Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I'm Back after a Six year absence....  (Read 3815 times)

Hound Dawg

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

I'm Back after a Six year absence....
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:02:38 AM »

Hi CVO Peeps.....

The last time I was on here I was very excited about getting my FLHTCUSE7, and I loved that bike.   I just sold her.   Her name was Lucy.   I had the orange one.   

Now I'm planning to buy a 2018 (or '19) CVO Limited (assuming they make a Limited in 2019). 

My questions is:   What is the current thinking when it comes to immediate modifications when it comes to the M8?    When I was on here, I followed the general consensus and got a HD Super Tuner and Fullsac header pipes with slip on mufflers.    Is this same for the M8?    I thought I heard that the Super Tuners are no longer allowed etc..    Whats the scoop?   What pipes?   How do I tune for more air etc...

Thanx a ton in advance and excuse my absence,

HD
Riding since '82.  Harley's since '93
'94 Dyna Wide Glide
'97 Road King
'95 Softail Custom
'00 Road king
'03 Ultra
'07 Street Glide
'12 CVO Ultra
'18 Street Glide Special
'19 CVO Limited

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: I'm Back after a Six year absence....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »

World has changed. Make any of those aftermarket changes to the engine or exhaust from the past and you’ll void your factory warranty. Which you may very well need if you buy a 2018. Read up on “sumping” and SB1450. It applies to ALL 2017 and 2018 bikes with the Milwaukee 8 engine.

My recommendation: Wait for the 2019s. If you buy the 2019 install ONLY HD components on the engine, exhaust and drivetrain for the first 2 yrs (factory warranty).

You have alot of catching up to do.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »

World has changed. Make any of those aftermarket changes to the engine or exhaust from the past and you’ll void your factory warranty. Which you may very well need if you buy a 2018. Read up on “sumping” and SB1450. It applies to ALL 2017 and 2018 bikes with the Milwaukee 8 engine.

My recommendation: Wait for the 2019s. If you buy the 2019 install ONLY HD components on the engine, exhaust and drivetrain for the first 2 yrs (factory warranty).

You have alot of catching up to do.

x2.

If you have a note to excuse your absence,  you will not be marked as unexcused.   ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »

You have a lot of catching up to do.

My local dealer was more than willing to sell/install a catless header and claimed it would not void the warranty. Super Tune, changing ECM map, on the other hand, is strictly verboten. That same goes for non-HD parts in the motor, a strict no-no.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »

My local dealer was more than willing to sell/install a catless header and claimed it would not void the warranty. Super Tune, changing ECM map, on the other hand, is strictly verboten. That same goes for non-HD parts in the motor, a strict no-no.

Just remember, you were warned. There are tons of guys that have recently had their factory warranties voided for far less than using a non epa tuner. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:23:27 AM by Heatwave »

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »

Just remember, you were warned. There are tons if guys that have had their factory warranties voided for far less than using a non eoa tuner. Good luck.

:o :o :o

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:29:31 AM »

Simon, changing environmental control systems is specifically forbidden in the factory warranty language.  Cars, bikes, probably even unicycles.  Making changes there give company all the opportunity they might need to deny warranty and opens the dealership and the company up to significant penalty from the Federal and some state governments.  That the dealer does it and says it doesn't mean it's not a worry if a parsimonious factory rep is in the wrong place at the right time or you need help at some other dealership someday.

mark

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 11:51:37 AM »

Simon, changing environmental control systems is specifically forbidden in the factory warranty language.  Cars, bikes, probably even unicycles.  Making changes there give company all the opportunity they might need to deny warranty and opens the dealership and the company up to significant penalty from the Federal and some state governments.  That the dealer does it and says it doesn't mean it's not a worry if a parsimonious factory rep is in the wrong place at the right time or you need help at some other dealership someday.
Not only that, the employee who made this statement will have convenient memory loss if this becomes an issue...or he/she will have moved on and not even work there any longer.  See how fast this causes a retreat - ask the dealership employee who promised this to send you that by email and please cc the owner or general mgr.   

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »

Personally I would wait for the '19s to come out and if no improvements have been made buy a used 17 or 18 and use the savings to make improvements. Or buy another brand. If we keep buying mocos chitty product it will never get better.. If you loved your old bike you will probably regret ever selling it. But hey, good luck with your purchase .
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »

Don't forget to checkout the threads from many of us who love our M8 cvo's and have put thousands of trouble free miles on them. Just saying!
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Hound Dawg

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »

Thanks y'all.   I believe the going conclusion is a '19 CVO (hopefully some version of orange, or at least a bright color) and leave it completely stock.

More to come...

HD
Riding since '82.  Harley's since '93
'94 Dyna Wide Glide
'97 Road King
'95 Softail Custom
'00 Road king
'03 Ultra
'07 Street Glide
'12 CVO Ultra
'18 Street Glide Special
'19 CVO Limited

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:44:13 PM »

Don't forget to checkout the threads from many of us who love our M8 cvo's and have put thousands of trouble free miles on them. Just saying!

Well said! Wecome Back to the fold Dawg!!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 06:45:36 AM »

Thanks y'all.   I believe the going conclusion is a '19 CVO (hopefully some version of orange, or at least a bright color) and leave it completely stock.

More to come...

HD

Good plan! Welcome back.

Bumpandrun

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »

Be very blunt with your dealer when you buy about mods.....you will have no warranty issues . If he says anything about voided warranty  .....walk out the door .  Like was said lots of use out her that have had 0 problems that your not going to hear about .....mostly because we don't sit in front of a puter 24/7   We actually ride these things 10s of thousands of miles 😂  There are 10-20 of anything out there that screw up.  I have seen 3 Silverado pickup in the last few weeks get new motors.  Brand new Mercedes C class that motor has to come almost out to fix a oil vent problem( lots of them mine one of them). Mini Cooper 17s 2 bad motors in my area.  Indians with 2 locked up transmission.  It's happens in everything.....  1 year old petebilt going back this morning for a new frame rail.....it cost a bit more than 43k bike.    Go enjoy a new one    Best bet? Go talk to guys that actually own and ride them face to face.....your only gonna get the ugly here.  Sorry I don't use spell check......  Can't read it. Skip over.🍻

Bumpandrun

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »

Almost all dealers will work with you .....it's the unknowing or internet loud mouths they will not work with. Lets face it removing cats is a no no in every state on a motor vehicle with a lic plate. If it's plated you as a dealer by law are not supposed to touch it if you know.😂🙈. No different than all us repair shops.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 21 queries.