Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time  (Read 65296 times)

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
Re: OK, here's an easy way to modify and keep stock all at the same time
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »

Yep, much different.  Actually, it looks like the mufflers that used to have the catalyst in them before the MoCo moved it to the header pipe...mainly on non-CVO models up to '09.  '10 and newer non cvo's had the cat in the header like the CVO's.  Not saying this is the case with your mufflers, your picture just reminds me of what they looked like.  If you do decide to modify these, let us know.  Also, as a suggestion, give Steve with Fulsac a PM and see if he has a solution for maybe removing the entire baffle and replacing with their system.  May be an option.... :nixweiss:

Hi there

Yes, I've been in touch with Steve @ Fullsac and he's given me great advice and been very helpful. Because of the tyranny of distance, Arizona being half way round the world from Victoria in Australia I've opted to get a set of 1.75" and a set of 2.0" cores and that way I have both options rather than oh sh*t I should have got the ??

A little care and a die grinder with an extension (the baffle tube extends to about 3/4 of the end cap on my muffler so I need something longer to get past that length) so then I can grind the two welds holding the original baffle in place and I should be good to go.

Cheers :)

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »

I just modified my stock CVO exhaust as described.  Only thing I did different was once I set the distance of the mandrel on the Dremel, I laid a towel down on the table and holding the Dremel still I rolled the muffler on the towel left and right.  I literally had baffle cut off in less than 2 minutes per side and barely used up the cut-off wheel.  Thanks for all the idea.

Here is a picture showing the clean cut.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »

In this photo you can see the "red" arrow indicating the distance that I cut mine in order to clear the weld joint.  You can also see the beginning of the cut.
Ray
Starfire Black

ultrarider123

« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »

Another satisfied customer... :2vrolijk_21:

The pictures and different ideas on how to remove the baffles are greatly appreciated.  How did it sound to you after the plug removal?

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »

I didn't start up the bike last night as I had the battery pulled "installing another charging pigtail".  I will try to get a soundbite from my non-CVO 2012 Street Glide and post.  Getting ready for "Rolling Thunder" this weekend.

HAIRD, thanks for this cheap modification idea.
Ray
Starfire Black

ultrarider123

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »

Not a problem and glad to help.  Hope you like the sound.  Enjoy the ride to Rolling Thunder and be careful out there.

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »

Rode my 2012 Street-glide to work this morning and WOW on the way the exhaust sounds at idle and under load.  My wife riding her own bike thought I bought a new exhaust.  At idle there is more of a low rumble until you start to accelerate. During cruising, you can barley tell of the decibel increase, but when you accelerate you can hear the exhaust being louder but a comfortable loudness.  Still need to capture a sound file and post.
Ray
Starfire Black

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

So as of this time, is there still no way to do the muffler mod on a 2013?
I have a new CVO Ultra (Typhoon Maroon) and need more noise to make me happy, but spend all my money on the bike, so can't do pipes for quite awhile...

This seemingly simple mod would help for awhile anyways...

Can it be done to my 2013?

ATOMIC GLIDE

« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:01 AM »

I drilled mine out using 1 1/4 hole saw with a 10 inch extention that i got at Lowes.(total about $22 bucks) At idle it has a little more rumble than before. Havent had the chance to listen on the road yet (weather not cooperating)
The only other way i see it to get the core or plug out would be to cut the extention HD included on the 2013 models.         I didnt want to do that right yet.

ultrarider123

« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »

I drilled mine out using 1 1/4 hole saw with a 10 inch extention that i got at Lowes.(total about $22 bucks) At idle it has a little more rumble than before. Havent had the chance to listen on the road yet (weather not cooperating)
The only other way i see it to get the core or plug out would be to cut the extention HD included on the 2013 models.         I didnt want to do that right yet.

Mighty, what Atomic said is correct.  You can remove the plug using the hole saw OR you can remove the extented portion that's unique to the 2013 SE touring mufflers back to the old length and then remove the plug using the dremel method.  Either way, getting the plug out gets the results of removing the restrictive plug.  I'm still working on my parts guy to get a 2013 muffler but, as you can tell, I'm having a bit of a problem getting one to experiment on.  If you do go the extention removal route, please post some information and pictures to help the others in the same boat as you.  Good luck.... :2vrolijk_21:

ATOMIC GLIDE

« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

Here's the ends of the plugs when drilled out. Have to remove mufflers.

ATOMIC GLIDE

« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

Here's the 1 1/4 hole saw and 10 arbor extension I got at Lowes.
When drilling you have to start out slow because its going to grab. I put a little oil on the bit before I started.

60FLH

Just cut the tack welds on the extensions to remove on the later mufflers, and they slip out. The rest is as posted previously. One down, one to go.

ultrarider123

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »

VERY NICE!  Had to be a way to get these extensions out an easy way....way to go, brother.... :2vrolijk_21:

60FLH

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »

I rewelded the extensions on after a test ride. It sounds a whole bunch better than the ghetto cruiser/helicopter-ish sound that it had without them. Definitely messed up the tune.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.