Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Hydration Vest  (Read 3720 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Harley Hydration Vest
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »

Just wondering if the hydration vest works well in the hot weather of the SW.  We will be going through Nebraska,Kansas,Utah, Arizona and New Mexico this July and know it's going to be hot.  Are they worth it?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Harley Hydration Vest
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »

Yes, buy it. It has served me well for many years now. It's best to wear it under something like a denim vest. That will help keep it from drying out too quickly.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »

Perhaps the best riding accessory I have ever owned. I use it when the temps exceed 90*.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:01:32 PM »

Just wondering if the hydration vest works well in the hot weather of the SW.  We will be going through Nebraska,Kansas,Utah, Arizona and New Mexico this July and know it's going to be hot.  Are they worth it?

Feel free to reach out to me when you’re in NM.
PM me

Simon

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »

I used the packs in a jacket...Too much work for the results. It was cool, for a bit of time but the packs are heavy and pull away from the velcro. I would soak them overnight in a small cooled with iced water, or in a bowl of water in frig. They made my shirt wet but again it was worth it when hot. But they dried too fast, or warmed up. Then I was hot, heavy and wet.  I used in two long,cross country trips and gave up. Found soaking my shirt down and using the vented jacket gave good results without the hassle of the packs.  Summary...works but a hassle of using the packs.  Neck cooler inside a jacket works better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:08:05 PM by bakon »
Will

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »

We have the vests, work very good. Used the when we went down and back from Arches National Park.
We soak them in a 1 gal zip lock baggy. Than put them on under a shirt, by the next fill up they are still damp. Put them back in the baggy soak and back on they go.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »

We have used them and glad we had them. Just soaked at every gas stop and dry just before the next stop. Make sure to remove just before the sun goes down. BRRRRRRRR. We had a good laugh right Soozie?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 08:40:10 PM »

If you want a less expensive method, or only need cooling for the occasional trip or ride...buy a bag of ice and either put it inside your jacket, or else carry it on your lap.  Lasts a pretty long time.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  I ordered one, new silver material.  Tried it this weekend with 90 degrees and 87% humidity. The high humidity negates some of the evaporation cooling effect.  It seemed to be cooler.  It weighs a lot when loaded with water.  And it soaked my t-shirt when I put it on.  Gravity let all the water run out the bottom and it looked like I peed my pants when I got off the bike at the gas stop.  I will try to hang it on a hanger for a few minutes to drain some of the water out.  I think in a dryer climate it will be better.  I need more experimentation.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »

Here in south Louisiana, where it’s 95 degrees and 95% humidity, I use a phase change ( ice packs) vest and two sets of packs (8) . Each set lasts about 2-3 hours. I have a H-D ice cooler that fits nicely in a saddlebag with a small homemade block of ice, I switch them out and they refreeze in about an hour and your shirt stays 90% dry, just a slight dampness that looks dry.

It really only takes a minute to make the switch while others are waiting for the restroom.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 04:02:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I ordered one, new silver material.  Tried it this weekend with 90 degrees and 87% humidity. The high humidity negates some of the evaporation cooling effect.  It seemed to be cooler.  It weighs a lot when loaded with water. And it soaked my t-shirt when I put it on.  Gravity let all the water run out the bottom and it looked like I peed my pants when I got off the bike at the gas stop.  I will try to hang it on a hanger for a few minutes to drain some of the water out.  I think in a dryer climate it will be better.  I need more experimentation.
Yes that is the downside. Last time we used them it was over 100 degrees 5 days in a row. We didn't care as by the time we stopped for gas all was dry again. I didn't laugh anymore about Mrs. R buying them. Seems like they were cheap at Revzilla

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 05:24:46 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  I ordered one, new silver material.  Tried it this weekend with 90 degrees and 87% humidity. The high humidity negates some of the evaporation cooling effect.  It seemed to be cooler.  It weighs a lot when loaded with water.  And it soaked my t-shirt when I put it on.  Gravity let all the water run out the bottom and it looked like I peed my pants when I got off the bike at the gas stop.  I will try to hang it on a hanger for a few minutes to drain some of the water out.  I think in a dryer climate it will be better.  I need more experimentation.
The wet vests work great in dry climates, but as you noticed, not so great in high humidity.  You need ice in humid areas, such as King Glide used.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 02:21:40 PM »

King Glide has the best idea. We tried the vests years ago in south florida and they just don't work very well with 90% humidity. I have done the bag of ice trick but used a regular sore muscle type bag that has a screw-on cap that you buy at drug store and they work very well and can be filled from soda machine at 7-11 etc. Once had to pay 79 cents but most times store just lets me fill it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »

They work in the dry air.  I've been using one for years before Harley came out with theirs......   https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=108512.msg1391662#msg1391662

I've also filled the pockets with ice from the ice barrel that gas stations in those really hot areas have their drinks in, after I've soaked the vest in the bathroom sink.

Other brands are the same thing but much cheaper than the HD brand.....   https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cool+vest&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=241655376434&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3538439503198321467&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1025846&hvtargid=kwd-2007787301&ref=pd_sl_96wcoeqs6m_e

You also want to wear a lightweght performance shirt (some where it over the vest).  The shirt that I have on in the photo has a large, mesh vent that starts at the wrist and runs up under the arms to the arm pits to provide flow through ventilation when your hands are on the bars while still protecting you from sunburn.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 09:43:46 PM »

I have gotten to old to ride with only a shirt for protection from road rash. Ride for the fall now, elbow, shoulder & back armor a requirement. Prices online for hydration stuff was good though.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.