Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Homemade cooling system  (Read 3998 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Homemade cooling system
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »

I've been working on these homemade love jugs for a while. While I'm waiting for a new regulator rectifier I've got them finished off and installed.
The fans run at 14,600 rpm ( no it's not a misprint) quick little suckers.

I haven't tried them yet but hopefully they'll help keep the temp down. The last time i was out (the day the regular rectifier  faild)the oil temp gauge i installed got up to 120c was a hot one.

So these may help
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:22:42 PM by longlast »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Homemade cooling system
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »

Looks good almost can't tell they are there.
Bill

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 10:40:12 AM »

I've been working on these homemade love jugs for a while. While I'm waiting for a new regulator rectifier I've got them finished off and installed.
The fans run at 47,600 rpm ( no it's not a misprint) quick little suckers.

I haven't tried them yet but hopefully they'll help keep the temp down. The last time i was out (the day the regular rectifier  faild)the oil temp gauge i installed got up to 120c was a hot one.

So these may help
Cool !   Har!  Spyder

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »

Looks good almost can't tell they are there.

Using the old Willie G. philosophy, if you don't want it noticed, paint it black.

Looks good, Pete

Hope they work out for ya...

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »

Thanks guys,
 I made them from a sheet of stainless steel and spent some time polishing the stainless.  After putting them on "before wiring "sssh don't tell anyone,  but you could see the odd imperfection (the little  buckle spots from the tack welds)
the polished stainless made them to noticeable to me my mate didn't think so but it bugged me.
Still don't mind them gloss blacked out.
Just hope they do the job.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »

Nice work :2vrolijk_21:

imoo6170

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
    • CVO2: 2021 FXLRS
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:21:40 PM »

They look great - well done.

Don't stand out like other ones I have seen

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 02:16:10 AM »

Fans look very good.  Better than others I have seen.  You could market those.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »

They do look good. Do they move a lot of air (volume) across the heads? 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »

They do look good. Do they move a lot of air (volume) across the heads?

:2vrolijk_21: 

Bike is tied up at the moment waiting on another part. I can't run the motor to test them out as yet. The hole thing may not work :nixweiss:

???,......they blow fairly well the air is blowing out the other side not too bad. Don't know the CFM  rate  I went by the 14,600 rpm  for the size of fan I wanted highest rpm I could find in a mini fan.

I'll be up and running next week.  Then I'll  see if they stay or go,....mind you these are the prototype.

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »

I put a LaNale fan and wards fans together, put the heat sensor in between the fins, both fans kick-on at the same time.
Works for me. One thing the LaNale fan did was after a while the vibration broke the wires, so I used epoxy to seal the wiring system. No issues.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:48:47 PM by davidw221 »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »

Great job they look fantastic hope they help. I’ve been toying with doing a fan to try to pull the warm air off the rear jug on my Tri Glide and vent it out under the box towards the ground. Harley makes one but only for newer models.  Can’t wait to hear how they work.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 02:57:15 AM »

The new part finally arrived the other day, so I'm back up and running.
Was out yesterday it was a hot day the oil temperature got up to 120°c about 250°F  I was in slow  stop and go traffic.
It's the first time I've got to try the fans out. After turning them on it didn't take to long for the temperature to start falling off it fell to around 100°c that's a drop of about 70 degrees °F and my oil pressure went up 5psi.
At the moment I got them on a manual fused switch to the battery I didn't want to wire them  through the ignition switch until I knew how they worked it looks like they maybe keepers.  Temps are a rough figure.

Downside!

I couldn't help but notice  that when the fans are on my inner right thigh of my leg gets a lot hotter when I'm at a stop and my foots down. The fans are blowing the heat on to the inside of my leg.  It's not very comfortable.  :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:10:51 AM by longlast »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »

I always wondered if that would happen if I ran a fan.  my leg gets hot enough just sitting there so I thought maybe as long as the air was moving it may actually be better.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 07:01:31 PM »

I always wondered if that would happen if I ran a fan.  my leg gets hot enough just sitting there so I thought maybe as long as the air was moving it may actually be better.

Funny enough I hadn't really thought about it.  But you're right my leg would feel quite worm just from the heat being radiated off the fins.
Now the fans are blowing/moving that radiated heat across  and off the fins onto  where your leg is,  it is noticeably hotter where I was going  ooh aw  ooh that's getting hot   I don't know how long I'd put up with this. I found by putting  my foot on the footboard that helped it moved my leg away from the fins.
 Like I said it's a downside but the upside is knowing the motor isn't getting so hot in stop n go traffic  and the oil pressure is slightly higher on idle.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 08:51:01 AM »

I have to do the same thing. For me it's more to get my leg away from the exhaust bend that sticks out from the rear cylinder of the Zilla. The newer style doesn't have that issue as it runs straight down more like stock. Longer leg fellows don't have this issue. Sorry don't have a pic as that would explain better.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 09:11:20 AM »

Funny enough I hadn't really thought about it.  But you're right my leg would feel quite worm just from the heat being radiated off the fins.
Now the fans are blowing/moving that radiated heat across  and off the fins onto  where your leg is,  it is noticeably hotter where I was going  ooh aw  ooh that's getting hot   I don't know how long I'd put up with this. I found by putting  my foot on the footboard that helped it moved my leg away from the fins.
 Like I said it's a downside but the upside is knowing the motor isn't getting so hot in stop n go traffic  and the oil pressure is slightly higher on idle.

I lifted the front of my tank 1.5 inches that seems to get a little more air flow over the motor plus I spread the drivers floorboards by 3/4 inch per side. Both seemed to help somewhat.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:18:11 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 21 queries.