Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Heated handgrips on a Vrod?  (Read 6890 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
Heated handgrips on a Vrod?
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:33:54 PM »

Has anyone on here put heated grips on a Vrod?  Or ever heard anyone who has put heated grips on a Vrod?  

I had to cut my ride short after a few hours because my hands were freezing...even with lined gloves!  They get so cold that they hurt and it's hard to concentrate.  All I want to do it get home quick!!!  I honestly don't mind riding in the cold so long as my hands are NOT NUMB!  The rest of my body never gets so cold that it bothers me, but when my hands get cold, I almost can't function!!!  

The only advantage to it is I'm learning to ride with one hand (while the other hand is near the pipes or engine warming up) and take curves at 90 so I could hurry up and get home!!!!
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Heated handgrips on a Vrod?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »

Why not just get some heated gloves? Remember before long you are going to have several bikes to ride, may as well have them all setup at once for heated gear. ;)

Dawg, how am I doing Bro? ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »

Why not just get some heated gloves? Remember before long you are going to have several bikes to ride, may as well have them all setup at once for heated gear. ;)

Dawg, how am I doing Bro? ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

You're too much, d00d!!  

That may be true BUT the Vrod will always be my main ride (until I start racing it)!!  Doesn't heated clothing and gloves require wiring to the battery?  I haven't read up on those in awhile...  I guess I'll have to check them out online to see how expensive they are!  Since you brought it up, what brand do you recommend?  Do they have battery-operated gloves?

I know it won't matter in a few months, but for those of us that use our motorcycles as therapy, it could be hazardous for me to wait until warm weather to go on long rides!  It was near impossible to convince myself that I needed to wait until after 10AM to leave so it would warm up a bit (because it was 29* at 8:00 AM)!!!  When I came home it was 40* according to wunderground online.  That was probably accurate except around the rivers and in the valleys.  Regardless, I was comfortable in just jeans, chaps, boots with regular cotton socks, a tshirt, sweatshirt and leather jacket until around 5PM when the sun started going down.  I guess if I had worn thermals it might have helped but I doubt it.  My hands always stay cold!

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:09:13 PM »

Has anyone on here put heated grips on a Vrod?  Or ever heard anyone who has put heated grips on a Vrod?  

I had to cut my ride short after a few hours because my hands were freezing...even with lined gloves!  They get so cold that they hurt and it's hard to concentrate.  All I want to do it get home quick!!!  I honestly don't mind riding in the cold so long as my hands are NOT NUMB!  The rest of my body never gets so cold that it bothers me, but when my hands get cold, I almost can't function!!!  

The only advantage to it is I'm learning to ride with one hand (while the other hand is near the pipes or engine warming up) and take curves at 90 so I could hurry up and get home!!!!

Hey V, I asked the same thing for my SERK awhile back. With all the problems with the heated grips, everyone pretty much steered me toward heated gloves instead. I bought the Gerbing G-3's. I'll be trying the tomorrow for the first time. I'll let you know what I think. Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »

Thanks, Hoist!  You'll have to give me the full report tomorrow!  If I wasn't so tired I'd look them up tonight BUT being overzealous, I forgot to put on my windshield today, and the windburn and sunburn wiped me out!  

I'll wait to read your full report...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:35:24 PM »

Thanks, Hoist!  You'll have to give me the full report tomorrow!  If I wasn't so tired I'd look them up tonight BUT being overzealous, I forgot to put on my windshield today, and the windburn and sunburn wiped me out!  

I'll wait to read your full report...

Sure V, I'll let you know what I think. I hope I like them. It's supposed to be cold tomorrow! ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 01:09:02 AM »

V,
I can't recommend any brand of heated gear over the other because I don't own any. I know there has been plenty of discussion here on heated gear you just have to do a search. Also heated gear does require wiring to an electrical source, but to get the extra wiring harness for all the different bikes would be a lot easier then getting heated grips for all the bikes. Plus as Howie mentioned there has been numerous accounts of failures w/heated grips.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »

I have a very good friend that sells heated clothing. All you had to do was ask!

I know you keep saying the V Rod will be your main ride. Just wait till I finish your EAGLE!!!!! Once I get you on it and riding it you will love it. The only thing that "V" will do is sit in a heated and A/Ced garage and look pretty for all of our friends!!!!!

