Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water pump did not come on  (Read 1492 times)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
Water pump did not come on
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »

23,000 trouble free miles on the '15 CVO RGU, then yesterday about 250 miles from home after I stopped for a beer and a burger I had an issue. I started the bike and took off, got about 2 miles up the road then got the check engine and water temp lights. I felt of the radiator outlet ports and could tell no heat was coming off of them so I knew the water pump wasn't running. I kept on going and got about 20 miles up the road and had to stop to take a phone call. Once I started it back up the pump was running. I had to shut it down 2 more times on the trip home and it started every time. Has anyone else experienced this?
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
Re: Water pump did not come on
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »

First question is; were the fans running or not?

2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »

Water pumps have been an issue for more than a few folks, including some on this site.  There are quite a few threads with more detail.  Type "water pump" into the search box on this site.  Include the quotation marks.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »

First question is; were the fans running or not?

The fans were not running, but I was at highway speed. I stuck my hand in the outlets and there was no heat.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:57:18 PM »

I had a similar problem on a recent trip. Two idiot lights came on - check engine and coolant temperature. Coolant level was fine. Cooling system fuse (10A) looked good. No codes were thrown. That last item indicated (to me) that thermostat, cooling pump, and fans had not faulted. Led me back to fuse. I replaced the fuse and problem went away.

FYI, in the process of diagnosis, I spoke with a service advisor at Grand Junction H-D (one of three dealers who were all 150-miles away). He agreed with the diagnostic steps I had taken. He advised that if the new fuse didn’t fix the problem, simply disconnect the electrical connection to the cooling pump and just ride it in for service. He stated the the wet head is really only cooling the exhaust manifold and no further damage would occur as long as I didn’t join a parade.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:58:55 AM »

This just happed to me.  2015 SG.

Dealer said that over the weekend had three other 2015s stop in with same issue. 

My problem was the pump....They also replaced the coolant temp sensor.

When my check engine and coolant temp lights came on, I pulled over and checked the coolant level....good.

I did the coolant system test, ignition on then open throttle till fans come on. The air coming out of the lower fairing was cool which indicated to me the coolant was not being circulated.

Since yours seems to be intermittent....I also remember reading about chaffed sensor wires.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:04:07 AM by Cat Eye »

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:45:05 AM »

I just had my pump replaced at 36,500 miles. Now mine hadn't failed failed yet but going to South Dakota next week and didn't want this as an issue so I replaced for preventive maint. so to speak. I'll take my ole pump as a spare in case someone else has an issue.
  Got it from Surdyk for $313 free shipping. Dealer next to me wanted $434 for one.  :o  Had it installed at my indie J&B Performance for $65. Now I'm ready for the trip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:46:36 AM by Tn.Heritage »
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.