Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water pumps, are they the latest "lifter"?  (Read 3130 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Water pumps, are they the latest "lifter"?
« on: August 04, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »

"15 SERGU, Mine went out at 13k miles. Took two weeks to get one and that was after my dealer pulling in a favor owed by another dealer to him. At the time, there was a 3 week back order on them. Buddy sent me a text this morning. He's in Canada on a bike trip right now. Bought his '15 SERGU on the way home from TX just about 1 year ago. Close to the same mileage. The dealer in Canada is looking to see if they can swap it with one off a new bike as HD's current inventory is NEGATIVE 27. Sounds like someone in Brazil where they're made needs to step up their game. I worked at a water pump manufacturing plant before getting in with Ma Bell. Not much to a water pump, a bearing, a housing, a seal or two, impellers. Amazing that these damn things are breaking that quick.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Ohio HD

• Full CVO Member
Re: Water pumps, are they the latest "lifter"?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »

That sucks!

Brazil has it's own issues with manufacturing, import and export. We're an OEM Italian company with presence there, it's difficult at best.
2009 Ultra Classic ~ Bone Stock 96 inches
2008 Street Glide ~ Bone Stock 117 inches

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:15:55 AM »

Maybe S&S needs to branch out a little into water pumps??

Its absolutely ridiculous that you have a failure at 13K. Like you said, a water pump is very simple and with the limited volume and pressure of liquid that it has to move it should last nearly forever. Cheap made Harley crap!!!!

So glad I don't have to worry about that, all I have to worry about is the crappy lifters, crappy compensator and crooked crank. If I had one more thing on it to worry about I don't know if I could ride it.....
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »

I'm not sure how much they changed the heads on the twin cool motors, but if the weather was not in the 90's, couldn't a person just ride home without the water pump?

I thought all they did was run a passage through the head and encircle the exhaust valve port area.  Externally, they look very similar to a non-twin cool head.

Just wondering in an emergency if that would be an option.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

I'm not sure how much they changed the heads on the twin cool motors, but if the weather was not in the 90's, couldn't a person just ride home without the water pump?

I thought all they did was run a passage through the head and encircle the exhaust valve port area.  Externally, they look very similar to a non-twin cool head.

Just wondering in an emergency if that would be an option.

I was thinking the same thing, Dan.

My guess is the MoCo put a program in the ECM that limited power/shut down the entire system if there was an issue with the pump, however.  With no pump, it may boil the water/fluid stuck in the heads and cause issues??  :nixweiss:

Ohio HD

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »

You do have the water jackets, so the heads probably won't dissipate heat like a standard head does. I probably wouldn't.
2009 Ultra Classic ~ Bone Stock 96 inches
2008 Street Glide ~ Bone Stock 117 inches

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »

It will over heat.. I do not know though if there is a limit to heat vs power.. I did  just replaced a pump though  ..
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 01:52:19 PM »

Not that I have a twin cool bike, but good to know that there would be some over heating involved without the pump.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »

Had another bike come in for " loud engine noise" a dealer had replaced the customers heads with CNC head's that where twin cooled on a air cooled model... It had rear ex guide floating and had ruined the head.. When I pulled the plug/ and pipe to look in the cylinder/ ex port  there was chunks of guide in the chamber and in the pipe as well .. I never took it apart further than that.. Called the customer and dealer can and picked it up .. 
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »

I lost my water pump on my 14 Limited on the way back from Alaska. Got it to the dealer in Burlington Washington. Great people to deal with. Got in there late they checked and they had one in stock. Had me on the lift first thing the next morning and on the road a little later. They even washed my dirty bike for me. Great people to deal with. North Cascades Harley. Oh and BTW the bike had about 33K on it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:44:19 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 05:11:37 AM »

I lost my water pump on my 14 Limited on the way back from Alaska. Got it to the dealer in Birmingham Washington. Great people to deal with. Got in there late they checked and they had one in stock. Had me on the lift first thing the next morning and on the road a little later. They even washed my dirty bike for me. Great people to deal with. North Cascades Harley. Oh and BTW the bike had about 33K on it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Not to be a dick but it's actually Burlington and yes they are a good shop. Just north of Mt. Vernon. Was stationed on Whidbey since 85 to 2004 and it was cool to see them put in a shop there. Used to be Skagit H-D years ago but they moved locations from the Anacortes area and closer to the freeway.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 06:46:02 AM »

Not to be a dick but it's actually Burlington and yes they are a good shop. Just north of Mt. Vernon. Was stationed on Whidbey since 85 to 2004 and it was cool to see them put in a shop there. Used to be Skagit H-D years ago but they moved locations from the Anacortes area and closer to the freeway.

Thank you and yes you are correct. I guess my brain was fried from the very long ride. They were great to deal with and took good care of me.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.