Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Cycle Riding Monikers  (Read 7322 times)

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
Cycle Riding Monikers
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:20:54 PM »

Just a curious question on some monikers that are tossed out at people who ride motorcycles.

Some people call us "Real Bikers." Some of the "Real Bikers" call us "RUBS" & "Wannabes" and the "Wannabes" call others "Posers"

Is a 1%er the only "Real Biker" riding motorcycles?

Did you have to be riding from the 50's to present to be a "Real Biker"

Does racing sanctioned & professional events play into the equation?

Was there "wannabes" riding back in the 60's & 70's?

So what is  "Motorcyclist?"

What are our members that make this site so great?

We all enjoy & love this sport of freedom. We all at times bitch about, but always defend the mighty Bar & Shield.

Some of us also own Sport Bikes, Off Road Bikes & Imported Bikes.

So who are you & why?

I for one am a Real Motorcyclist or so I feel. That is until someone calls me a Wannabe, RUB, Poser or Real Biker.

Thanks for your time & input,

Grover

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 08:51:30 AM by Grover »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Cycle Riding Monikers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »

i consider myself a real biker, i'll ride 2000+ miles to meet people so i can go riding with them
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »

Mark
        Once upon a time I was a wannabee. I wanted to own and ride a motorcycle. 40 years and what seems like 6 lifetimes later, I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt in every way possible to be considered a biker. At the end of the day, it's about riding, simply that. Everything else is secondary.

B B

Bagger

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 10:34:53 PM »

These days I call myself a Real Motorcyclist.........although I've been around the sport for over 30 years, and my Dad is/was a Real Biker, I do fit that mold as well.  Definitely not a Yuppie, nor a RUB...........cause I aint rich, I don't live in an urban environment, I'm a good looking guy :P, and I don't have a Really Ugly Bike.  Wannabe is not applicable.  I constantly strive to achieve technical expertise when I ride.  Hold a good line consistently, always practicing everything, thirsty for new knowledge.  Even after all these years, I'm still an avid student of this sport.  I love it, and I will never stop learning from it.  And then there are the people I meet.  My best friends ride bikes............and my oldest friends are motorcyclists.  Wouldn't change for the world.  I love this sport.  It is common for Renea and me to hop on the scoot an make a 700 mile round trip just to get some real cajun food in Nawlins.  Love to ride.  If I could only have one vehicle, it would be my Harley.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 10:38:40 PM »

Mark
        Once upon a time I was a wannabee. I wanted to own and ride a motorcycle. 40 years and what seems like 6 lifetimes later, I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt in every way possible to be considered a biker. At the end of the day, it's about riding, simply that. Everything else is secondary.

B B

Yeah, may not have travelled as much as others.  But have travelled enough to know I could care less what they call me; as long as they let me ride.  Hadn't really even thought to consider what others think about it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »

Real Bikers. Anyone that loves riding motorcycles. Period. RUB bikers, Yuppie bikers, 1% bikers, old bikers, new bikers, fat bikers, skinny bikers, motorcyclists, dirt rider bikers, sport bike bikers, etc.! As long as they love to ride 'em, they're bikers. Wannabes, sidewalk commandos, etc, is anyone who pretends to love riding motorcycles, just to be around something that's popular. Mark, why on Earth would you think you were referred to you as a wannabe? Everyone participating here is certainly a biker! It don't get much more passionate about it than this place. Well, that's my opinion of the definition of a biker. I'm damn proud to consider myself one, no matter what anyone else thinks about it! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 10:54:50 PM »

The whole "am I a biker" question I find amusing. It's one of those "if I have to broadcast my status then I'm probably not".

As far as Chip, I'm none of the above!

Nancy and I are riders!

We rode a lot today. The Classic, the Lowrider, The Frontier, the new TMCC Keystone I brought home yesterday.
At the end of the day we rode the scooters.
Two wheels and a motor and the wind in your face
From 50cc's to 1971cc's All we wanna do is to zoom, zoom, zoom!
Care to join in!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:01:04 PM »

..... the new TMCC Keystone I brought home yesterday.
You know you are going to get this....

:worthless: :worthless:

I can already guess what color it is. ;)

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 11:07:51 PM »

RED

I will go take a picture!

Remember,,, the red ones are fastest!

be right back

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 11:09:24 PM »

I don't care what I'm called...I'm a rider.  I love to throw my leg over the saddle and ride.  I don't care what you call yourself, as long as you love to ride your bike, I'll ride with you.  I'm none of the above.  :o I just love to ride. ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 11:24:08 PM »

here tis,

Brought it home with 7 miles on it, now has 170.

