Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 120R Dual Exhaust  (Read 10386 times)

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
120R Dual Exhaust
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »

Trying to get all my ducks in a row and make the odds and end purchases here before I purchase the final 120 crate motor...
I've got a 09 FLHX and have always prefered the look of the dual exhaust system over the 2-1
The Million $ question here is from what I have gathered the 120 needs some room to breath...From the intake being increased in size to the dia. of the exhaust header pipes...
I can appreciate that and grasp most of the reasoning for this...My question is going back to the true duals...Who offers a dual header pipe that will breath with this new motor...
Rhineharts are a stepped header pipe very much sized like the bosszilla header pipe which by the way is one of the exhaust systems suggested to run on the 120R...Now with the Rhineharts headers there factory muffler are from what little bit I know is the only ones that will fit there headers...
The question I ask is there another manufacture out there that offers a true tuned dual header system in the 1 7/8" / 2" dia. and have a better performance muffler then the Rhineharts?
I'm not quite ready to go bosszilla at this time...
thanks
Ride safe

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 120R Dual Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »

looks and power can often be at opposite ends of the tuning cycle

however with a 120 - losing 5 or 10 hp to have good looks may not matter

but if i was putting that many bux to get that big a engine id put one of the good two into ones or a good two into one into two on it.

it could however be really fun to make it look as stock as possible  8)

to

TOMCENTRAL

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:41 PM »

Fullsac X-pipe b has stepped header & is made for the larger motors plus you can choose any type of muffler combo you like....
Regards,Tom

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »

Have heard that if $ is no object, this Wegner system is the one to have:

http://www.wegnerautomotive.com/BikeExhaust/bikeexhaust_touring.htm

:coolblue:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »

http://www.wegnerautomotive.com/BikeExhaust/bikeexhaust_touring.htm

:coolblue:

Maybe on the track Ben.  But that's gawdawful ugly for a street bike.

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »

presently I have the factory pipes and the 3.5 rhineharts mufflers and have always liked the sound of the notes Rhineharts produce...
Would the 4" mufflers be a better fit over the 3.5" for the 120R? If one was to go with them? or would it be so mynute that it would not even be noticed?
Ride safe

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:28:51 PM »

The factory headpipe is not a contender IMHO. Have not seen any favorable results when the wick is turned up regardless of the mufflers.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 12:50:24 AM »

I would look at a fullsac X pipe, the one he is making for the big inch bikes, 2 into 1 into 2.

Fuelmoto x pipe is also good.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 01:32:37 AM »

Phone the guys at Freedom exhaust in California.  They make a big diameter true duals for the new bikes.  You may even be suprised who else they make pipes for ;)

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:53:38 AM »

The r/h t/d. And V&H T/D headpipes for your 09 are diff from the earlier t/d models.
the front pipe runs down and back to the tranny,under the bike and turns and connects to the left side muffler (long run). The rear head pipe runs down and connects to the right muffler. Short run. This makes for a tuning challenge.if you got the tuning covered,if I remember correct you have one of the best Imo in Texas. Then Talk to your tuner and see what he suggest.
These motors respond well to about any performance pipe. Curve moves around a little.
at 10:3 compression they dont absolutely need huge head pipes.

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »

presently I have the factory pipes and the 3.5 rhineharts mufflers and have always liked the sound of the notes Rhineharts produce...
Would the 4" mufflers be a better fit over the 3.5" for the 120R? If one was to go with them? or would it be so mynute that it would not even be noticed?

What is it that YOU want from the bike? That needs to be asked and answered first as there are many pipe combinations that were designed for a specific thing. Most people that ride, run the engine from idle to 4500 RPM and use no more than 50% throttle, 98% of the time they ride. If you fit that category then you should build the bike combination to perform it's best in that area. The numbers on the dyno sheet are only good for bragging rights at the bar. What counts is what the dyno does not show for most people. The Wegner pipes are some of the nicest around and do just what they claim which is to produce the best WOT HP out there. If you were going to be racing the bike I do not think you could pick a better setup, but if your plans are to ride and tour it's not the pipe for that. So it boils down to what are you wanting from your setup and what are you willing to give as your not going to find one pipe/muffler that can do it all.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »

Frank from Drago's bike works is putting two 120Rs in Street Glides and has built and sells a large diameter exhaust system. I'm considering his for my next upgrade. His pipes get rave reviews on the roadglide.org website, maybe something to consider and he is very helpful. 
dragosbikeworks.com

Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »

Maybe on the track Ben.  But that's gawdawful ugly for a street bike.

Don:  I agree!  Guess I'm old school.........never can get away from the Rinehart look/sound!

:2vrolijk_21:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

I would look at a fullsac X pipe, the one he is making for the big inch bikes, 2 into 1 into 2.

Fuelmoto x pipe is also good.
My Fuelmoto is 1 5/8" id, same as the OEM. I was hoping I could use it on my 120 but from what I read it's too small, however I haven't found anyone that actually tried one on a 120.

I'm probably going to get a Fullsac, it gives me the option of changing the mufflers if I want to.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »

My Fuelmoto is 1 5/8" id, same as the OEM. I was hoping I could use it on my 120 but from what I read it's too small, however I haven't found anyone that actually tried one on a 120.

I'm probably going to get a Fullsac, it gives me the option of changing the mufflers if I want to.

Before you just call up and order one, I'd suggest you talk to Steve about your plans.
Just sayin

8)
HOGMIKE

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »

Before you just call up and order one, I'd suggest you talk to Steve about your plans.
Just sayin

8)
I just sent him an email a couple hours ago.

