Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Need Help with Air Cleaner (2010 SECU)  (Read 9801 times)

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
Re: Need Help with Air Cleaner (2010 SECU)
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 11:43:25 PM »

It did pull the raised center section out of the filter which was a K&N HD-0818.  I'm working on a foam ring that will fill the gap and support the new 10' SEUC cover.  Thanks for the info!
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 08:00:36 AM »

It did pull the raised center section out of the filter which was a K&N HD-0818.  I'm working on a foam ring that will fill the gap and support the new 10' SEUC cover.  Thanks for the info!

Not sure foam will work, to spongy might not stay tight. I'd measure the gap and make a metal spacer. You can use modeling clay on the back of the cover, then install and tighten until it feels like it's just getting tight, take it back off and measure the thickness. Then make a spacer that thickness, or use washers to make the same thickness.

Craig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »

I also have a question.  If I just change out the stock AC, with a Big Sucker, on my 010 CVO Ultra do I have to  remap the engine or add a turner to keep it from damaging the engine or running to lean?

OK, here's the theory.  On the bikes with closed loop operation (O2 sensors), the sensors provide feedback to the ECM which then adjusts the time the injectors are open to maintain the air-fuel ratio specified in the calibration (map).  While this is going on, the ECM also stores information about how much correction it has to apply to maintain that AFR and applies that information going forward.  The real purpose of this system is to be able to correct for variations or wear in various parts over time.  It can only make corrections up to a fairly limited point, however.  It's not designed to compensate for major changes in air or fuel flow, like what would occur with cam changes, head work, bigger intakes, etc.

If you change out the pipes or air cleaner, and the engine runs OK and doesn't set any codes, that means your changes did not exceed what the system can automatically adjust for.  So your engine won't be any leaner than it was before, and it won't destroy itself.  However, since the stock setup is very lean you won't see much improvement for all the money you just spent on those pipes and air cleaner, and your engine will continue to run hot just like when it was stock.  My suggestion:  don't waste your money opening up the intake or exhaust if you don't plan to spend a few more bucks to tune the bike.  If you want it to run like stock, leave it stock.  If you want it to run smoother, cooler, and all around just better, even with no modifications, get it tuned by a competent tuner.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

frankshd

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5-BLK 2010 452 of 999
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »

good info jerry,  thanks
D&D 2-1 a/c tts master tune corbin seat,
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.