Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Happy with Thundermax and Auto Tune????  (Read 12349 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Happy with Thundermax and Auto Tune????
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:47:11 AM »

I know they have their own space, and I know it's been talked about in the past, but I'm bringing it up again and I'd like owners opinions of it.  Of you fine folks that have the ThunderMax and AutoTune (or just the ThunderMax), how do ya like it now.....after having had it on for a while???  How about installing the AutoTune, did ya just change pipes or install bungs on your existing exhaust??  Routing the wiring, I'm guessing the front sensor has to route under the tank, easy enough to do??

I'm nearly done with the bike (if the damn tools would hurry up and get here) and have been looking to Dyno, but I don't really trust anybody local here......so I'm considering jumpin overboard and getting the ThunderMax/AutoTune setup.  Zippers is local to me so I can just run down and get it when I decide.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Happy with Thundermax and Auto Tune????
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »

This has all been covered a bit in different places but I'll take a shot at doing it here in one place.  Our intermittent faux winter this year finally arrived just about the time I got mine installed.  So I've only got a little over 400 miles on the bike since it was installed.  First impression, however, are that I'm surprisingly pleased with the system.  Will cover your questions (somewhat) ad seriatim:

how do ya like it now:  The system seems to work completely as advertised and expected.  A dyno run tracked the AFR quite accurately to to what the autotune settings were set for.

change pipes or bungs on your existing exhaust:  Bungs on my pipes.  $10 for a pair of bungs, and 20 minutes using a hole saw, ball peen hammer and dragging out the welder didn't justify the cost of a set of pipes.  Plus no concerns about "would it fit?"  Just pick and ideal spot and stick 'em on.  No problems at all with the install.

Routing the wiring:  Still eyeballing after a ride to make sure not getting any chafing anyplace.  But so far it has looked as if that shouldn't be an issue.  Rear sensor comes back strapped to the starter bracket, under the frame and comes out to the ECM area under the battery box.  Straped down to a vertical frame tube and keeps good clearance from the swingarm.  My front sensor did not go under the tank.  Out of the pipe, strapped that little cross support piece between the downtubes, then down the right downtube, runs along the tube joining all the other harness and line running along the inside of the tube and meets the connector from the autotune module just forward of the transmission.

You wrote that you were considering the unit since you were close to Zippers.  Just the ECM by itself I personally would never do unless that were the case.  No two bikes are ever the same.  No one (ok, almost no one) but them can tune that ECM.  Since I could never get it actually tuned to the bike I'd choose not to use it.  Just among the population here there are too many stories of close not being good enough.  

With the autotune package, however, it is proving to be a very slick package indeed.  The setup after installation is straighforward and obviously laid out in the cheat sheet they send.  After that's done the system "just works."  So far anyway I've found nothing to knock it for.  From me that's pretty high praise.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 01:18:39 PM »

Twolane, I have heard that it sometimes throws a fault code that can't be cleared.  And, any problems at all with the security system?  How about the '07 with that self-arming feature?  And for the '07 110s with the acr, I think I read that that was (or will be shortly) available, but does it work without any problems?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »

Twolane, I have heard that it sometimes throws a fault code that can't be cleared.  And, any problems at all with the security system?  How about the '07 with that self-arming feature?  And for the '07 110s with the acr, I think I read that that was (or will be shortly) available, but does it work without any problems?

Don't have an 07 so can't personally speak to any of those issues.  Have read here that the ACR fix is "in production" and due in hand to them "soon."  The new 07 security system (which I like less and less the more I hear of it) also had some issues that I honestly don't remember the resolution to.

On my 05, however, the alarm system still works as it always did.  The only differences that one immediately notices (not discussing how it runs, just differences in operation) on my bike are that it starts a little quicker/easier (even with the slightly higher compression) and that turn signal cancelling behaves a bit differently.  Initially I thought I had a problem there.  It wasn't. Just "different."  They take about a second a half longer to turn off now than they did before.  But they still turn off.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »

The alarm system actually wasn't broke when it was released the issue was thought to be the alarm when in fact it was the ACR blowing the fuses on the system.  They are in production of the newest version of the software and the hardware to eliminate having to by pass the ACR if you dont want to do that.   It is expected to be released in approx 2 weeks give or take, (disclaimer applies here).

As far as routing goes when we had it on my 07' the wiring went down below the oil filter towards the left side of the bike and following the frame rail up to the rear cylinder then up to the ecm.   In the original style of the auto tune you could clip the back side of the mounting plate of the stock ECM and the add on would wire tie into there nice and neatly.  The thunder max bolted into where the ECM existed.   Nice clean and simple the only issue that I found was having to get the sensor past the rear brake master cylinder.   Just took some twisting and fitmet tries nothing to demanding.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, unless we get some folks on here that are having nothing but problems I'll probably go pick one up.  Would be nice to see a few more replies........

