Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Air Filter Sock  (Read 8610 times)

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Re: Air Filter Sock
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »

I race a sprint car that is fuel injected and has washable style air filters. We also have pre filters made of same material as the rain sock. They do an excellent job of keeping the very fine particles of dirt out of the filter without air volume restriction. As a rain sock it is just a barrier between the water and the gauze like material of the filter. I run mine under my chrome cover as a prefilter and it's ready In case of rain. It does way more good than bad .

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »

I race a sprint car that is fuel injected and has washable style air filters. We also have pre filters made of same material as the rain sock. They do an excellent job of keeping the very fine particles of dirt out of the filter without air volume restriction. As a rain sock it is just a barrier between the water and the gauze like material of the filter. I run mine under my chrome cover as a prefilter and it's ready In case of rain. It does way more good than bad .
I keep meaning to go ahead and do this. Would also be nice when washing the bike. I have a tendency to forget to put it on before washing.  ::)
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »

I bought a 3 pack of gramma's shower caps and just snap it over at the car wash. Works great

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »

I modified my rain sock by cutting a hole in it (where the mounting bolt goes through), then installed a grommet there to prevent a "blowout" of the sock.  Put the rain sock on under the cover and leave it; don't have to worry about sudden downpours or forgetting it at home.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »

Thanks all.  I'll be installing the sock tomorrow, under the cover, before I head to Florida! 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »

This rain sock stuff makes me chuckle. I guess I'm old school.  My chrome air air cleaner works just fine and I don't need no stinkin sock : ). I can't imagine buying Harley's most expensive touring machine and having to pull over in a rain storm to put a sock on.  Just don' t cut it..
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 08:21:55 PM »

One would think you shouldn't have to pull off the road when it rains to put on a sock.  However, looking at the devise, about 70 % of the filter element is exposed to the elements.  I can envision excessive rain soaking the filter and the 110 vacuum machine sucking that water into the system.  I just think it's a poor design.  Harley has a warning, requiring protection from rain, even when parked.   

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »

Given enough rain the sock will soak through and the motor will bog.  The sock seems to help a bit, but in a really heavy rain you're still going to be fighting to keep the bike running.
The best you've had is the best you know.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

Harley is pretty famous for going with style over function, so borrowing a bad idea from the bike show circuit and the aftermarket doesn't surprise me at all.  I'm still waiting for someone to start a thread about hydraulic locking his engine and then having Harley refuse to repair the damage because he parked his Harley outside where it rained and eventually filled his cylinders with water.  Everyone knows Harley's are for show, you're not supposed to expose them to the nasty elements.

I wonder why the automakers haven't decided to sell cars with no hoods or air cleaner covers.  :nixweiss:  Maybe because they have a whole lot more brains than the Harley folks would be my guess.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 12:40:34 PM »

Have ridden in the rain no sock.  No issues.  Actually I forgot I have the thing or where it's stored!  WTF, do you really need it?

Do it now!

Bike30

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »

I can understand covering the filter when washing or parked in the rain to reduce flow into the intake. If air filters needed covers when driving, then every small piston airplane would be grounded on rainy days. I've flown with foam, flocked, paper, and K&N filters and never had a stoppage or problem from the precip. Carburetor ice can be an issue to be monitored if the air temp is right.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »

I'll bet it's there so you look cool! :D
Do it now!

mark

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »

As has been previously posted, I too have had my engine bog down in the rain even with the rain sock on. 

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »

Been in some pretty heavy rains with no "bogging"
Do it now!

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »

Possibly the mixed comments are on account of different air intake set-ups, maybe some are better than others when it comes to dealing with rain/wash. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.