Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What up with this tire, is it falling apart?  (Read 1570 times)

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
What up with this tire, is it falling apart?
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »

Anyone has had or seen these cracks on their tires? They still have good thread, but not sure about the cracks 😳.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
Re: What up with this tire, is it falling apart?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »

G’day Let’s Roll,

I had a crosswise crack/split in a near new tyre & returned it immediately. It was wider & deeper. Apparently it happens from time to time.

Yours looks like something has cut it or possibly run over a piece of channel or something similar.

Cheers Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »

I'm agreeing with the Major on it looking like you may have run over something.  Is it all around the tire or just in the area you picture?  If it's all around and uniform in where it is, take it back and/or get it replaced.  I wouldn't ride it much if it were mine.  It may just be surface cracks but there's a reason it's doing it running over something or not and I'd replace it....quickly.... :2vrolijk_21:

I'm very anal when it comes to tires, by the way....you only have two on the bike and they better be in the best shape possible 'cause da don ryde 2 good with just one.... ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:43:11 PM by Haird »

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »

That doesn't look like damage from running over something as the cut line appears to be symmetrical on both edges.  Regardless I'd also be reluctant to ride it, at least at highway speed.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »

I think it has to do with how the tire is made. I would change it.
Bill

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »

How old and how many miles on the tire? I would say mfgr. defect. Take it to the dlr. and good luck. I would be suprised if they didn't find some way to wiggle out of replacing it. Can't wait to hear their excuses.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »

Thinking most are correct, although not sure about running over something.  This is on my wife's bike and she would've said something. If it was like a grate on the road then I'm think maybe the front tire might be damage also and I didn't noticed any damage. Leaning to it is a defect and tire  is coming apart.  Since its kinda same area on both sides.  Tire has about 7,500 miles on it and taking it back its kinda hard. I  buy our tires from a dealer on the net and have them install here by an independent bike shop, so might have to eat this one.  Thanks for all the comments and maybe do a once over on your tires. Btw, Dunlops and on 11' SESG, can't recall the specific part number right now, I know they're 18"s.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »

Looking at the pics Gabe, I don't think she ran over anything. It looks like a seam of some kind, maybe where the softer sides meet up with the harder center for the dual compound. Get a new one. If you bought both front and rear at the same time, I'd say consider replacing them both.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »

Looking at the pics Gabe, I don't think she ran over anything. It looks like a seam of some kind, maybe where the softer sides meet up with the harder center for the dual compound. Get a new one. If you bought both front and rear at the same time, I'd say consider replacing them both.
I think you’re right Mark. I’ve seen similar pics of multi compound tires separating on other motorcycle forums. One major brand was even recalled for such, can’t remember which though.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

Thinking most are correct, although not sure about running over something.  This is on my wife's bike and she would've said something. If it was like a grate on the road then I'm think maybe the front tire might be damage also and I didn't noticed any damage. Leaning to it is a defect and tire  is coming apart.  Since its kinda same area on both sides.  Tire has about 7,500 miles on it and taking it back its kinda hard. I  buy our tires from a dealer on the net and have them install here by an independent bike shop, so might have to eat this one.  Thanks for all the comments and maybe do a once over on your tires. Btw, Dunlops and on 11' SESG, can't recall the specific part number right now, I know they're 18"s.  Let's Roll

Those "cracks" are too straight and consistent to be from running over anything.  Considering where they are, I'm thinking it's a seam where the harder center tread compound mates to the softer compound on the sides, and it appears that seam is separating.  Manufacturing defect, no doubt in my mind.  If you still have the invoice from when you purchased the tire, it would be worth contacting Dunlop to see if they will stand behind the tire.  You shouldn't have to take it or send it back to where you bought it, the warranty (if it's still in force) is good at any Dunlop dealership.  If it's the Harley branded version, a Harley dealership should also handle it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »

I doubt I still have the receipt, lesson learned. Yes I'm think the way you guys are it looks to be in the Sean from out layers to center. Yes Mark, I'm replacing both front and back.  Front is actually worn down more, but does not show those cracks.  If this subject makes everyone take a peek at their tires a little closer than just to see how much head they have left, then it was worth the discussion.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 05:49:06 PM »

I had the exact same cracks develop on 3 tires in a row on my bike. I was lucky and had the tire and wheel insurance on mine. They replaced all 3. I have 30,000 miles since that happened and all is well. All that anyone could come up with is there was a separation between the two different compounds. I check mine regularly now but so far so good.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »

If you bought the tire on-line I bet you received email purchase confirmation and receipts. I would reach out the seller.  Clearly this is not correct and it can't be blamed on the installer either. 

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.