Heated clothing is so easy to hook up. Everything ties into your battery tender connection. All I have to do is relocate where it comes out of the bike!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 03:48:39 PM »

I have a very good friend that sells heated clothing. All you had to do was ask!

I know you keep saying the V Rod will be your main ride. Just wait till I finish your EAGLE!!!!! Once I get you on it and riding it you will love it. The only thing that "V" will do is sit in a heated and A/Ced garage and look pretty for all of our friends!!!!!

Heated clothing is so easy to hook up. Everything ties into your battery tender connection. All I have to do is relocate where it comes out of the bike!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

"V"

Let me help you here!
Dawg is the "Man"  (follow me here, will try not to make this to hard)
Since Dawg is the "Man", like in "your man" then talk to your man first.
Are you following?
He has the answers, just ask and listen and pay very close attention when he talks.
That's why he's your "Man". He's here for you!
Now have you got that???

I like these little talks we have. They help you to be a better Mrs. Dawg.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 03:51:03 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »

I can't help you V, not today anyway. I was so ready to jump on the new bike, I didn't want to take the time to mess with the wiring! Wires in the gloves, connector on the battery terminals, T'stat. Where do you put all these wires anyway? I'm rethinking this whole heated glove thing. My first shot at using them was not very positive. It's a PIA and you look pretty silly with wires hanging all over you. Maybe I need a lesson in heated clothing before abandoning the idea. Right now all I can say is, I'm not very impressed with the whole mess! Anyone want to buy brand new Gerbing G-3's with all the acc'ys? Or care to teach me how to live with them? :o Hoist! 8-)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:39:15 PM »

I can't help you V, not today anyway. I was so ready to jump on the new bike, I didn't want to take the time to mess with the wiring! Wires in the gloves, connector on the battery terminals, T'stat. Where do you put all these wires anyway? I'm rethinking this whole heated glove thing. My first shot at using them was not very positive. It's a PIA and you look pretty silly with wires hanging all over you. Maybe I need a lesson in heated clothing before abandoning the idea. Right now all I can say is, I'm not very impressed with the whole mess! [highlight]Anyone want to buy brand new Gerbing G-3's with all the acc'ys? [/highlight]Or care to teach me how to live with them? :o Hoist! 8-)

What are the sizes. I might be interested in taking them off your hands.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 09:47:12 PM »

What are the sizes. I might be interested in taking them off your hands.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Hey Mike, I was half sarcastically expressing my frustration with these gloves. When I have some time, I'l try playing with them and see if I like and want to deal with them. They were a Xmas present from my wife, so I'll try to make them work. If not I'll sell them. They are a Medium. Later ;) Hoist! 8-)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »

Hey Mike, I was half sarcastically expressing my frustration with these gloves. When I have some time, I'l try playing with them and see if I like and want to deal with them. They were a Xmas present from my wife, so I'll try to make them work. If not I'll sell them. They are a Medium. Later ;) Hoist! 8-)
Christmas present from wifey. I'm thinking it would be best for you to make these work. [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 11:09:44 PM »

Christmas present from wifey. I'm thinking it would be best for you to make these work. [smiley=nervous.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Me too d00d. I'll only sell them after she sees I've tried, and they're still not for me. She'll understand, as long as I give it a fair trial period. I didn't really try very hard today. ;) Hoist! 8-)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:13:25 AM »

V...don't know what kind of helmet you're wearing this time of year, but you lose 70% of your body heat through your neck and head, so if that's not covered well, your body starts sucking blood/warmth away from your hands first, then your feet.  A full face, a fleece zip up (windblocker is best...H-D makes one) that zips up on your neck sort of like a turtle neck, then a leather jacket with the collar turned up, reallly helps a LOT. Suz got a windblocker zip up at Eddie Bauer for 40 bucks on sale.  Not saying you won't need some heat in the hands, but really take care of your head/neck first...it works!

I see no reason you could not put heated grips on the V-rod...fishing the wires through the bars, then finding a place to hook the wires would be the only problem, but that's what Dawg's for!!! ;D ;) The wires are not thick, so it should be possible to do, just a bit aggravating.

For the heated gloves, it would be pretty easy to run the battery tender type connector backwards next to the airbox and come out about where the tank and seat meet...somewhere in that area would be convenient.  If you get the gloves, just get the little pouch for the controller so you don't have wires hanging all over the place.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 24 queries.