Just another bike.

Had to move the scooters to the other garage. They didn't like that :(.

Damn, never noticed how white the exhaust is on the Frontier!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

twincam

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 01:07:01 AM »

well lets see, my first bike was a HD Z90 I think I was around 7 or 8 then, then when I was 18 I bought a 72 electric glide,  since I have owned and rode hard pans ,shovels , evos, twincams , rode with clubs as a associate, but, have always been independent. have rumaged through bros old part boxes to get  on the road, hell, have rumaged just to get the bike started, little alone what we would call road worthy today. I do conceder myself a biker, been there   done that, but, I don't categories other people, to do that would be as bad as hollywood stereotyping bikers from the beginning, with movies like the wild ones, and look what that did for us!!!!!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 01:16:43 AM »

Chip,
         What the _ _ _ _  Come on brother, I'm sure there's one hell of a story behind this new bike so out with it

B B

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 04:32:19 AM »

I clicked wannabe.   :bananarock: :huepfenjump3:

I ride my motorcycle for fun and have a real good time sharing the experience with the love of my life, who rides his motorcycle for fun.  We got out for a few hundred miles in the sun yesterday and had a great time.  We have the pleasure of owning three motorcycles and when the weather is good, we put some miles down enjoying the state we live in at this time.  Always fun to find another road we have not seen or stop in at a restaurant new to us for refreshments.  What would someone else call me?  I guess I am simply a motorcycle enthusiast.  Almost obsessively, but then, it doesn't bother me and it doesn't bother my co-workers or my neighbors, so who cares?   :nixweiss:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »

The real question is are you a good person or a bad person who rides a motorcycle? I'd like to think that I'm respected for my values and actions and the friends I keep and that's good enough. And, I ride the chit out of my bike.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 08:03:28 AM »

I'm a wannabe. I hope that never changes.

I wannabe a better rider - so I practice.
I wannabe a courteous rider - so I don't terrorize my neighbors when riding through the 'hood.
I wannabe riding with friends - so I plan trips and get our group out for a ride.
I wannabe in Laconia this year - so we're going.
I wannabe back in Sturgis in '08 - so we're going.
I wannabe riding with my best friend in the world - so I take my wife along.
I wannabe be riding by next weekend - so I'm logging off and going downstairs to work on the bike.

There ain't nothing wrong with being a wannabe.

Chief

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 08:14:17 AM »

I wannabe a courteous rider - so I don't terrorize my neighbors when riding through the 'hood.
I wannabe riding with friends - so I plan trips and get our group out for a ride.
I wannabe be riding by next weekend - so I'm logging off and going downstairs to work on the bike.

Chief

Chief, you did not click the wannabe button, cause it only shows 1, and I clicked it, so that has to be my one.

But I like your list of wannabes.  So I wannabe just like you.   ;)

Bagger

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »

Chief

Hmmmm.  All that makes very good sense, Chief!  It is good to see you have plans to turn those "wannabes" into realities.  Way to go Bro!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 09:40:46 AM »

here tis,

Brought it home with 7 miles on it, now has 170.

Just another bike.

Had to move the scooters to the other garage. They didn't like that :(.

Damn, never noticed how white the exhaust is on the Frontier!

Chip,
Looks nice :2vrolijk_21:, but you know you are going to have to give us some better pictures then that. You need to start a new thread in the Pictures board and tell us all about it with pictures from all angles.

In regards to the Frontier exhaust being white must be that high octane fuel. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »

Well to answer this question Mark i will use an old friends saying. "I amsk what I amsk." ( Popeye for thoise who couldn't figure it out.) I love to ride and thats what i do, just like the rest of us.   So I won't click on anything. because it all depends from whose eyes and point of view you are perceived. Rubber side down.  later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 11:19:21 AM »

I agree with you BigDaddy1569,
I consider myself a motorcyclist but have referred to myself as a biker as a way of shorthand. I also like  thewannabe definition by Chief! :2vrolijk_21: And in many areas I fit his definition too.

