Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: How many 110's are untouched at 25K miles or more?  (Read 50423 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
How many 110's are untouched at 25K miles or more?
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »

Hello Guys, just wondering how many 110's are stock or maybe stage one modified that are still running well with 25K miles or more on them. I have complained about my lifters ticking at 3 thousand RPM and initially the fifth gear wine. At this point the fifth gear wine seems to be getting less and less Any other engine noises are the same as when it was new. I don't want to take my bike in and have the cam bearings, lifters etc replaced if not needed. I have extended my warranty to 2020 so if the engine goes out I will be covered. For the record my motor runs great except for the lifter noise at 3K. Also I would like to mention that on cold start up the engine is quiet (no lifter noise).  I am only at 22k on my 09. I missed a year because of back surgery. Most of my rides are long distance. I drive it locally twice a month just for kicks. All feedback will help me decide if I need to be proactive regarding lifters and cam bearings. Thanks in advance.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: How many 110's are untouched at 25K miles or more?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »

My 2015 FLTRUSE has 34k on it and doesn’t sound any different than when it was new. Engine runs well. Stock with Fullsac DX and 2.25 baffles.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Break shot

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:16:48 PM »

Well I find this discourageing ,, just bought mine has 118 k on the frame engine and trans replaced about 22k ago seems ok but I know little , and here I bought this bike cause I thought my 82 shovel head would be less dependable ,, it's got 8k on total rebuild , I might have to rethink selling it,,

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:55:27 PM »

Break shot, don't get bummed out. My bike still sounds exactly like it did the day I picked it up. The oil use is absolutely minimal. I just want to see how many people do a cautionary replacement of lifters and cam bearings and how many people just let it ride and do their services on a regular basis and see what happens as they build up miles. I know there have been many major catastrophies posted on this site. However, what I am looking for is the people who since their bikes are working fine haven't posted anything negative. Just for the record I don't baby my bike. I have been thru the desert at 115 degrees fully loaded with passenger, and also been over Independence Pass in Colorado with snow on the ground. It runs great every time. CAHDBIKER

Well I find this discourageing ,, just bought mine has 118 k on the frame engine and trans replaced about 22k ago seems ok but I know little , and here I bought this bike cause I thought my 82 shovel head would be less dependable ,, it's got 8k on total rebuild , I might have to rethink selling it,,

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »

50+k replaced comp just now. That's all runs fine no ticking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Break shot

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »

Break shot, don't get bummed out. My bike still sounds exactly like it did the day I picked it up. The oil use is absolutely minimal. I just want to see how many people do a cautionary replacement of lifters and cam bearings and how many people just let it ride and do their services on a regular basis and see what happens as they build up miles. I know there have been many major catastrophies posted on this site. However, what I am looking for is the people who since their bikes are working fine haven't posted anything negative. Just for the record I don't baby my bike. I have been thru the desert at 115 degrees fully loaded with passenger, and also been over Independence Pass in Colorado with snow on the ground. It runs great every time. CAHDBIKER
Well I was thinking since they are hi po engines people who buy them are the people who like to run them , obviously with the bike having 118k this guy liked to ride I bought it from the guys who worked on it they said that it has the 3rd trans in it the motor and trans replacements where done at Harley ,
I don't plan on any long trips hip can't handle it maybe to the beach 150 miles will be the farthest
Mostly 100 miles or less round trips a dozen of those and I'm good

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 04:35:47 AM »

Hello Guys, just wondering how many 110's are stock or maybe stage one modified that are still running well with 25K miles or more on them. I have complained about my lifters ticking at 3 thousand RPM and initially the fifth gear wine. At this point the fifth gear wine seems to be getting less and less Any other engine noises are the same as when it was new. I don't want to take my bike in and have the cam bearings, lifters etc replaced if not needed. I have extended my warranty to 2020 so if the engine goes out I will be covered. For the record my motor runs great except for the lifter noise at 3K. Also I would like to mention that on cold start up the engine is quiet (no lifter noise).  I am only at 22k on my 09. I missed a year because of back surgery. Most of my rides are long distance. I drive it locally twice a month just for kicks. All feedback will help me decide if I need to be proactive regarding lifters and cam bearings. Thanks in advance.CAHDBIKER

This is probably your ticking noise ...

Updated vid with before/after ... BIG difference!

Guys that have done this mod love it. Going to do it myself before winter is over. Just another smart guy that managed to fix another one of harley's many screw-ups with a handfull of tapered bushings.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:43:53 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »

my 09 SERG had a lifter fail at just over 44K, nothing wrong prior.

my 12 SERG had 46K on it at trade no issues other than recalled regulator

My 15 SERGU has 31K on it with no troubles yet.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:34:59 AM »

I have over 55k on my S&S V111.  I replaced lifters at 50k as a precaution. Not a 110 . Just saying you can put a lot of miles on bigger motors . My motor is still going Strong.

mark

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 09:41:05 AM »

Just an observation from the cheap seats:

The OP having to post this question speaks volumes.  I wonder if anyone at HD HQ monitors the various HD forums, including this one?  Something's wrong when customers buy a company's top of the line product, then question whether to start replacing parts.  I'm not Harley or CVO bashing, just pointing out something that's concerning...something that should be especially concerning to a CEO. 

Last year I bought a new Ford F-150 King Ranch.  I couldn't imagine buying a top of the line pickup, then immediately worrying about parts failing.  I don't think Ford mgmt would stand for reliability like that.

BTW, 20k on my CVO with original lifters, etc.  However, started using oil about 10k...1 qt. every 1,000 miles.  Not acceptable on a $30k+ bike after so few miles.  Others have posted similar issues about 110 oil consumption. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:46:18 AM by Mark »

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 10:01:12 AM »

31k on 2011.5. i bought the esp so i would ride and stop being a worry wart. not saying others are worried. i just felt with the litfers,compensators,and radio gps electronic hiccups it was worth it. at 31k my repairs thus far have more than paid for the esp. these were items i did not see comings. the engine is still strong at 31k and totally stock to actually answer the question.

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »

I have close to 20,000 miles on my 2011.5 SEUC with no issues (stage 1) although reading all of the comments makes me nervous about the lifters.  Ron :)
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »

Broken lifter took out original 110 motor on my '12 at 22k.  New motor now has 32k on it with no problems, thankfully.  No mods at all - bone stock.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:43 PM »

I only have 20K on mine but have had no problems. I drive it everyday to downtown Atlanta which involves very high heat during the summer with lots of slow stop and go traffic. We take her on a couple of trips each year and a few day trips to the mountains etc. The only mod I have is a set of Kuryakyn mufflers. Runs great every day!  My last one had 33K with no issues but I didn't ride it downtown so it was easier on the bike.   

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 03:29:16 PM »

I had 32K when I changed out my lifters. (Upgraded cams, oil pump, cam plate, etc. then )

My stock lifters were prefect! I did have a weird noise that I thought was the lifters. Ext. Warranty took care of everything minus my aftermarkets parts.

My inner cam bearing was the culprit.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.