Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: electrical issues maybe alarm  (Read 581 times)

honcho0326

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

electrical issues maybe alarm
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »

Hello all. so i am working on a 2017 CVO FLHTKSE and put new bars on it. I unhooked the batt and the alarm went ape chit. with the FOB present it didint turn off. not sure why. got it to finally go off or the batt in the alarm finally died off. anyway, i ran the wires in the new bars and all that good stuff. Now the harness extenders he got were wrong so as i have done MANY times before i cut the connectors off and extend it to the length i needed, soldiered and heat shrunk the wires and connected them. no power to the fairing. well it wont spin up. I have power to the switches but, they are not doing anything. when i hit the lock unlock on the FOB the bike lights up, fuel pump kicks on and still no power to the fairing. not even the odometer. so my thinking is the alarm has kicked it into some kind of stolen mode or whatever. how do you correct that? OOOR i have to replace the harness with a new one and the plug and play extenders. I have spliced these harnesses before with no issues at all. did one a few weeks ago on a 2015 with no problem. so if i replace the harness with all new and no splices and it doesnt fix it, i guess i take it to HD to run a diagnostic on it. maybe the BCM is locked? because it is so new and all the damn electronics in it i am just not familiar with them yet. any insight or anyone hear of this? or any suggestions? 

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: electrical issues maybe alarm
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »

well, i'm not sure that i can help with your present situation, but i can give you a couple of things to look for. 

first, if a bike has an alarm, you can't just unhook the battery.  you have to have your fob present, disarm the security, then pull the master fuse.  after you've done that, then you're free to work on anything without it screaming at you.

secondly, from 2014 on, the touring bikes are can-bus.  they don't like cutting and soldering wires, messes with the expected signals.  is that the case here?  i dunno.

hopefully, someone else can come along that has more experience in the can-bus and help you out.

good luck.

(hope you aren't charging this guy to mess up his bike for him....)
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

honcho0326

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Re: electrical issues maybe alarm
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »

no charge. I also have a feeling that is the issue. so, I will get the new harness out of my pocket. I dont have people pay for something i messed up and  I WILL fix it so its right. So I will find out in a day or so if that fixes it. thanks.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.