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »

I have the ThunderMax without the autotune...so far, the only issue that I have is that the turn signals will not self-cancel...a minor inconvenience really.  I am going to have it dynoed tomorrow to check the AFR and see if I need to have it tuned, or perhaps get the autotune feature added.  I'm also going to check and make sure that the correct code for my bike is programmed into the ECM, which "might" be the problem with the turn signals.  I will have a better idea by the end of the day tomorrow.  Otherwise, I love it...runs smooth, strong, and absolutely removed ALL of the decel popping from the Rineharts...that alone is worth the cost of the ThunderMax to me.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:25:17 AM »

Well I picked one up on Monday, got it installed yesterday, hopefully I'll have the bike back together today and can get in some miles soon.  Lookin forward to this.  Installation wasn't too bad, think I got all the wires routed out of harms way.  Just had bungs welded onto my V&H True Dual exhaust, seems they are out of the way enough to not be easily seen.  Thanks for the information, made it a little easier to throw $800 at it........

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »

Hey friends,

You have a special offer by THUNDERMAX :
309-300R ThunderMax module only (to be run in open loop) $ 389.00
309-330R ThunderMax with AutoTune (to be run in closed loop) $ 729.00  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
at this place :

http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=588&prod=2181

I've put this offer in this thread :

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1169064199

Jacques
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:45:07 PM by bisounours »
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »

Well I got about 60 miles on it, it's obvious the AutoTune is doing it's job, had a HUGE flatspot at 2K RPM doing about 50mph and roll on the throttle, on/off with the switch a couple times and reenact the same scenario it got better and better til it was just gone.  Still has a cough going from decel to accel at around 1500 RPM, I'm sure it'll work itself out.  The ThunderMax does seem to make it run smoother.  Was hoping for a little more kick-in-the-a$$ from the 575's but it's never enough, I'm just happy to feel some improvement.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »

FR8TRN congrats on the new auto tune. I can't wait till I get a chance to get mine installed.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

Well I got about 60 miles on it, it's obvious the AutoTune is doing it's job, had a HUGE flatspot at 2K RPM doing about 50mph and roll on the throttle, on/off with the switch a couple times and reenact the same scenario it got better and better til it was just gone.  Still has a cough going from decel to accel at around 1500 RPM, I'm sure it'll work itself out.  The ThunderMax does seem to make it run smoother.  Was hoping for a little more kick-in-the-a$$ from the 575's but it's never enough, I'm just happy to feel some improvement.

Noticed things similar for the first couple hundred miles Mike.  It was never "bad" anyplace.  But certain little noticable things did smooth out.  It wasn't even all just me getting used to how it was running.  The bike really does work itself in and get better with the passage of the first several miles.  Glad your impressions are positive as well.  Have fun and enjoy the new parts.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »

FR8TRN congrats on the new auto tune. I can't wait till I get a chance to get mine installed.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Quit wastin time Dawg, get it done   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  ......I was surprised at how easy it was getting the AutoTune in there, I thought it would be a pain routing the wiring, but it's almost invisible and took almost no time.  I did have to put the box on top of the ECM though, the area behind my ECM Mount was taken up by the alarm module and various other things, shouldn't be a problem though.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 08:46:43 PM »

Noticed things similar for the first couple hundred miles Mike.  It was never "bad" anyplace.  But certain little noticable things did smooth out.  It wasn't even all just me getting used to how it was running.  The bike really does work itself in and get better with the passage of the first several miles.  Glad your impressions are positive as well.  Have fun and enjoy the new parts.

The flat spot was bad, I got on the throttle and it would just fall right on it's face, but it's gone.  Got out for about 50 miles today again, the cough only happened once about half way thru, so hopefully it's getting itself worked out also.  Happened a bunch more the other day.

What are you running the AFR at???

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »

What are you running the AFR at???

So far left at the original setting of 13.0:1 across the board.  At that set of settings it got 38-39 mpg.  Before good weather comes back to stay I'm going to change it a bit though.  Will leave it at 13:1 below 2600 and above 3200 for the pass-a-truck effect and any moderate cooling effect idling in warmer weather.  At those highway cruise-control cruise RPMs though I'm going to move it to 13.6-13.7 or somewhere in that range.  See if I really "feel" the difference at all and see if makes any appreciable difference to cruising fuel mileage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.