Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: CARB releases 3 2019 CVOs today  (Read 8033 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: CARB releases 3 2019 CVOs today
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »

I agree it's a good theory, but actually they already had to do the EPA and CARB certifications not only for that exhaust system but also for the Stage II, Stage III, and Stage IV kits.  This time the new listing at least makes it appear that whatever the Stage I is, it will be a factory installed option and not just a dealer installed kit.  It's surprising to me since in the past they always tied the  performance stuff to the dealers.  I assume a lot of dealers will be upset if Harley starts doing the upgrades at the factory level,; they've made fortunes over the years selling and installing all that stuff.

Jerry

But the hi-flow exhaust was never a REQUIRED component of any of the Stage kits. It was however advertised as "50 state US EPA compliant" but only when used with the SE Tuner. I'm guessing they didn't move as many of these exhaust as they had forecasted due to the $1300 MSRP plus the requirement of purchasing the SE Tuner for $300 plus the labor on the exhaust install and flash.

Someone in HD marketing probably said "we need to move all these high-flow exhausts out of inventory that we haven't been able to sell, so let's clear them out on a bike straight from the factory". Who best to nick???.... CVO bike buyers. "Oh wait, we forgot that we need to get the whole package EPA approved!!!" Waalaa....the new "stage 1" ends up on the CARB certification sheet for 2019. That's my wild-azz guess.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:45:54 PM by Heatwave »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »

Noticed Stage 1 is an option on a lot of the non CVO bikes also.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »

Noticed Stage 1 is an option on a lot of the non CVO bikes also.

Good catch. I just checked and every single model of Harley being sold for 2019 has a "Stage 1" version. Including Trikes, Softails, Touring even the basic "Street 500 & 750" bikes. This might be a bigger development then just exhaust and tuner. Maybe this is a wide-band O2 sensor ECU that can "self-tune" for any upgrades to the engine and still remain EPA compliant?? Could this be a "dyno killer" self-tuning ECU???

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »

Good catch. I just checked and every single model of Harley being sold for 2019 has a "Stage 1" version. Including Trikes, Softails, Touring even the basic "Street 500 & 750" bikes. This might be a bigger development then just exhaust and tuner. Maybe this is a wide-band O2 sensor ECU that can "self-tune" for any upgrades to the engine and still remain EPA compliant?? Could this be a "dyno killer" self-tuning ECU???

No idea, it could reflect a change in CARB requirements.  Currently anything beyond HD tuners - mild modifications - is allowed to be warranty compliant.  If it self tunes that would be very, very different for HD.  Doubt it.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 04:14:29 PM »

No idea, it could reflect a change in CARB requirements.  Currently anything beyond HD tuners - mild modifications - is allowed to be warranty compliant.  If it self tunes that would be very, very different for HD.  Doubt it.

Any thoughts on what you think a “Stage 1” means that could be offered on EVERY SINGLE MODEL OF HD as a new option from the factory??

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »

Any thoughts on what you think a “Stage 1” means that could be offered on EVERY SINGLE MODEL OF HD as a new option from the factory??

Yeah, what most think, if I pondered it enough.  Stage 1 air cleaner, pipes, and a tune to match.  And a cool sticker - "Stage 1".  Might be wrong on the sticker part, might be an extra logo on the motor somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:45:30 AM by iski »

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 07:11:01 AM »

I think HD just wants to ensure complience  after the dealerships install stage 1 kits. They din t want another issue like they had with race tuners.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 11:35:21 AM »

Not that my thoughts are worth much but...

I think Harley will sell the bikes from the factory with Stage I,II, III, and IV already installed. That way they are insuring that the bikes are EPA compliant when they leave the plant. It will allow them to be able to enforce the warranty much stricter. And performance enhancements beyond those 4 upgrades would render the engines out of compliance of EPA standards and allow the MOCO to disavow the warranty.

My hometown Harley dealer I buy from had to sent theiir techs to a 2+ day class taught by Corporate HD on how to find ways to void or cancel warranties. HD is posturing themselves to eliminate alot of money they shell out on questionable waranty claims. And they can use the EPA settlement as a tool to define the grounds for warranty denial.

I am not condoning it, but that is the direction I see this going and will save the MoCo money because they can void your warranty if you have done anything to your bike beyond cosmetics. They can say that your modifications caused a component failure even though we know it to a design flaw.

