Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: TCX boots  (Read 11869 times)

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
Re: TCX boots
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »

I've been down wearing Original Swat Boots.  No damage to my feet but the boots got pretty scuffed up.  I didn't get my foot caught under the bike or the truck but in a case like that, not sure just how much a thin piece of leather will help if you're sliding down the road with a half ton motorcycle resting on your foot.  In a case like that, I'd be more concerned about the damage to the bones than soft tissue damage.  Shattered ankle can not be good....ever again.  :nixweiss:

True that JCZ True that!

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »

A follow up. Well, a partial, anyway. I got the Stylmartin Legend R boots in. I looked them over, tried one on; formed some opinions. I returned them to Zilla and ordered the TCX Fuel. I'll post about those when I get 'em. If you want the long version of why I rejected the Stylmartins, details and pics follow:
I looked for some "back up" for the CE rating; I didn't find much info. Pics of labels below.
Note that I knew some of these issues before ordering but I wanted to see first hand to affirm.
PROs: The boot did seem very comfortable.
 They are really nice looking, euro-looking boots.
 The style is really in between cruiser and adventure styles.
 The boot is pliable, the leather supple and the finish semi-gloss. (more on that below)
 They seem heavy duty in build quality.

CONs:
 I found the zipper too difficult to use because of the illogical placement of the silly buckled strap *over* the zipper. I had hoped to be able to deal with this but it is one of those annoying details that would bug me every time I wore them.
 I would also have to either operate the buckle every time OR leave the strap loose all the time.  The styling (to me) is almost right. If they would just do away with that bottom strap, I would love the look.
 The finish looks great when new but I've learned that it is designed to weather in a predictable way that will leave the boot burnished and with a reddish mottled color and a premature "well-worn" look. I find this a bit too Birkenstocks and elbow patches for my style. A hipster hit, no doubt but I'd rather have something I can dab a little Kiwl black on to freshen up. The sole of this boot might be a hoot on the dance floor, but I'd prefer more grip. Either a full lug style or something in between.
Overall, I can see that the Legend R is probably a great boot for many. It certainly appears to be high quality, well built. It's not "just right" for me, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:28:56 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »

MrSurly thanks for the write up and photos of the Stylmartin Legend R boots.  I agree with you totally about the soles - definitely want a more aggressive lug type pattern here.  As for styling and ease of use I think you got that right.  Looking forward to your review of the TCX Fuel boots when you get them.

After much research and several phone calls to Revzilla I settled on the Spidi X-Nashville boot.  I really prefer the jump style boot and with a side zip which is what first attracted me to the TCX Hero boot.  But since it does not come in black and the Spidi does I decided to give the Spidi a try.  They are on the UPS truck for delivery yet today so once I have a chance to evaluate them I'll make a post.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:38:18 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »

Got my Spidi X-Nashville boots this evening and even though they appear to be good quality boots they just are not exactly what I want so I'll be returning them.

They look nice and appear to be well made.  The do have tags indicating CE certification.
I thought I was buying a premium European boot but the tag says it is made in China.
They have a nice looking lug sole but it just doesn't feel as substantial as my current Rocky boots.
They are said to be waterproof but there is no webbing for the zipper or around the tongue.  I think water would surely enter here.
I honestly do not like the styling mainly because of the shift pads on each boot.  When I put them on they almost look like they are on the wrong foot due to this.
I bought the size recommended on the size chart - I wear an 11 and their sizing chart says 45 EU for 10.5 US and this is the size Revzilla recommended.  My feet are not wide - I wear a 'C' width in a dress shoe and these boots are just too big width wise across my foot.  The length seems to be fine so I fear that while the next smaller size might better fit the width it would be a bit too short.

I think I'll stick with my tried and trusted Rocky 10" paratrooper style boots and have them resoled.  They fit great and look good.

IBA member # 45520

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 01:27:00 AM »

Daytona Road Stars in my opinion are the best motorcycle boot made period. Very expensive to be sure but incredibly comfortable and protective. I had many different types of boots (which all together added up to way more than if I had just broke down in the first place and bought the daytona's) and not even close..
Anthony at Revzilla does a great video on them
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/daytona-road-star-gtx-boots
Alan

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

TCX boots
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 11:04:11 PM »

I like the look of those Nashvilles. I'm glad to see your comments as you saved me trying them.

And those Daytonas are *most* impressive. I really like the cutaway bragging on how the armor is built in. I would strongly consider them but their shortcoming (nitpicking I know) is that they don't blend in at the office very well.

I rec'd the TCX Fuel boots today and have just put them on. I think they are going to be the winner for me. I'm about to go ride for a while tonight and I'll report back . In the first look out of the box, I immediately thought "damn, I really like the look of these!" They seem the right style, super well built, CE tags, easy operating zipper, wp liner baffle goes almost to the top. The finish looks superb, not military shine but a nice even "BBQ black" low luster shine.
They are a bit heavy compared to SWATs but they are ~substantial~.
The soles are heavy lug style and I'd call them an 8/10 for sole stiffness; not RevZilla's 6/10.
First time putting them on they are pretty damned stiff but I expect them to soften a LOT. I NEED them to soften a lot!
Here's some pics.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:25:10 AM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

TCX boots
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »

Early follow up: TCX Fuel Boots; I rode for two hours, didn't get off the bike and walk around, just riding. First impressions: I like them a lot, so far, with my few issues with them all directly related to their being brand new and needing to 'work in' a bit.
The upper and shaft are quite stiff (yes I know that will subside but I want to point out what to expect.) This newness creates three areas that are (expected to be) a very temporary thing.

