Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Fullsac Muffler Conversion on SE Street Glide: Help  (Read 11250 times)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: Fullsac Muffler Conversion on SE Street Glide: Help
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »

Not a Street Glide but, I changed my SERG over to a Jet-Hot coated 96" bike header, 1.75" Fullsac baffles that I wrapped with 1.5 yards of High Quality Fiberglas each, and a TTS Mastertune using the Map Steve @ Fullsac emailed me. Difference is amazing, bike is MUCH more responsive, gets 40MPG at 70 riding with 2/up. Just absolutely no complaints. Took 2 hours start to finish including wrapping the baffles and installing the TTS MAP. Biggest challenge was grinding the baffle welds without damaging the outer pipe, but really Best deal ever for the money in my opinion. I strongly suggest getting a cheapo strap wrench at Pep Boys or equal and having it on hand for help removing the muffler end caps without scratching them and freeing up the baffles by twisting them vs beating with hammer.
you'll notice more improvement if you do a V-tune
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 08:15:31 AM »

Hi, I have the 2.25" baffles and have started the replacement process using a Dremel with carbide bit to remove the welds. However, I am noticing that where I have ground the welds, the exterior of the muffler is developing a slight line at the same location where I am grinding on the inside. Anyone having or had the same experience? Am I doing something wrong? Is a Dremel tool the wrong tool to use? Any advice? Thanks
just sent you a PM, I can help you out

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:23:39 AM »

Hi, I have the 2.25" baffles and have started the replacement process using a Dremel with carbide bit to remove the welds. However, I am noticing that where I have ground the welds, the exterior of the muffler is developing a slight line at the same location where I am grinding on the inside. Anyone having or had the same experience? Am I doing something wrong? Is a Dremel tool the wrong tool to use? Any advice? Thanks

I use a spotlight while grinding through the spot welds.  Seeing what your grinding is crucial to staying on top of the weld and not grinding
off to the side of the weld and going through the muffler body. As you grind, a distinct line will develop between the two parts indicating separation.
A tap on the exit end of the core driving it deeper into the muffler will show if separation of the parts has occurred.
When you are able to see clear separation of the parts, a broom handle or something similar through the inlet will gently drive the stock core out.
I hope this helps. Call me anytime for assistance.

Steve George
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 08:52:34 AM »

When you are able to see clear separation of the parts, a broom handle or something similar through the inlet will gently drive the stock core out.
Steve George
Steve, where can I find I tool like this, does it havea H-D part#

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »

H-D part #:
944568-96D
$379.95

Our local dealer has them in chrome only, will not order the black powder coated version.
He is selling them for 20% over MSRP due to limited availability.

HOGMIKE

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »

Thankfully the aftermarket has a dual purpose tool.
After you knock the cores out you can sweep up the mess with the other end and then pass it back to the wife.
If you don't knock it out of alignent, she will still be able to fly to the grocery store without spiraling.
Better function and less cost than the HD unit. Not surprising.

SG
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:41:53 AM by Fullsac Perf »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

Thankfully the aftermarket has a dual purpose tool.
After you knock the cores out you can sweep up the mess with the other end and then pass it back to the wife.
If you don't knock it out of alignent, she will still be able to fly to the grocery store without spiraling.
Better function and less cost than the HD unit. Not surprising.

SG

I read what you said to Susie..........I'm on my way to Urgent Care for stitches, back soon!
MS
HOGMIKE

hondo

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »

Hello,  I have the 2.25" Fulsac baffles installed, and wish they had a little more sound. After reading the above posts I am wondering? what is the reason to wrap the baffles? does this change the sound or add torque? and where do you get this wrap? thanks in advance..........

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »

Hello,  I have the 2.25" Fulsac baffles installed, and wish they had a little more sound. After reading the above posts I am wondering? what is the reason to wrap the baffles? does this change the sound or add torque? and where do you get this wrap? thanks in advance..........

Wrapping the baffles was an attempt to quiet the mufflers down a bit in my quest to be able to hear the stereo at 80mph.
If you want louder, maybe the Fullsac cores are not for you? I find them "pleasant" on the open road, but, others find them a little on the loud side. Depends a lot on the bike you are riding, cams, compression, etc.
You want louder? Maybe try V&H or Thunderheader or Reinhart or some others.

IMHO, the cores I have in 3 bikes all work for ME. I like the looks of the stock mufflers.
Hope this helps a bit.
HOGMIKE

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »

I tried using a Dremel and it was taking forever, I also put a small line in the bottom of my muffler body because I was impatient, and I did not have the proper lighting.  I switched to a air powered die grinder with a cylinder shaped carbide bid with teeth on the front ( I recommend this tool because you can come in straight on the welds and avoid grinding too deep.I got it from Grainger for $40.00 dollars ). Then I cut about an inch or so off the end of the stock baffle tip so I had more room to work got some better lighting and in about 15 minutes I was done. I drilled a small hole in the end of the baffle tips and pulled the baffles  out with a slide hammer. One of the guys on this site had a problem with the intake end of his stock baffle being stuck so hard in the muffler body that when he pounded on it he made three holes in the front of his muffler just past where it connects to the header. So if you have to tap the stock baffle forward to finish grinding your welds be very careful of that. If you want to talk about this some more feel free to PM me. Good Luck CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

hondo

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »

Thanks HogMike for the reply, I am pleased with the way the bike sounds now, and was just curious about the wrap. I am in the process of changing to V&Hines headpipes now, so I am anxious to see what it sounds like without the cats.  I might at that time put in  "Big City Thunder baffles" in the inlet side of the fulsac baffles to gain some torque, I have used these before and it seemed to work well. Thanks Again Craig

2010 spiced rum  SESG .................

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »

Here is how I wrapped my FulSac's in Ceramic blankets withstand up to 2000 degrees...Works great...If you want to know anything about quieting your baffles PM me.  I'll tell you what it will do, it gets the twanggy sound out of em'

When your out of the throttle it'll sound nice and quiet...Freaking amazing.  When you get in the gas...Look out.

Great when you see a cop.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28920.msg470397#msg470397
Unapologetically American!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 08:18:19 AM »

or, just re-use the stock packing, the Fullsacs slide right in. easy cheap

rkpultrase

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »

I sent my stock pipes for an 09 Ultra SE to Fullsac and had 2" cores installed. The service was fast and the quality was great, I could not tell that anyone had touched the pipes. I removed the heat shield's and end caps before I shipped in order to prevent any accidental scratches. The sound is a deep rumble at idle and when you get on it but they do tone down at cruising speeds. I would compare the sound to Reinharts in loudness but without the high screaming pitch when you get on a Reinhart. The sound on the Fullsac's has a constant deep rumble that I never get tired of hearing.

I am still running the stock head pipe with the cat. My next mod will be a HD high flow intake and a remapping which will be required. My last mod will be replacing the head pipe but at this point I am still undecided although the new head pipe that Fullsac is expected to have available later this month is a favorable choice since it will accept stock heat shield's.  My decision to do the mods in three different phases is so I can document any noticeable performance changes and heat reduction each mod contributes. 

In the past I have always installed after market pipes, high flow intake, and remapping but I really do not know what each mod contributes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.