Whether you call it a moniker or a "label" that idea comes from both sides. Folks who don't ride want to label us so they know what status to assign to us in their hierarchy of social status. Sometimes so they can feel better about themselves.
The other side of the issue is ourselves when we choose to assign labels to ourselves and other riders. We attach importance to the labels to help define ourselves and boost our self- esteem sometimes at the expense of other riders. We should think about the reasons why we want to downgrade other riders when we need to pull together to protect or right (or privilege -depending on politics) to ride.
As an example many have a negative image of a RUB, maybe due to the fact that they didn't have to scrimp and do without and have years of hardship to ride a Harley especially a CVO they just broke out a checkbook and rode away. Yes, some of them are riding because it's the latest fad but think about this. Those same rich folks vote and have political clout that could help the average rider. They also help dispel the myth of dangerous and crazy bikers to the non riding public.
I wish in general we could get away from negative labels and just ride with self confidence and enjoy life not at other's expense.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »

Maybe I just don't get it. If you love riding motorcycles, you're a biker. Otherwise you're not. Over-analyzing it politically won't change that. You're either a biker or you're not. Substitute biker with motorcyclist if you want , you're still a biker. If you're gonna call it something, we're all bikers here! Ain't no way anyone participating here isn't! Whether you like it or not, you're all bikers! Especially you, Chief! You're just an out-of-his-friggin-mind biker! Anyone with the dedication to his bike like you, is nothing less. So to me, the monikers above should only be two; biker, or not a biker. And on this site, you only need one of them! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Farmer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 12:01:33 PM »

I called myself a "motorcyclist". I've ridden everything from British (Norton & BSA) in the 60's to motocross (Yamaha) in the 70's and even a Honda Silver Wing for a few years.My first Harley (a Wide Glide) was my 50th birthday present to myself, followed shortly thereafter by the Screamin' Eagle Road Glide. One thing I love the most about riding is doing it well. Setting up and executing excellent curves, feeding the power on and feeling the bike just diggin' it is a major adrenalin rush. It doesn't have to be a 180 hp Ninja to have fun. In fact, going a little slower and better is often more enjoyable than double-lining in a turn. Perhaps that's part of getting old!

The thing I like the least is riding with a yuppy (like my bank manager) that wants to be a little bit bad so went a bought a Harley but can't ride it. This type of rider is dangerous to everyone around him. One guy I know tells me repeatedly that his Ultra just doesn't handle like my R.G. I suggested he try leaning it a little instead of fiddling with the stereo.

OK, so it's still snowing and I'm a bit grumpy today.

DB

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 12:09:59 PM »

I've got golf clubs, but some people don't think I'm a golfer.  When I do play golf, I keep score with a pencil without an eraser.  When I say that I shot a 98, you can count on the fact that I counted all the lost balls, out of bounds, and I didn't take any mulligans.  Do you just have to own clubs to be a golfer?  I guess that you could be a golf poser if you've got the shirt and shoes and just hang around the club house.  I really enjoy golf when I get a chance to enjoy it with friends.  It's a great way to spend four or five hours with folks who enjoy your company and they enjoy yours.

I've got a rod and reel too.  Am I a fisherman?  I love it when I've got the time to do it.  With the right company and the right spot on the water it can be a great way to spend time.

I'm not sure why the whole biker thing is different.  It seems that some folks enjoy bikes and some live the motorcycle lifestyle (whatever that is).  I guess that I've gotten old enough not to worry too much about what other people think.  I don't have to have someone else's approval to enjoy motorcycles, bikers, motorcycling, motorcycle racing, bike nights, long rides, short rides, rides alone, or rides with others.

I like to think that more riders and more folks with interest in motorcycles is a good thing for all of us that do ride.  When I ride, I give the rider's salute to touring bikes, cruisers, sport bikes, customs, and even the occasional mopeds.  I don't even wait to see what brand their on before I wave.  

I've been a rider since I was 15 years old.  I just took 30 years off - from about 15 to 45.  I just know that there isn't anything that I've done in life that I've enjoyed more than riding over the past four or five years.  I'm still trying to decide which category to check above.  Maybe there should be a "content with any of the above" category added.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »

Well, I just looked in my wallet and found my AMA - American Motorcyclist Association card, so I checked that I'm a Motorcyclist.  I guess that will do!  If you're interested, check out membership at http://www.ama-cycle.org.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 05:21:46 PM »

I've got golf clubs, but some people don't think I'm a golfer....When I say that I shot a 98, you can count on the fact that I counted all the lost balls, out of bounds, and I didn't take any mulligans....I really enjoy golf when I get a chance to enjoy it with friends.  It's a great way to spend four or five hours with folks who enjoy your company and they enjoy yours....

