Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TTS Question with Check engine lights  (Read 1833 times)

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
TTS Question with Check engine lights
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »

Does the TTS effect the HD on board diagnostics? I just went up Pikes peak and got check engine light and temp light. Bike appeared to being running fine. I went to local HD dealer in Colorado Springs  and he said the altitude can confuse the ECM. He used the toggle on the handle bars and got 3 codes on ECM, BCM, and TCM I think? They cleared them. The lights stayed off for 350 miles. Check engine light and temp light is now back on. The onboard diagnostics is showing ECM code P1019. If I clear the lights will stay off for a while and then reappear. Wondering if this problem is connected and what the P1019 code is? Local dealer can't look at it till later in the week and said they won't touch the TTS?

I have called, emailed, and posted under the TTS vendor topic with zero replies from TTS.

2015 FLTRUSE wet head 110.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: TTS Question with Check engine lights
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »

Does the TTS effect the HD on board diagnostics? I just went up Pikes peak and got check engine light and temp light. Bike appeared to being running fine. I went to local HD dealer in Colorado Springs  and he said the altitude can confuse the ECM. He used the toggle on the handle bars and got 3 codes on ECM, BCM, and TCM I think? They cleared them. The lights stayed off for 350 miles. Check engine light and temp light is now back on. The onboard diagnostics is showing ECM code P1019. If I clear the lights will stay off for a while and then reappear. Wondering if this problem is connected and what the P1019 code is? Local dealer can't look at it till later in the week and said they won't touch the TTS?

I have called, emailed, and posted under the TTS vendor topic with zero replies from TTS.

2015 FLTRUSE wet head 110.

That code involves the coolant temperature sensor, and it has been a fairly common issue.  Another issue has been the actual coolant pump.  It's not related to your TTS tune.  I have no idea why that dealership just cleared the codes without doing any diagnostics and repair, but they aren't the only incompetents out there.  If all you wanted to do was turn off the check engine light, you could have done that yourself using nothing more than the built in features of the bike.  But as you noticed, just clearing codes to turn off the check engine light is not a fix.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »

That code involves the coolant temperature sensor, and it has been a fairly common issue.  Another issue has been the actual coolant pump.  It's not related to your TTS tune.  I have no idea why that dealership just cleared the codes without doing any diagnostics and repair, but they aren't the only incompetents out there.  If all you wanted to do was turn off the check engine light, you could have done that yourself using nothing more than the built in features of the bike.  But as you noticed, just clearing codes to turn off the check engine light is not a fix.

Jerry

Because that was easier than actually doing anything with it.  The rider wasn't local.  They'd never see him again. 

No Mikey, if you could breathe at that altitude the system electronics can manage it.  They just blew you off.

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »

Thanks Jerry & Don. My buddy and I have identical 15 RGUSE and he started getting the same codes in Dodge city, KS on the way back. He has almost 12K and I have 15K. The bikes never boiled over so we rode them home.  He left his bike at Route 66 HD in Tulsa.  They just called and are quoting new thermostat, water pump $700.00 new XM antenna  has hard code?$200 We don't subscribe to XM why replace antenna? 10K check up $304. Tires cupped- tire special - 20% with $50 mounting $720 plus tax everything just over $2K! What a deal about $6.00 a mile additional costs if we don't count the battery & Voltage regulator on last years trip to Maggie Valley. The bike was two weeks past warranty and they said they wouldn't bend because of the TTS install. At least Route 66 never mentioned the TTS.
I am going to do some trouble shooting of my own on my bike. Starting with the relays and then on to cooling system.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »

Good luck Mikey.  For what it's worth I just reviewed the entire service history on all of my old bikes.  Not a single thermostat, water pump or water leak failure among them  :P .

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 03:40:24 PM »

Thanks Jerry & Don. My buddy and I have identical 15 RGUSE and he started getting the same codes in Dodge city, KS on the way back. He has almost 12K and I have 15K. The bikes never boiled over so we rode them home.  He left his bike at Route 66 HD in Tulsa.  They just called and are quoting new thermostat, water pump $700.00 new XM antenna  has hard code?$200 We don't subscribe to XM why replace antenna? 10K check up $304. Tires cupped- tire special - 20% with $50 mounting $720 plus tax everything just over $2K! What a deal about $6.00 a mile additional costs if we don't count the battery & Voltage regulator on last years trip to Maggie Valley. The bike was two weeks past warranty and they said they wouldn't bend because of the TTS install. At least Route 66 never mentioned the TTS.
I am going to do some trouble shooting of my own on my bike. Starting with the relays and then on to cooling system.

The service manager at 66 is a pretty knowledgeable guy. He run his own shop for years and 66 hired him to take over when they bought their dyno. The only wrench I know therenis Landon and he has been good to worknwith in the past
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »

The service manager at 66 is a pretty knowledgeable guy. He run his own shop for years and 66 hired him to take over when they bought their dyno. The only wrench I know therenis Landon and he has been good to worknwith in the past

Yep I know Richard I used to go to Twister City on the dyno nights! He can make some serious power and built some beautiful bikes. I am sure they can fix it but a little shocked on prices.

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 05:20:39 PM »

Good luck Mikey.  For what it's worth I just reviewed the entire service history on all of my old bikes.  Not a single thermostat, water pump or water leak failure among them  :P .
Ha! I still have my 03 - 103 and I have never had to find a dealer on a trip. Now I have to plan trips staying close to dealers. Glad the GPS has the dealer locations!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »

Ha! I still have my 03 - 103 and I have never had to find a dealer on a trip. Now I have to plan trips staying close to dealers. Glad the GPS has the dealer locations!

You're not the only rider I've heard say something similar when road tripping with newer bikes Mikey.  It's enough to make a guy feel all butt hurt sometimes.  I can't say I've never had a bike crap out on the road.  Hope I don't jinx anything here but can say have never had one crap out so badly that it required someone else's assistance to get it going.  God, I'm so screwed now.

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »

Two weeks out of warranty absolutely sucks.

Probably doesn't make it hurt any less but your math is a little off, it's a little under 17 cents a mile ($2,000/12,000miles) if I understand correctly

Mikey

• Senior CVO Member

• Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 11:24:55 PM »

Two weeks out of warranty absolutely sucks.

Probably doesn't make it hurt any less but your math is a little off, it's a little under 17 cents a mile ($2,000/12,000miles) if I understand correctly
You are correct, I had some fuzzy math!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »

Yep I know Richard I used to go to Twister City on the dyno nights! He can make some serious power and built some beautiful bikes. I am sure they can fix it but a little shocked on prices.

Just noticed your location being in Tulsa...lol. He did build some nice machines when he had Twister City. I do have to agree with you about the price, it has gotten crazy.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.