought the V&H headers had a fitment issue on the rear pipe and the transmission top cover?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #261 on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:09 AM »

But I thought the V&H headers had a fitment issue on the rear pipe and the transmission top cover?

Yes, they also have a bung hole problem.

Chief

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #262 on: April 02, 2007, 08:53:56 AM »

What a great thread, enjoyed reading. Some very informative feed back, and the pictures really helped explain the problems with fitments. I went with V&H and had no problem at all with fit. Also the V&H headers leave you with the option of installing other brands of mufflers. again thanks to all for the great posts. :2vrolijk_21:
WOODY
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Page created in 0.814 seconds with 22 queries.