I tried golf once and enjoyed the experience. I learned a little lingo, although I didn’t get the mulligan right away. I did learn that when you hit the ball and it goes to the right, it’s a slice, when the ball goes left, it’s a hook, and when it goes straight, it’s a friggin miracle.

djkak

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »

I tried golf once and enjoyed the experience. I learned a little lingo, although I didn’t get the mulligan right away. I did learn that when you hit the ball and it goes to the right, it’s a slice, when the ball goes left, it’s a hook, and when it goes straight, it’s a friggin miracle.

djkak

What's it called when you swing and miss  :nixweiss: ?

(twolane is more attuned to golf courses where you hit the ball up a dinosaurs arse and down a windmill)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 06:12:42 PM »

I always thought those beautiful pieces of Real Estate that they call golf courses would be much better served as dirt tracks for motorcross! Uh Oh, Am I in trouble again? ;) Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 06:19:59 PM »

I always thought those beautiful pieces of Real Estate that they call golf courses would be much better served as dirt tracks for motorcross! Uh Oh, Am I in trouble again? ;) Hoist! 8)
I never could understand why they take so much care in maintaining the greens looking so nice why they didn't level them out before seeding them. :confused5: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »

Well, I didn't mean to change the subject, but I have seen rigs that would allow you to put your clubs on the back of a motorcycle.  If they'd just let the bikes ride the cart paths, biker/golfers would have it made.  You'd probably hear new complaints about loud pipes.  Tiger wouldn't stand for potato-potato-potato during his back swing.

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »

I got no clue about the life style and i do live in a urban environement but aint rich for sure.Still i voted for biker i ride my bike day and night, rain or snow.And i love doing it.Every now and than i catch myself with a smile just for being able to ride my bike.I love my bike and its the only item that i got attached so far.Heres a picture of me at it. :drink:
Ridin Legend

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2007, 08:52:24 PM »

I love it when we get one of these good philosophic discussions going.  It really gets me thinking, and here is what I am thinking...

I am a father, husband, friend, son & brother.  Anything after that really has no importance.  I have always assumed that no one cares about how I might classify myself or my interests, because I sure as hell don't care about how they label me.  I only care that the people who call me the aforementioned titles are able to do so with pride.

Finally, I used the term brother above, not only in the sense of a sibling, but also in the sense that I believe anyone for whom the words "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" are more than just another piece of chrome on their bike.  They are my brothers.  That is why I am so glad to have found this group.  I now have hundreds of new brothers (and sisters), and I can't wait for my first family reunion so I can meet all of you.

Call me whatever you like, just make sure I don't miss last call... :drink:

Ghost

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2007, 08:57:47 PM »

I love it when we get one of these good philosophic discussions going.  It really gets me thinking, and here is what I am thinking...

I am a father, husband, friend, son & brother.  Anything after that really has no importance.  I have always assumed that no one cares about how I might classify myself or my interests, because I sure as hell don't care about how they label me.  I only care that the people who call me the aforementioned titles are able to do so with pride.

Finally, I used the term brother above, not only in the sense of a sibling, but also in the sense that I believe anyone for whom the words "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" are more than just another piece of chrome on their bike.  They are my brothers.  That is why I am so glad to have found this group.  I now have hundreds of new brothers (and sisters), and I can't wait for my first family reunion so I can meet all of you.

Call me whatever you like, just make sure I don't miss last call... :drink:

Ghost

Well said. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_20: :2vrolijk_20:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »

Well said. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_20: :2vrolijk_20:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks Brother!!   :2vrolijk_21:

I have to be honset with you though.  This is the second time tonight you have responed to one of my posts in like 5 minutes.  I'm getting that "the calls are coming from inside the house" feeling.   :D

Later,
Ghost

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »

he does that to all of us

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »

he does that to all of us
shhhh, that's supposed be a secret. :huepfenlol2: I would've responded to this sooner, but I had to get a refill :drink:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2007, 09:34:44 PM »

Ooops, I almost missed your reply.  I had to "empty the tank." if you know what I mean.

Now, I'm ready for a refill.  Here's to d00d.   :drink:

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2007, 10:16:57 PM »

Ooops, I almost missed your reply.  I had to "empty the tank." if you know what I mean.

Now, I'm ready for a refill.  Here's to d00d.   :drink:

Ahhhhh.........yea, I know exactly what you mean.  :alcohol: :alcohol: Belch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive only been gone a minute, what I miss  :vrolijk_11:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:19:00 PM by EAGLE1 »
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2007, 10:36:23 PM »

(twolane is more attuned to golf courses where you hit the ball up a dinosaurs arse and down a windmill)
fkin windmill always hits mine back dammit!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »

fkin windmill always hits mine back dammit!

