Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Help w/ throttle body and cams 110 to 117  (Read 12585 times)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Help w/ throttle body and cams 110 to 117
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »

#1  no and no. on a stock drop in 117 kit from the moco, you will lose TQ and HP by retaining the 50 mm T body, especially if you have the CVO or MVA heads.
#2  use 2 into 1 headers. Mufflers suck.
#3  see #2
#4  forget the crank we do tons of the 117s and 110s with 120 to over 135 HP. with no issues on stone stock cranks. Hard downshifting cause more crank problems than HP. Get on the S&S website and watch the crank video before listening to me or any one else. TC uses SB Chevy lifters, we use Hylift- Johnson slow bleed down type, google theirwebsite for part #. Any auto parts store can sell them to you  for half of what the indies charge for the same, marked up, reboxed car lifters.
 Do the heads with big valves and some porting. Keep in mind that there are several sources that will sell MVA heads for about $1000 or so.  Don't pay anything near that for headwork that won't produce HP and TQ as well as the MVA heads. We port heads all of the time, but prefer to sell the MVAs as they are a great bang for the buck. 
Boy am I gonna hear about this! But bang for the buck is how I have run my business for over 40 years with no advertising and we are booking labor slots 3 to 5 months out.
So are you saying don't even check the pinion runout? Just do the upgrades.

MCE

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 09:15:45 PM »

So are you saying don't even check the pinion runout? Just do the upgrades.

That's a dumb idea. Check everything, (twice).

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »

I was told by R&R cycle and Suburban Speed not to worry about my stock crank. I was going to do what you are and pass on the heads, I ended up changing my mind and had it all done at once. Suburban speed offers a 117 drop in kit with 10.7 to 1 compression pistons and a tman 590 cam in place of the kit cam and pistons plus there head work with a bigger intake valve for not a lot more money then the HD 117 kit. I paired this set up with a Bassani Road Rage B4 and had the best tuner in New England tune it and I could not be happier! It pulls like a freight train from 2500 RPM to 6000 RPM increasing horsepower all the way with an almost flat TQ curve. Peak TQ is around 3500 RPM but 2500 RPM is only about 6LBS lower and peak HP is at 6000RPM. It’s a great TQ HP combo. With the 2 into 1 into 2 pipe it was pesky, the 2 into 1 perfected the power spread:)

TIMINATOR

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 09:40:10 PM »

My opinions are strictly that, my opinions. We apparently haven't been seeing anywhere near the crank issues that other shops have, that's why I didn't see the problem with the HP level you seek. Feel free to follow mine or any other recommendations that you are comfortable with. Some smart guy a long time ago said: A camel is a horse designed by a committee."  No offense meant to others with differing opinions. TIMINATOR

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 09:45:25 PM »

Tim
What do you call a crank problem? Many have >.006 runout, albeit may not get worse. The cam plate bushing will wear, and there are some oil pumps that won't take the hit either. I am not a crank salesman but just stating what I have observed since HD went to the cold forged cranks with maximum allowable runout of .012". Eyeballs go to runout but the rods pinch too.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:22:29 PM by HD Street Performance »

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »

I was told by R&R cycle and Suburban Speed not to worry about my stock crank. I was going to do what you are and pass on the heads, I ended up changing my mind and had it all done at once. Suburban speed offers a 117 drop in kit with 10.7 to 1 compression pistons and a tman 590 cam in place of the kit cam and pistons plus there head work with a bigger intake valve for not a lot more money then the HD 117 kit. I paired this set up with a Bassani Road Rage B4 and had the best tuner in New England tune it and I could not be happier! It pulls like a freight train from 2500 RPM to 6000 RPM increasing horsepower all the way with an almost flat TQ curve. Peak TQ is around 3500 RPM but 2500 RPM is only about 6LBS lower and peak HP is at 6000RPM. It’s a great TQ HP combo. With the 2 into 1 into 2 pipe it was pesky, the 2 into 1 perfected the power spread:)
what are these numbers you speak about... is there a dyno sheet we can look at, thnx
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »

I agree. I was replying to OP sounded like dealer said no worries just upgrade. :nixweiss: Ihve an 07 and had mine checked way back then when the pinion runouts were all over the board and Moco raised the from 3k which is in my shop manual to 12k after replacing many motors. I wish you could have it checked before you even purchase the bike. LOL right.

MCE

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »

That's one of the reasons I bought an older model with the Timken bearing crank. (I wanted a non FI model too). 

Bored to 95ci, KB Dome pistons, Ported 1.95 heads. I'm machining them for compression releases as I write this.
DME590G cams D&D FC and a 45 Mikuni.

(Finally got caught up with customer work, now it's my turn ;)
Break it in on the dyno once I get everything put on and maybe I'll even start riding a little.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:23:36 PM by MCE Performance »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 03:23:37 PM »

My guess, 112hp

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 06:16:24 PM »

i second that

PAhunter

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 06:58:02 PM »

They will check my crank, they checked one the other day .0002, i can only hope.. I've decided on the 117 HD kit. Of course one could always wish more for himself, there is always another day. From previous research on here many are happy w the kit and many are happy w advice from the Pro's on here. Which brings me to my next thought, I saw a few up'd the compression on their's and changed the cams different from the OE kit. The ease of being confussed is frustrating indeed.. I still would like to stay w V&H TrueDuels, Rinehart Mufflers (they could go).

~ What I want is 125lbs torque!

~ Can I get that w TrueDuels?
~ If I polish the ports of the heads, is that even worth it?
~ Different Cam??
~ Change Base gasket??

~ Keep as is, I should see 125lbs torque!

Thanks Hunter

MCE

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 07:00:55 PM »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 07:49:20 PM »

They will check my crank, they checked one the other day .0002, i can only hope.. I've decided on the 117 HD kit. Of course one could always wish more for himself, there is always another day. From previous research on here many are happy w the kit and many are happy w advice from the Pro's on here. Which brings me to my next thought, I saw a few up'd the compression on their's and changed the cams different from the OE kit. The ease of being confussed is frustrating indeed.. I still would like to stay w V&H TrueDuels, Rinehart Mufflers (they could go).

~ What I want is 125lbs torque! OK

~ Can I get that w TrueDuels? Maybe but your chances are reduced compared to a 2-1-2 or 2 into 1
~ If I polish the ports of the heads, is that even worth it?  NO, leave them alone or take them to a professional.
~ Different Cam??  I don't know
~ Change Base gasket??  I don't know

~ Keep as is, I should see 125lbs torque! I don't know what it is? The harley kits lack compression and the pistons are way down typically

Thanks Hunter

MCE

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »

125 TQ?- Easy. The question is; will it be a narrow little peak, or will it be wide and flat?

Polishing ports went out of style with hula-hoops, and will do more harm than good believe it
or not. it looks cool though. (I don't polish anything on the inside)

I don't think I've ever seen a stock crank with 2 ten-thousandths r/o. (2 thousandths maybe).

PAhunter

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 09:36:54 PM »

125 TQ?- Easy. The question is; will it be a narrow little peak, or will it be wide and flat?

Polishing ports went out of style with hula-hoops, and will do more harm than good believe it
or not. it looks cool though. (I don't polish anything on the inside)

I don't think I've ever seen a stock crank with 2 ten-thousandths r/o. (2 thousandths maybe).

Oop haha .002

Thanks for all the responses :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.