Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time  (Read 65345 times)

ultrarider123

Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »

WOW. Cant believe i've never noticed this thread before. One question tho. You say that the ecm is designed for modest modifications without any changes to the programing, I have already gotten a stock, decatted head pipe i was gonna throw on, but will both of these mods lean it out far too much? Thx.

If just changing the muffler, should not need to adjust anything.  With the change/modification of the muffler AND adding the free flowing header pipe, yep you will need some kind of reprogramming on the ECM.  Many options out there with either the HD/SE or any of the other options that are discussed (in detail) on the site.  TTS seems to be a used quite a bit.  I did not change out my stock header (although FulSac offers exactly what I would put on IF I did go that route).  I was looking for the least amount of output (money wise) with the greatest effect.  This fit the bill and I (and quite a few others) are satisfied to stop here.  Hope this helps.

HJP

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2012, 10:26:43 AM »

Do you think that a hole saw with a extension would work to remove the plug on the 2013's cans. You can get the hole saws in different diameters and some are for metal applications

ultrarider123

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

HJP, it would work but you would be cutting the crimpted end of the plug out, not the entire plug.  However, if you give that a try, please post the pics and description as it would be an alternative whether my plan will work for the '13s or not... :2vrolijk_21:

DOWNTOWN DON

• Full CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: 2012 flhxse3 Black diamond, Dark slate. (WRECKED)
    • CVO2: 2015 flhxse4 Starfire Black/Gold Dust Flames.
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »

With the change/modification of the muffler AND adding the free flowing header pipe, yep you will need some kind of reprogramming on the ECM. 

Thx for the input, that's what i figured.
I have been reading up on fullsacs stage 1 & 2 for some time now, so i think i will do the stage 1 now & add the cams later.
Just have to find the cheapest way to get the kit over the border as UPS screws us in brokerage fees.
CVO1:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2" power cores & tts mastertune, mustang super solo vintage/13" rear pillion, 7" lrs ultra elite dark tint windshield, truk lite ph7 headlight & custom dynamics signals,  color matched king tour pak.
CVO2:  Fullsac "DX" pipe/2 1/4" power cores, screens, & tts mastertune, 7" lrs ultra elite/dark tint/screemin eagle scripture, fairing vents, fork baffle, matching pass boards & backrest, and a LOT more to come.

Thx and come again: "DOWNTOWN DON"

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »

Just finished on a set of the 2013 mufflers.  Took the end caps off and left the heat shields on.  I didn't want to cut anything but the plug.  I wanted to leave the pipe coming from the baffle intact.

I used a Dremel Flexible Shaft (part #225-01) and a Dremel 4000.  I used the keyless 1 1/2" metal cut off wheels.  The first one took about 30 min.  The second took about 20 min.  I used 2 wheels and part of the third.  I won't know how they sound until I get the bike back from storage.  Hopefully, they will sound good.  This was a great idea.  Thanks for the post.

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »

I forgot to mention, the whole project cost about $50.  $15 for the wheels with the keyless arbor and $33 for the flex attachment.  Thanks again...

ultrarider123

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 11:01:52 PM »

Glad it worked for you and thanks for the detailed description of your work. Ain't it fun to do something for so little money and not a whole lot of effort that makes such a difference in the sound?   :2vrolijk_21:

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »

With the change/modification of the muffler AND adding the free flowing header pipe, yep you will need some kind of reprogramming on the ECM. 

Thx for the input, that's what i figured.
I have been reading up on fullsacs stage 1 & 2 for some time now, so i think i will do the stage 1 now & add the cams later.
Just have to find the cheapest way to get the kit over the border as UPS screws us in brokerage fees.
I ship to Canada often USPS International Priority does not charge brokerage fee.

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

It is.  I was hanging on the fence regarding the fullsac baffles but when I came across this post I figured that it was worth a try.  Now I just wish that I had the bike so I could try them out.  They're going on an '05 FLHTCSE2.  I've got 4" V&H turn downs on her now, but the V&H heat shields are so tight on the headers that it has been rubbing the neck of the muffler on the right side.  That's beginning to show signs of rust so I thought I'd change them out.  I'm wondering about installing the CVO mufflers without their heat shields.  I have dropped bags on the bike and I'm worried about the clearance.  The V&H fit fine, but I'm not so sure about the heat shields on the new mufflers.

Blue Shark

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »

'HAIRD' - I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
BLUE SHARK

ultrarider123

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »

'HAIRD' - I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
BLUE SHARK

No problem....just responded to it.  If you take your time with the first muffler, it will pay off on the second one and really makes for a great change in the sound of your SE.  Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions.
Howard  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:28:50 PM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »

Had a question from a forum member on how deep to expect to cut the plug.  As I have quite a few pictures on the subject, I didn't have anything that showed an actual measure....until now.  Took a measurement from the end of the inner tube to the cut removing the plug.  Looks to be right at a 3 inch depth.  Hope this and the picture helps to answer some questions on this.  Actually took two pics.  One with the flashlight and one with the iPhone flash.  I'll post both just in case.

First is with the flashlight.

ultrarider123

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2013, 07:39:46 AM »

...and last with iPhone flash.  Again, hope this helps to answer any questions.

Blue Shark

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »

THANKS HAIRD!

That was my question, and I really appreciate the response and the photos that accompanied it.
For me anyway, it greatly clarified how to do it and removed the trepidation I was having to try and do so.

Will keep you informed . . . . .

ultrarider123

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »

Keith, that dremel model was model 3000. Purchased it from the H Depot January last year. Hope that helps
Howard
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.