At least for you they don't hit it back at someone.  That gets embarassing.... :oops:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »

At least for you they don't hit it back at someone.  That gets embarassing.... :oops:

aint that the truth

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 09:41:45 AM »

I guess I am a Wannabe...

I Wannabe able to:

attack the Colorado Rockies like Bret...
effortlessly flow though the Smokies like Thommy...
ride at east half as fast as the HBRRs...
pop a wheelie at will like Mark...
have the chance to ride with every member of this site...
see as much of this country and beyond on two wheels as possible...and get the t-shirts to remember it!

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »

I guess I am a Wannabe...
I Wannabe able to:
attack the Colorado Rockies like Bret...
effortlessly flow though the Smokies like Thommy...
ride at east half as fast as the HBRRs...
pop a wheelie at will like Mark...
have the chance to ride with every member of this site...
see as much of this country and beyond on two wheels as possible...and get the t-shirts to remember it!
/Bill

Bill, that's a great response.

Never really thought about what kind of rider I am.  Ride when I can, wish I was riding when I'm not, plan to ride more.

Pretty much that's how I see it, I got the "riding DNA" at a young age, my parents would stick me between them on an old Triumph/Harley/Indian and off we'd go.  Long before anyone though of a freeway out here and most likely when there weren't may bikes on the road.

I know that my Dad always had guys around that he had ridden with since he was a kid and those were some of his best life long friends.  For me it is first and foremost about getting out there and riding and second riding with friends and meeting new ones.

It has been great to be here and count members of the site among my friends and I look forward to the opportunities to get out there with all of you in the future, but should we miss that chance you can bet I'll be out there looking to stumble upon you down the road.  So in the end love to ride and will as often as I can, I can only hope you get to ride as often as you can as well.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2007, 11:00:48 AM »

djkak

I believe the swing is called a stroke; not to be confused with the 4.375” stroke that those big ol’ pistons travel twice per revolution through the 4.060” bore. It may be a remarkable coincidence, but I think the last time that I played 9 holes, I shot a 113.

All of this golf talk has me in the mood to put my motorcycle back together; I’ll have to catch up with group later.

djkak

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2007, 11:41:28 AM »

All of this golf talk has me in the mood to put my motorcycle back together; I’ll have to catch up with group later.

djkak

There's a man with a proper sense of priority  :2vrolijk_21: .

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2007, 05:15:54 PM »

I've only been riding 3 years, I got into biking during a mid-life crisis.   I managed to swing a harley by telling the wife it's better than another woman.  Funny thing was, it worked.......
Soooo I reckon I'm probably a serious wanabee.  I don't believe a bike should be parked in the garage for 9 months so I get out and about when I can and have managed to clock up 20kmiles+

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2007, 11:58:25 PM »

I must be a motorcyclist...have been since age of 12 when I bought my first bike.....a Jawa 250.  Traded my go-cart in on it with some help from my Dad.  My dad and uncle rode motorcycles of various manufacture starting back in the late 20's.  My dad did some racing on a 1928 HD, but his all time favorite was an Indian Scout...don't remember the year though.  I guess I have an affliction/affection of the two-wheel syndrome since it has run in the family for so many years.  I've had many different motorcycles over the years...most of which were/are HD.  I think that labels aren't important...some people like to have 'em and some are offended by 'em.  Not everyone can afford the bikes we have whereas those that can afford 'em can't find the time to ride them as often as they would like.   The point is....everyone's story is different and a label ain't gonna make a whole lot of difference yesterday, today or tomorrow.  Me, I just like to ride.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2007, 01:55:14 AM »

I must be a motorcyclist...have been since age of 12 when I bought my first bike.....a Jawa 250.  Traded my go-cart in on it with some help from my Dad.  My dad and uncle rode motorcycles of various manufacture starting back in the late 20's.  My dad did some racing on a 1928 HD, but his all time favorite was an Indian Scout...don't remember the year though.  I guess I have an affliction/affection of the two-wheel syndrome since it has run in the family for so many years.  I've had many different motorcycles over the years...most of which were/are HD.  I think that labels aren't important...some people like to have 'em and some are offended by 'em.  Not everyone can afford the bikes we have whereas those that can afford 'em can't find the time to ride them as often as they would like.   The point is....everyone's story is different and a label ain't gonna make a whole lot of difference yesterday, today or tomorrow.  Me, I just like to ride.

