Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Results from my GMR 117 build  (Read 10521 times)

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
Re: Results from my GMR 117 build
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »

Great numbers, ought to be a blast to ride. Got a feeling you will find the next weakest link in your drive train pretty quickly with that torque. lol :P
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 08:22:26 PM »

If you have some 120" buddies, they may get mad  8)
I've seen some 117s give 124s a hard time. :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 11:52:28 PM »

After a little 30 mile cruise yesterday, I went for my first real ride today. 150 miles with some friends on a combination of cruising down some 60 mph highways and playing on some really nice twisty roads.

Even though Steve told me I could "ride it like I stole it" I took it fairly easy most of the day, just kind of checking everything out. I never got into the throttle deep enough to see what it'll really do but I did twist it up a couple of times and it's definitely an arm stretcher and I got just shy of 40 MPG on this first ride.

I have to say that I love the DD7. Very smooth and solid shifting and the gearing was perfect for every situation. The engine was always in a good RPM range no matter what our cruising speed was, or how much it varied. I honestly feel like I changed gears less than I do on my Ultra with the HD six speed. When riding with the group on the Ultra, their cruising speeds had me constantly up and down shifting. That wasn't an issue with the DD7.

So, so far I'm extremely happy with the build and I'm sure the more I ride it the more I'll like it. There's no question in my mind that it's quicker than my Ultra. Next time out I'll get it on some roads where I can turn it loose.

TJAH

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »

Are those Crusher Mellows as they came or did Steve do something to the washer inside the muffler ?
Nice square output @about 1,15/ci

I bet you enjoy the ride.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »

Are those Crusher Mellows as they came or did Steve do something to the washer inside the muffler ?
Nice square output @about 1,15/ci

I bet you enjoy the ride.

Unless Steve did something he didn't tell me, which I highly doubt, they're as they came out of the box.

Between work and the weather I haven't had much chance to ride it but the miles I've put on it have been fun! I did go out for a bit yesterday and on the way home I decided to jump on the interstate and see what it would do. I turned onto the entrance ramp and opened it up until I hit 80, which didn't take long at all, and I put the cruise on. A few seconds later, a guy on a crotch rocket pulled beside me and gave me a big thumbs up. Then he followed me off the interstate to the first red light and asked "what the hell do you have in that thing?". Turned out that he was behind me getting on the ramp. Needless to say, I smiled all the way home. My Ultra is quick and fun but this Road King is a BEAST!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 12:35:50 AM »

Unless Steve did something he didn't tell me, which I highly doubt, they're as they came out of the box.

Between work and the weather I haven't had much chance to ride it but the miles I've put on it have been fun! I did go out for a bit yesterday and on the way home I decided to jump on the interstate and see what it would do. I turned onto the entrance ramp and opened it up until I hit 80, which didn't take long at all, and I put the cruise on. A few seconds later, a guy on a crotch rocket pulled beside me and gave me a big thumbs up. Then he followed me off the interstate to the first red light and asked "what the hell do you have in that thing?". Turned out that he was behind me getting on the ramp. Needless to say, I smiled all the way home. My Ultra is quick and fun but this Road King is a BEAST!

At 80 in 5th, it's just starting to pull :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2016, 07:48:41 AM »

I turned onto the entrance ramp and opened it up until I hit 80, which didn't take long at all, and I put the cruise on. A few seconds later, a guy on a crotch rocket pulled beside me and gave me a big thumbs up. Then he followed me off the interstate to the first red light and asked "what the hell do you have in that thing?". Turned out that he was behind me getting on the ramp. Needless to say, I smiled all the way home. My Ultra is quick and fun but this Road King is a BEAST!

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Enough said, love that feeling!

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2016, 11:06:50 AM »

If I THOUGHT I was as skilled as I wish I was, I'd hurt myself on this thing.  :o Luckily, I'm older and wiser than I used to be. Plus it takes way too long to heal up anymore.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2016, 12:22:07 PM »

If I THOUGHT I was as skilled as I wish I was, I'd hurt myself on this thing.  :o Luckily, I'm older and wiser than I used to be. Plus it takes way too long to heal up anymore.

Plus it takes way too long to heal up anymore  <--  This truth hurts.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »

I've seen some 117s give 124s a hard time. :2vrolijk_21:

Ed,

I am not familiar with this, but I guess it could happen  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 03:34:48 PM »

Ride report 2

I installed the Jagg fan assisted oil cooler that I had bought earlier. I put one on my Ultra last year after getting stuck in traffic on a 98* day and it worked so well I got one for the RK. Didn't get a chance to install it before I took it down to Steve.

Ran through my second tank of gas this weekend. 36.5 MPG on this one, but I did spend a little more time in the throttle. No problems to report, plenty of power at any speed and a nice smooth cruiser. It's a really fun ride!

The only "issue" I have is that for some reason the exhaust on the RK is noticeably quieter than the Ultra, even though they have the same systems. Steve mentioned how quiet it was when he posted the dyno results on his site but I didn't give it any thought until this weekend. I'd like a little more sound so I'm going to see if I can get a set of standard baffles for the Crushers and replace the Mellow baffles.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 08:42:12 PM »

Could it seem quieter due to the lack of a full fairing and tourpak? The smaller windshield area might be resulting in slightly more wind noise and when combined with the lack of a tourpak the exhaust note you hear from the saddle might be muted slightly.
It seems to me that the fairing and tourpak on the Ultra tends to create a bit of an "echo chamber" when it comes to the exhaust note I hear on mine.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »

Could it seem quieter due to the lack of a full fairing and tourpak? The smaller windshield area might be resulting in slightly more wind noise and when combined with the lack of a tourpak the exhaust note you hear from the saddle might be muted slightly.
It seems to me that the fairing and tourpak on the Ultra tends to create a bit of an "echo chamber" when it comes to the exhaust note I hear on mine.

Hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll wait until I go on a group ride and see how the folks behind me feel about the sound. I don't want to be annoying, just want to be heard. The Ultra has been known to activate the VOX on bikes behind me, I'll have to test the Road King.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.