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »

Steve you bring up an interesting thought...I guess I have always put the two together...
What is it that YOU want from the bike? That needs to be asked and answered first as there are many pipe combinations that were designed for a specific thing. Most people that ride, run the engine from idle to 4500 RPM and use no more than 50% throttle, 98% of the time they ride. If you fit that category then you should build the bike combination to perform it's best in that area.
This sounds like the catagory I would fit in with an occassional good old wromp winding out the rpm's to there extreme...
With this said I am planning on the compression to be finished at 10.5 rather then the 10.3...
Don
This does not apply just on my stock 09
The factory headpipe is not a contender IMHO.
Tom
Fullsac X-pipe b has stepped header & is made for the larger motors plus you can choose any type of muffler combo you like....
The Fullsac I saw seemed interesting with the one exception I got curious about...The header seems to be a stepped header...This is good from what I understand is needed to help the 120 breath and other big CI motors breath, so the concern is if the header starts out at 1 3/4" and then steps to 1 7/8 and then makes the "X" and goes back to a 1 3/4" for the all manufactures mufflers to work would it not be chocking down the exhaust?
If this one worked it would help keep the appearance of a sleeper...At first quick glance anyway
WVUltra
Not for me...I'm to old fashion I guess to run something like that one on my bike...
paul
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:32:55 PM by TexasBowhunter »
Ride safe

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »

You are right there and they will tune the bike
Have you considered a proven performer the Boarzilla with a ghost
And the BS about using a smaller pipe for the lower rpm crowd.. Not buying it. A well designed pipe scavenges evenly and operates efficiently over a wide range with matching parts. The Wengler is case and point but price is very spendy. The Boarzilla would run right there and fit and finish is awesome.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »

I have the Boarzilla on my 131 with the quiet baffle. Sounds good and performs well. Without the quiet baffle it is very loud and sounds awesome but it will wear on you after awhile just ask Hogasm(Brian).

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »

I have a 131" with borzilla wrapped baffle, not quiet or subdued . Many say down right obnoxious if behind when spirit throttled.  :ons_4:   :pumpkin:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 11:33:54 AM »

Crusher mufflers with t dual head pipes . I have not tested that on a 120 but I have run them on 124 inch engines and that muffler can handle 135 hp with out a issue. Sound wise they are way less than a zilla pipe. We have 3 120R's going together right now. One is getting the zilla, the other the B1Mega Bassani n( not using MVA heads on that one though) , and the last one is using V&H X head pipe with crusher mufflers. 

I have been very impressed with how well that muffler works with the t duals.  Many times with the t duals on the larger engines they will make great twq but fall out very soon vs rpm range. Not these mufflers.  Something to think about.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

firefighter156

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »

Crusher mufflers with t dual head pipes . I have not tested that on a 120 but I have run them on 124 inch engines and that muffler can handle 135 hp with out a issue. Sound wise they are way less than a zilla pipe. We have 3 120R's going together right now. One is getting the zilla, the other the B1Mega Bassani n( not using MVA heads on that one though) , and the last one is using V&H X head pipe with crusher mufflers. 

I have been very impressed with how well that muffler works with the t duals.  Many times with the t duals on the larger engines they will make great twq but fall out very soon vs rpm range. Not these mufflers.  Something to think about.

Do you have any Dyno results and specs you can share with the 120R's you have been working on??
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

2014 CVO Limited

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »

Regards,Tom

The fullsac x-pipe steps up, but then it steps right back down to 1 3/4" to fit the stock mufflers and crossover pipe. Doesn't that defeat the whole initial stepped up purpose?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:22:42 PM by rheiner »

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »

Well, there are two of the "stepped-down" outlets.  What's the combined area?  Still pretty fair, right?

FLTR2008TRIKE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »

Do you have any Dyno results and specs you can share with the 120R's you have been working on??

Here is a 131 with true dual fishtails >>

http://www.gmrperformance.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=27&tmpl=component&format=raw&Itemid=60

A 124" with Kuryakyn power cell ( V&H X Pipe ) with Crusher Mellow Mufflers >>

http://www.gmrperformance.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=65&tmpl=component&format=raw&Itemid=60

I am in the process of building a 124" for my trike. I plan on using the older true dual pipes and V&H Monster Ovals I had on my 117" to start but will most likely switch the mufflers to the Crusher Mellow Mufflers because I want to quiet the exhaust note down some

S&S 124" Head porting and custom designed cams by John @ http://www.jwperf.com/. 10.5 static / 9.41 corrected. Modified V&H Powerdual headpipe with CVO 4" cans and Fullsac 2.25 baffles

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »

According to an advertisement I just read on page 19 of Feb 2013 Cycle World Vance and Hines makes a stainless highoutput system with 2 inch muffler inlets. That sounds like it would keep the exhaust flowing, unless you need a little backpressure at that point to retain more bottom end. Maybe someone with more smarts than me would elaborate on this. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

firefighter156

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »

Here is a 131 with true dual fishtails >>

http://www.gmrperformance.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=27&tmpl=component&format=raw&Itemid=60

A 124" with Kuryakyn power cell ( V&H X Pipe ) with Crusher Mellow Mufflers >>

http://www.gmrperformance.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=65&tmpl=component&format=raw&Itemid=60

I am in the process of building a 124" for my trike. I plan on using the older true dual pipes and V&H Monster Ovals I had on my 117" to start but will most likely switch the mufflers to the Crusher Mellow Mufflers because I want to quiet the exhaust note down some

Both look like fun.  Thank you.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

2014 CVO Limited
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 21 queries.