Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Harley Electra glide won't start  (Read 2834 times)

marinechamp

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MS

2007 Harley Electra glide won't start
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »

I was having trouble with being able to get into the menu on my radio. When I pushed the audio button nothing would happen. I took the left side switch assembly and clutch off and discovered the prior owner had spliced a couple of wires together so he must have had the same problem at one time. I found one wire loose and spliced it back and put electrical tape around the bundle of wires and put the assembly back together. Now everything on the radio works fine. It was a very tight fit putting it back. Now to my problem.

After fixing the radio, I turned my bike to ignition. All electrical items come on but when I try to start it nothing happens. Not even a click.   

Could I have caused a problem by removing the left side audio assy and clutch? It will not crank in neutral or with the clutch in. In the manual, there is an old security code the last owner wrote in. Could it be a security system problem? When the bike is moved with the key in the house, the security lights flash. I've had it 2 weeks and have no idea. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

marinechamp

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MS

Re: 2007 Harley Electra glide won't start
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »

Please disregard this post. Somehow the ignition fuse was blown. Changed it out and runs like a charm

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »

Nice catch.  Gotta love it when you the solutions are simple (and cheap).   :drink:

marinechamp

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MS

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:37:05 PM »

Yes. It's satisfying when u figure out something u know nothing about. Now I know where the fuse box is, how to take the hard case off and learned a lot by researching other options. Just wondering how I blew the fuse. I did have bare wires on the left switches with the radio on. Would touching on on that side blow the ignition fuse? Hope so. I'd hate to know u may have another short somewhere.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »

Yes. It's satisfying when u figure out something u know nothing about. Now I know where the fuse box is, how to take the hard case off and learned a lot by researching other options. Just wondering how I blew the fuse. I did have bare wires on the left switches with the radio on. Would touching on on that side blow the ignition fuse? Hope so. I'd hate to know u may have another short somewhere.

First thought is the obvious; nothing in the left grip on a 2007 that impacts starting the bike or the ignition system/circuits.  So you can't help but worry just a little.  Having said that sometimes fuses just pop.  Were I in your case I'd give everything a thorough look-over.  Once.  Then I'd just smile and ride it and not worry about it anymore unless the problem recurred.

marinechamp

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MS

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »

I agree. It's worrisome because I'm taking a trip about 700 miles in 2 weeks. It's my first Harley and first bike in 15 yrs. I've had no problems with it in 2 wks and the left side is the only thing I've touched. So hopefully ur right. Just time for the fuse to go. I will be getting 1 month of road side assistance insurance before my trip now though. Lol

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:01:33 PM »

I agree. It's worrisome because I'm taking a trip about 700 miles in 2 weeks. It's my first Harley and first bike in 15 yrs. I've had no problems with it in 2 wks and the left side is the only thing I've touched. So hopefully ur right. Just time for the fuse to go. I will be getting 1 month of road side assistance insurance before my trip now though. Lol

Maybe an idea to take some extra spare fuses with you for the sake of a couple of $$.

Enjoy your trip ride safe :2vrolijk_21:

marinechamp

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MS

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »

Great minds think alike. Already got them. Thx

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.