Some parts of what I have shared or maybe all of it, or probably none of it, might be the case.

Used twin cam bike values might be going up. It would certainly drive the values of any used bike up that have no remaining factory warranty left. Then the extended warranty covers you and your torque/hp desires to go wild.

Just thinking about this makes me miss my 2015.....
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »

Not that my thoughts are worth much but...

I think Harley will sell the bikes from the factory with Stage I,II, III, and IV already installed. That way they are insuring that the bikes are EPA compliant when they leave the plant. It will allow them to be able to enforce the warranty much stricter. And performance enhancements beyond those 4 upgrades would render the engines out of compliance of EPA standards and allow the MOCO to disavow the warranty.

My hometown Harley dealer I buy from had to sent theiir techs to a 2+ day class taught by Corporate HD on how to find ways to void or cancel warranties. HD is posturing themselves to eliminate alot of money they shell out on questionable waranty claims. And they can use the EPA settlement as a tool to define the grounds for warranty denial.

I am not condoning it, but that is the direction I see this going and will save the MoCo money because they can void your warranty if you have done anything to your bike beyond cosmetics. They can say that your modifications caused a component failure even though we know it to a design flaw.

Some parts of what I have shared or maybe all of it, or probably none of it, might be the case.

Used twin cam bike values might be going up. It would certainly drive the values of any used bike up that have no remaining factory warranty left. Then the extended warranty covers you and your torque/hp desires to go wild.

Just thinking about this makes me miss my 2015.....

I only wish your prediction was accurate. It would save HD bike owners that like to upgrade ALOT of money. Just think of all the wasted cylinders,pistons, throttlebodies, heads, pushrods, injectors, air cleaners and exhaust sitting around wasting away in bike owner's garages and basements. Its insane and an enormous waste of components not to mention trash.

But I'm afraid to say its just not gonna happen. Too much money at stake to let bike owners buy their bikes already upgraded from the factory. Over 700 HD dealers would be left with nothing but bike and apparel sales plus tire and oil changes to live off of. They would revolt if they lost the significant service income of charging for the installation of the SE Performance kits.

But trust me...I would be ecstatic if your prediction came to be!!

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »

I only wish your prediction was accurate. It would save HD bike owners that like to upgrade ALOT of money. Just think of all the wasted cylinders,pistons, throttlebodies, heads, pushrods, injectors, air cleaners and exhaust sitting around wasting away in bike owner's garages and basements. Its insane and an enormous waste of components not to mention trash.

But I'm afraid to say its just not gonna happen. Too much money at stake to let bike owners buy their bikes already upgraded from the factory. Over 700 HD dealers would be left with nothing but bike and apparel sales plus tire and oil changes to live off of. They would revolt if they lost the significant service income of charging for the installation of the SE Performance kits.

But trust me...I would be ecstatic if your prediction came to be!!

Well said

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 12:27:50 AM »

:pepper:does anyone see a 2019 cvo road glide ultra???

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 06:58:17 AM »

Nope. And from the way the 2016s sat on dealer floors for a very long time, I don't expect to see them again any time soon.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 08:13:56 AM »

Unfortunately No. I would have been a buyer for sure. Looks like only 3 CVOs. Limited, RG and SG.

ultrarider123

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 08:34:28 AM »

Nope. And from the way the 2016s sat on dealer floors for a very long time, I don't expect to see them again any time soon.

The '16's suffered from the "M8 effect" with the anticipation and arrival of the new power plant in 2017 plus there weren't that many new changes from the '15's to the '16s except for some color choices.  The '15 SERGU did decent but that was because there was no '14 Road Glides and the '15 brought quite a few changes.  I'm betting we see another Road Glide Ultra in CVO colors if not in '19, maybe '20.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 05:32:26 PM »

The '16's suffered from the "M8 effect" with the anticipation and arrival of the new power plant in 2017 plus there weren't that many new changes from the '15's to the '16s except for some color choices.  The '15 SERGU did decent but that was because there was no '14 Road Glides and the '15 brought quite a few changes.  I'm betting we see another Road Glide Ultra in CVO colors if not in '19, maybe '20.
May have to keep mine another year then. Really gonna suck with the fact that a new RGU has a bigger and more advance engine than my 4 year old CVO.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 22 queries.