Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Race Tuner or Efi Fueler  (Read 1836 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Race Tuner or Efi Fueler
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:55:48 PM »

I just recieved my 05 SEEG. I am trying to decied which would be better for my bike.
Im not looking to boost HP or TQ numbers so much as just wanting to richen up the motor enough to keep it cooler and smooth it out.
Does anyone know if the EFI tuner comes with loaded programs for pipe changes and filter changes ?
I would hate to spend 450.00 for something that for half the price will do the same thing.
Thanks
Dave

mfgreen

Re: Race Tuner or Efi Fueler
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 01:18:53 PM »

I just recieved my 05 SEEG. I am trying to decied which would be better for my bike.
Im not looking to boost HP or TQ numbers so much as just wanting to richen up the motor enough to keep it cooler and smooth it out.
Does anyone know if the EFI tuner comes with loaded programs for pipe changes and filter changes ?
I would hate to spend 450.00 for something that for half the price will do the same thing.
Thanks
 Dave

The parameters that you have established dictate that you would utilize the race fueler.
mysite.freeserve.com/hhog/ _j03197.pdf

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:35:36 PM »

the race tuner can be had at Chicago HD online for $375
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Vettster

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 10:07:37 PM »

I pondered the same thing.
What finally made my mind up on it was the fact that I live here in Mexico and have no dealer support. So, I am the tuner.   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I figured the Fueler was a little less complicated and after everything I read, should do the trick in fattening up the mixture.
And should it not work as expected, I can always sell it here for more than what I paid for it and put the proceeds towards the Race Tuner.
I currentlyt do not plan on any more mods until the 3 year warranty is up, but we all know how that usually goes.
Everyones situation is different.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 01:56:46 AM »

Your reasoning is what governed much of my choice also Vettster; though in a slightly different way.  I'm fortunate enough to have a really good dyno guy right here in town.  Well seasoned old dog that almost oozes fuel out his fingertips.  We all know the type.

Even before the bike I arrived I had a conversation with him that basically asked "which one can you do the most with?"  I didn't ask him which could do the most but which he could do the most with.  Since I'll tinker with but he'll be doing the final tuning that goes a long to defining the options.  In my case after 45 minutes of conversation and explanation it ends up being the Power Commander.  But I'm pretty sure that if I had to rely on my own skills to do all the final tuning it would have been a different choice. This is, however, a decision I'd always make not based just on what the device can do but on what whomever you're going to have using it for you is able to do with it.  The expense (and wished for outcome) warrant the conversation.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 07:47:08 AM »

Couldn't agree more with the thought that the choice really comes down to the equipment with which a PROVEN dyno tech is most comfortable with.  In the past few years it seems like every shop that could spell dyno has jumped on the "super tune" craze.  After 20 plus years of fooling with dyno tuning on high performance cars and V-Twins I have learned the expensive lesson that the experience and reputation of the tuning tech and his familiarity with the equipment is the primary criterea in obtaining the desired result.  Best advice.....look at the history of the dyno facility, the operator and talk to several people concerning the overall result.  Many, many self proclaimed experts out there promoting the dyno scams! [smiley=furious3.gif]

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 11:48:59 AM »

Thanks
 Dave

Dave as long as you use HD parts (SE stuff) you will probaly find a MAP for the Race Tuner (that is the program you are refering to) on the suppled CD they give you, if you are planning to go with something by another manufacter (Vance&Hines, Rinehart, Bassani) plan on spending the money for a dyno tuning otherwise just buy the Race Fueler (which adjusts fuel only) the Race Tuner will modify timing, fuel/air mixtures, idle, cranking fuel (for starting) REV limiter and can do it for each cylinder independently offering great flexability yet also creating complexity [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Hope that helps, I'm using the race tuner myself with aftermarket exhaust, because the 5500 rev limit was too low for my particular taste and can, only change that with race tuner.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 11:51:42 AM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 12:38:48 PM »

Couldn't agree more with the thought that the choice really comes down to the equipment with which a PROVEN dyno tech is most comfortable with.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 02:28:05 PM »

Put the closed loop EFI system in your bike and be done with it.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/TCFI.html

Tony - www.1700cc.co.uk

• Senior CVO Member
  • WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel

• CVO1: FLHYCSE2
    • CVO2: Boss Hoss (w/ZZ430 motor)
    • My bike's website
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:46:26 PM »

You guys are lucky! Unless someone can help by contradicting me, I know of no UK Harley dealers who have a dyno rolling road. The aftermarket V-twin shops tend to push aftermarket parts as the HD dealers won't give them much margin on parts. So it is a lottery over here!

However, I am lucky because I live 20 minutes from Preston, which is home to the sole UK importer of DynoJet (roads, PCIII, etc). I have pre-flattered the owner and I have my fingers crossed that he will be enthused to work on my SEEG.

