Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tracking issue  (Read 2574 times)

mr mojo

Tracking issue
« on: September 01, 2015, 10:38:02 AM »

Hey all,

I have a '13 110th Ultra CVO and have noticed that it doesn't feel as "solid" when traveling down the road. The front end seems to wander with the grooves in the road and acts like I'm riding behind a semi.
I've ridden my buddies' bikes (09 CVO Ultra, 14 Limited) and even my wife's 08 883 and they all track solidly and with no wander.
Dealer says all is fine. Neck bearings etc...
Any thoughts?
Thinking about trading in for a '16 CVO Limited just for the ride.
And I will ride it first!!
Thanks for your help,
Love the forum,
Jon
Ocala Fl

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Tracking issue
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »

Jon, 

Has the bike always been that way?   If not, did you change tire brands by chance?  Some will follow the grooves more than others, especially if you went to radials.  See here:  Motorcycle Tire Wear   It could also be an alignment issue which the dealership did not check.   Hope this helps. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mr mojo

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »

It has always been that way. I didn't know the difference since my last bike ('09 Ultra) did the same thing.
I also did change tires recently(different problem, long story) but that didn't change anything.
Rode the Sportster the other day and wished the CVO was as nice in the steering.
Odd statement, for sure.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »

Wonder if this is the same issue previously reported at least by ErnieZap. I believe he had similar. :nixweiss: Hope you get it resolved soon.

mr mojo

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »

Been searching for ErnieZap posts.
Any hints?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »

Been searching for ErnieZap posts.
Any hints?

Send erniezap a pm.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mr mojo

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 05:25:55 PM »

Thanks for that. I saw that once before but forgot about it.
Called my dealer and the tech said he'd help me with some R&D on the wheel issue.
Hope it solves the problem. Will keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Jon

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 12:28:40 AM »

Yes, the WHEELS ARE THE PROBLEM.  As in the post listed (which I started) and received great info from Ernie, replacing the wheels with anything else will correct the problem.  The dealership and I both chased everything else prior to Ernie saying it was the wheel design.  I then put a borrowed stock Street Glide wheel with a badly cupped tire and the problem was solved.  I had to do the wheel change myself since the dealership would not do it.  I even took it the dealership with the Street Glide wheel on it to prove the problem and it was too bad for me.  The Motor Company would do nothing for me.  I ended up putting Performance Machine wheels on my bike but anything else will work.  Stock bagger wheels, Street Glide wheels, Road Glide wheels, aftermarket wheels, etc will eliminate the problem immediately.  I am only sorry Harley would not stand up to the problem.  You will notice in the parts catalog HD says all other wheels are not applicable to a CVO Ultra.  I believe they only say that to avoid any responsibility for their poorly designed wheel.  The wheel acts like a fan and makes the front move around.  It is even worse when you are around another vehicle but still bad when going down the highway with nothing around you.  Good luck and PM me if you want any further info on my experience.  I know my experience has soured me enough to say I will never buy another new Harley and I currently own 5 of them.  My last purchases have been a Honda F6B and an Indian Scout.  Both have presented no issues with the bikes of the companies who produce them.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.