Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time  (Read 65283 times)

Blue Shark

Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »

OK Howard,

Thanks alot - headed to Home Depot then...

Kieth

SOTLucky

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110 Anniv Edition
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »

I plan on doing my 2013 CVO Ultra when I get back from big bend next week.  I will let you know how it goes and how it sounds. Thanks for the how to

SOTLucky

ultrarider123

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »

There have been a few comments on what may or may not be needed with this mod and if a tuner was required.  As it's been noted, there isn't a need for any tuner or additional ECM modification with this plug removal.  However, if you do other things (as in remove the catalyst material/change out the header, motor work or such), there is a need.  I will suggest this.  The factory sends these bikes out (CVO and non-CVO) very lean from the factory to meet EPA exhaust and sound levels.  While removing the plug does not call for a need in any additional mods (which is why it's a good mod.....cheap and good results), it may be something you want to address just so the motor will run much better.
I say all that to note recently skunk ryder decided he wanted a bit more sound than the plug removal.  We researched and he decided to go with a stock pipe with the catalyst removed.  It REALLY opened it up sound wise but this required a tuner as it's a major mod.  Staying with HD, he went with the SE race tuner.  Yesterday, K'ville HD installed, tuned and dyno'ed the bike with results of 95 HP and 114 lb/ft of torque.  The stock run prior to the SERT installation but with the catless header was 87 and 101 respectively.  So, cost of the grinding wheels to remove the plug was $15.  Cost of the header with cat removed, $150 and that included giving back the header that we removed from the skunk.  Tuner and tune was $500.  So, for $665 dollars, he got 8 more HP and 13 lb/ft of torque with a much more usable (flat) torque curve and it runs great.  I would say that's a good return on a small investment.  Am I going to do it?  Probably not at this time but now I know the option for better HP, TQ along with not much additional investment is there if I do.  Just thought I would share.....

UPDATE April 11:  just read my post again.  Don't know what I was thinking when I typed but the original post of 81 HP stock was wrong.  That number was actually 87 HP stock.  I've fixed the post above to reflect that....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:16:47 AM by Haird »

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »

Hiard, as we have spoken in the past,this is good stuff. when I purchased my cvo it had already had the sert, & the cat removed. I don't however know what the dyno was (if they even did one). I would be curious as to the numbers. Keep up the great posts. love hearing all the responses to something so simple & easy, & cost effective.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

moomann1

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2013, 07:19:13 PM »

Hello all, just a newbie rubbing two cents together:
Did this mod on a 02 FLHTP, though I drilled it out with a 1" bit, took some time to fish out the pressed crimped section. She sounded like I cleared her throat; she could sing a little deeper, no whistle, though I could pick up what sounded like a metallic ping or clink every fire of the cylinders.
Now as of yesterday there is two 2013 FLHTP’s in the garage and I’m ready to remove those plugs and Dremel is the way to go, without a doubt! THANKS Haird!
 I am fascinated, though, that two cylinders belching hot gas through 24 3/8” holes that are twelve each muffler is nothing but unhealthy for a V-Twin. I read up on sonic pulse, thermal pulse and exhaust gas velocity as well as the ECM mapping; TMI!!! And my current view is this stock setup can barley allow 300fpm for which I read is optimal velocity. I’m sure it does but it is hard to wrap the head around.
Though I can understand that going beyond removing more than the plug and cheap fuel may interfere with exhaust tuning and run the CAT cooler and it will load up and not burn off and heat up and then cause damage I have no experience to guess at may happen.
But, with no other tinkering and some premium octane GO GO juice, would keep the CAT cleaner and just the right amount of vocals from the twin sisters,,, LOL. This mod focus works for me because I have no interest in big HP for drag racing some rice burning crotch rocket on my Electra Glide. Just the HP one needs for evasive riding and sweet HD vocals.
With that said, any corrections or additions with the possible warranty voidance from doing this mod would be helpful.
I will post pics of the soon to be removed restrictions to clear HD vocals.

moomann1

« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »

Pic two:

ultrarider123

« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »

Cool moom!  Thanks for sharing the pics and description on the post... :2vrolijk_21:

ATOMIC GLIDE

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »

Any updates on getting the plugs out of a set of 2013 pipes?
Just got my FLTRXSE and want just a little more rumble!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »

Any updates on getting the plugs out of a set of 2013 pipes?
Just got my FLTRXSE and want just a little more rumble!!

Nope.  I am still working on getting one for experimental purposes but most everyone wants to sell me one instead of a "donation for science"... :2vrolijk_21:  Can't blame them though.  These things are expensive.

My plan was to grind the extention off back down the length that came on the 2012's and older SE mufflers.  At that point, I would remove the plug as posted at the start of this thread.  From what I can tell visually and from service bulletins, the extention of the muffler tube is the only difference in the 2013 SE touring pipes so removing the plug is a bit harder but not impossible.  Again, if I do end up finding/purchasing one of these, I'll post pictures of the mod.  Otherwise, feel free to do your own mod to add to this post.... ;D  Quite a few others have and added a lot of information over and above my original description.

ATOMIC GLIDE

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »

I noticed that extension pipe. I have a friend who has the flex extension for the dremel. He says its not the easiest thing to use. So I might start there and see how that goes.. Will post the results. I'm going to take my time and try to think of maybe some other options..

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »

Hi there

I came across this thread while researching Fullsac cores and I could be wrong but are the mufflers that are shipped with the 2012 FLHXSE3 to Australia different to those fitted in the US?

I ask this because I thought your mod was a fantastic idea but on closer inspection there appears to be no plug in my mufflers. There is a tube extension that protrudes from the stock baffle to about half the end cap but shining a torch down the "guts" of the muffler there appears to be a shelf of some type on the upper part of the core in about 6" from where the end cap meets the muffler but no plug I can see.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Cheers

ultrarider123

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »

Interesting Conmore.  May be that the mufflers shipped overseas are different and from your description, it does sound like the innerds are.  A picture would really help in this if you get a chance... ;D

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »

Interesting Conmore.  May be that the mufflers shipped overseas are different and from your description, it does sound like the innerds are.  A picture would really help in this if you get a chance... ;D

Hi there

No problem. I've got a muffler off with the end cap removed and there's definitely no plug I can see, but I'll take a shot and post back tomorrow.

Cheers

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »

Hi there

No problem. I've got a muffler off with the end cap removed and there's definitely no plug I can see, but I'll take a shot and post back tomorrow.

Cheers

Hi there

Best I could do, with a bit of back lighting, but no plug as far as I can see.

Cheers

ultrarider123

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »

Hi there

Best I could do, with a bit of back lighting, but no plug as far as I can see.

Cheers

Yep, much different.  Actually, it looks like the mufflers that used to have the catalyst in them before the MoCo moved it to the header pipe...mainly on non-CVO models up to '09.  '10 and newer non cvo's had the cat in the header like the CVO's.  Not saying this is the case with your mufflers, your picture just reminds me of what they looked like.  If you do decide to modify these, let us know.  Also, as a suggestion, give Steve with Fulsac a PM and see if he has a solution for maybe removing the entire baffle and replacing with their system.  May be an option.... :nixweiss:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 25 queries.