I will post the results. I am going for HD flash upgrade, PCIII, 2:1 Thunderheader, SE race air filter to start with.
BC Gerolamy modified heads
TW8 gear drive cams
Daytona TwinTec with WEGO
BC Gerolamy throttle body
Overflow air filter
Feuling Super Pump
V&H Pro Pipe
Cometic Gaskets

WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel when changing

telephone systems

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 02:12:50 PM »

DAVID:
HERE'S WHAT I'VE DONE AND THE RESULTS ARE PERFECT.
DID THE 2005 DOWNLOAD AND INSTEAD OF THE CHECKERED FLAG HARLEY PIPES I INSTALLED SAMSON ROLLED THUNDER OVALS. I HAD THE SAMSONS ON A PREVIOUSLY BUILT UP 2003 ELECTRA GLIDE STANDARD AND WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THEM.
I DID NOT TOUCH THE 2005 AIR FILTER. THE 2005 FILTER IS ALREADY A HIGH CAPACITY AND MUCH IMPROVED FROM THE 2004.
PUT IN A FRESH SET OF PLUGS AND DID A 200 MILE LOOP. PULLED THEM OUT AND THEY ARE BURNING CLEAN AS A WHISTLE.
LIKE YOU, I JUST WANTED TO RICHEN THINGS UP A LITTLE AFTER ADDING THE PIPES. MY THEORY IS THAT THE CURRENT AIR CLEANER WILL HELP KEEP THE MIXTURE A LITTLE RICHER THAN A K&N TYPE FILTER. ALSO I'VE BEEN TOLD THERE IS NO SPECIFIC AIR FILTER FOR THE 2005. JUST THE 2004.
THE DIFFERENCES I IMMEDIATELY SAW WERE MUCH SMOOTHER OPERATION AT LOWER SPEEDS BETWEEN 1500 & 2500 RPM. BIKE DOSEN'T HAVE ANY ANXIOUS/LEAN TENDENCIES AT AROUND TOWN SPEEDS. CRANK IT UP AND IT PULLS STRONG AND STEADY UP TO 6000 RPM. (HAVEN'T VENTURED ABOVE). ALSO NOTICED A SLIGHTLY COOLER ENGINE TEMPERATURE. BEFORE THE DOWNLOAD THE PIPES WOULD HAVE A LIGHT BROWN EXHAUST DEPOSIT IN THEM AND THE PLUGS WOULD BE ALMOST PURE WHITE WHICH OBVIOUSLY MEANT TOO LEAN A MIXTURE WITH THE SAMSONS.
GOT A BUDDY AT WORK THAT HAS A NEW RED SCREAMER BEING BUILT TODAY AND I'M TRYING TO CONVINCE HIM NOT TO ADD THE STAGE ONE FILTER KIT THAT MOST OWNERS PUT ON LAST YEAR.
ANYWAY,AFTER ALL OF THIS RAMBLING ON I DON'T THINK YOU NEED ANYTHING BUT THE PIPES AND DOWNLOAD. IT'LL RUN JUST FINE.....................................................................
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »

Hey HarleyBill,
 The download your refering to is the stage one download from Harley?
Or a download from the HarleyRace tuner.
Like you I would rather keep the stock filter on my bike. I feel that it does a lot better job of keeping out dirt than a K&N .
Thanks,
David

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 04:42:07 PM »

DAVE:

IT'S THE HARLEY DOWNLOAD WHICH JUST BECAME AVAILABLE APPROX 3 WEEKS AGO.
I TOOK DELIVERY IN MID JULY. I BELIEVE IT WAS ONE OF THE VERY FIRST TO HIT THE DEALERS. ALREADY HAVE 3000 MILES.  BOUGHT IT TO RIDE! THE DIFFERENCE AFTER ABOUT 1200 MILES IS INCREDIBLE. WHEN I FIRST PICKED UP THE BIKE IT WOULDN'T LUG DOWN TO 2000 RPM IN 4TH OR 5TH. WOULD BUCK AND THE PRIMARY SOUNDED LIKE HELL. IT ALL SETTLED DOWN BUT YOU GOT TO GET THE MILES ON TO LOOSEN THINGS UP. LIKE MOST OF THE OWNERS ON THIS SITE I RUN THE SYN 3 IN CRANKCASE,STANDARD HD IN PRIMARY AND REDLINE IN THE TRANS. JUST CHANGING THESE MAKES A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE. PUT ON A 12" HARLEY FLAMED WINDSCREEN WHICH REALLY GOES WITH THE BIKE. OK MAN,GOOD LUCK AND GOOD RIDING.
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 05:19:28 PM »

DAVE:

IT ALL SETTLED DOWN BUT YOU GOT TO GET THE MILES ON TO LOOSEN THINGS UP. LIKE MOST OF THE OWNERS ON THIS SITE I RUN THE SYN 3 IN CRANKCASE,STANDARD HD IN PRIMARY AND REDLINE IN THE TRANS. JUST CHANGING THESE MAKES A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE. PUT ON A 12" HARLEY FLAMED WINDSCREEN WHICH REALLY GOES WITH THE BIKE. OK MAN,GOOD LUCK AND GOOD RIDING.

I agree with the oil change in the trans. During the first 100 miles on the bike the transmission 4th gear had a real bad whine.  I replaced the oil with Amsoil gear lube and it sounds great now.

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.