Certainly, all three issues, I expect, will be solved simply by wearing them.
If that turns out NOT to be the case, I'll let you know.

First: While the zipper and baffle do open far enough for access, I still wish there were a loop for pulling up the boot. The very basis for this nitpick should also go away as they get softer.
Second, they are stiff enough at first that they initially *resist* walking. Much more so than other similar boots I've had such as enumerable Red Wings, etc. the only boots that I recall starting this rigidly were full lace Lineman's boots.
Third: the angle of the shaft to the sole seems slightly less than I would prefer (let's call it 88* where my riding position on the Ultra is most comfy at, say, 91*. (Annnnnd yes, I just made those numbers up to illustrate so put away your photo-protractors).
This as-built angle is stiff enough right out of the box that the (slight) effort needed to keep my foot flat on the floorboards actually caused my legs to hurt a bit. The boots would be ideal for riding the rear brake and shifter.
Again, this is simply a matter of breaking them in a bit.
If I throw out those complaints that are related to "newness" then I have ZERO complaints.

Some of the likes: the size of the top of the shaft is big enough for me and I'm a fat guy with fat calves (and yes, some edema) who also prefers a tall boot. These fit me fine.

Despite my floorboards and soles being wet, the soles gripped the boards like Velcro.

The boots are very comfortable (discounting the newness issues stated)
In these pics I am wearing Scorpion Pro jeans (Kevlar stuff) that are sold and sized "to be hemmed" and I haven't bothered to hem.... that's why they look that way.

The Fit:
I wear a 10-1/2EE. I also have a high arch. Trying on shoes *in person* is quite frustrating enough.
Online footwear buys are always a crapshoot for me.  I buy from Revzilla specifically because of their easy return policy. They include a return shipping label with everything just in case you might use it. I used it for the Stylmartins and I gave the box to UPS Tuesday and Friday my card was credited, less a charge of $7.45 for the return freight. Not bad considering that UPS would have charged ME more than that and the fact that RevZilla didn't charge me for the initial shipping. Yes, Revzilla really isn't a *discount* place but with service like that, I don't ~care~.
These boots are not available in a wide size, so I ordered as if ordering an 11D, so I checked the 45 euro box. The result is exactly as expected, the width is tolerable enough and the length is a bit roomy, precisely the way that a typical 11D fits me.
Due to my high arch I often have a real comfort problem involving the *TOP* of my foot. Many boots are stingy with leather in that area; the result is that the top of the arch is super tight to me. It will feel as a strap is wrapped around the whole boot right at the arch and the strap ratcheted down permanently. I have to endure this with most boots.... it's not a parameter that appears in anyone's size chart. Finding a boot that is accommodating in this dimension is heavenly and in this aspect, these TCX Fuels are Nirvana for my arch.
I will need later to add a little arch support to the insole but at least the boot can allow it.

The shift pads on the boots are not scuffed though I was riding in town and shifting a lot.
I'll note here that my Original SWAT boots didn't HAVE a shifter pad (of course, they're not riding boots) and their fake leather material would scuff up at the very first shift.

An unexpected bonus: though I've tried really hard, I canNOT  mark up any of the floors with them. They just don't make a mark even violently jamming them on concrete or hardwood or ceramic.

Pending their expected breaking in, a tentative five stars.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:34:26 PM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »

Surly,

Interesting to hear they have enough room for your arch and for support.  I've noticed on many boots that they feel really tight across the foot above the arch, and I don't have a high arch to explain it.  Hope these work for you.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »

Follow up: a thousand miles of local riding, I've worn them to work s couple of times. My minor gripes were all resolved with a little usage. They are very comfortable, they don't cramp my arch and I feel like I could walk all day in them. The upper has softened just enough make everything comfy.
I would absolutely recommend these boots for riding and offering better protection (and less weight) than Red Wings or similar.
They get my vote.

2010FLHTCUSE5

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:47 PM »

Are they waterproof?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:42 PM »

Are they waterproof?
Yes they are. I forgot to take pic of them with the zipper open, which shows the liner.

The video on Revzillas site has lots of info as well.

2010FLHTCUSE5

ultrarider123

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »

Where do you purchase?  Amazon has them in the brown but for list price from TCX.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »

RevZilla. I don't even shop prices as I was swapping another purchase from RevZilla (Stylmartin boots)
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-fuel-wp-boots

2010FLHTCUSE5

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »

Where do you purchase?  Amazon has them in the brown but for list price from TCX.
These things seem to be like 'fair traded' items of years gone by.  Seems that every vendor has same $279.99.  Earlier I did find one overseas that was cheaper but when adding in the extraordinarily high cost of shipping it was no bargain.

IBA member # 45520

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »

MrSurly, it looks like you found your boot. But if you are still curious about the FXRG3, I run with those and since we're both in East Texas, I'd be happy to meet-up to let you inspect. Just wear clean socks that day!
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 21 queries.