Call it what you want, that last line says it all about all of us. And that's exactly what makes us all Bikers! And it don't get no better than that! ;) Hoist! 8)

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2007, 11:05:57 AM »

I have been ridin bikes for 25 years and really don't care what people say or think of me or of them. We all ride to have fun and thats the bottom line. Howie said it best. Were all bikers. As far as wannabe stuff. I just do it instead of wanting to :coolblue:

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2007, 07:31:57 PM »

Well, I guess I'm a Real Wannabe RUB Poser Motorcyclin' Biker - although after the purchase of the CUSE and all the "bling" you guys will help me buy, "Rich" ain't gonna fit ;).
It don't matter.  Like EZRIDN said so eloquently - "Me, I just like to ride."  My kinda "biker".
Tony

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2007, 08:40:49 PM »

OK, I've got to ask - what's a RUB?  (I actually know, but I'm just asking for those that might not have a clue.)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2007, 08:43:26 PM »

OK, I've got to ask - what's a RUB?  (I actually know, but I'm just asking for those that might not have a clue.)
Isn't that Rich "Uppity" Biker -  :huepfenlol2:
TC

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2007, 08:47:26 PM »

thought it was "Urban"

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2007, 08:50:19 PM »

thought it was "Urban"

That's the way I have always heard it.

djkak

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2007, 12:17:08 AM »

How about "Real Ugly Biker".... :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:18:46 AM by hd-dude »

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »

If thats the case we must have about 3000 of them here in this site lol :drink:
No offense to lady members tough.
Ridin Legend

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2007, 08:52:43 PM »

Call it what you want, that last line says it all about all of us. And that's exactly what makes us all Bikers! And it don't get no better than that! ;) Hoist! 8)

Well said Hoist!

Amen to that, Brother

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2007, 08:55:15 PM »

I've only been riding 3 years, I got into biking during a mid-life crisis.   I managed to swing a harley by telling the wife it's better than another woman.  Funny thing was, it worked.......
Soooo I reckon I'm probably a serious wanabee.  I don't believe a bike should be parked in the garage for 9 months so I get out and about when I can and have managed to clock up 20kmiles+

Nice one Smiler - that's the way to do it

Where are you at in UK?

Cheers from Hampshire

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

Tros

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2007, 10:20:52 PM »

Me, I just like to ride.

I resemble that remark.  :2vrolijk_21:

twincam

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2007, 11:08:54 PM »

and I resemble that remark!!!! :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

A lot of people that don't ride may stereotype me into one of those categories but that doesn't matter to me. I've been riding some type of motorcycle for over forty years. It's a part of me, and I would be at a lose with out it. I just consider myself a true motorcyclist. :2vrolijk_21:
WOODY

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2007, 11:37:19 AM »

Got my first Cushman when I was 12. Purchased my first new bike a Honda when I was 14. I was caught ridding on the street without a license soooo many times I nearly lost the chance to drive until I was 21.  :-\When I did get my licence at 16 the first thing I did was pass my motorcycle course and have had  my endorsement ever since. 36 years.  8) When I bought my first Harley, some people said I was in a mid life crises. When I bought my SERK I was called a RUB, and a yupply.    Being in the wind is 4th on my list of priorities.. 1.My God. 2.My Family. 3.My Job 4. Ridding.  (Number 3 and 4 can flip flop depending on how nice the weather is.) :P  It's a Heavenly day when I can ride, and I'm miserable when I can't. So you can call me a wanabe for all the reasons above. I wanabe ridding. :orange:

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2007, 10:21:33 PM »

I can remember buying that '72 Honda CL100 and the feeling of freedom that I got having a license and a motorized form of transportation.  I could go when and where I wanted and wasn't shackled by where I could pedal or walk (or be taken by my mom or dad).  I think that riding now is about that freedom, but now it's freedom from all the other stuff that life lays on the plate.  It's amazing how a 20 minute ride can seem like a vacation and create a real attitude adjustment. 

I associate with riders and they know the story (you don't have to explain it to them and they do understand).  Often when I describe riding to someone who doesn't, I get they feeling that they really wish they could.  They just let something hold them back - wife, kids, finances, too young, too old, too busy, fear, too big, too small, etc.  I think that a lot of non-riders are the wannabes.  They wanna be riders, but just don't do it. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 10:27:55 PM by PHAZE »
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 21 queries.