Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: K&N HD-1508  (Read 3111 times)

Archer069

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

K&N HD-1508
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:44:18 PM »

New to the forum and I have a simple question with ref to air filters.  I have a 2008 CVO FLHTCUSE3 with the stock HD air filter. Looking at replacing the stock air filter with a K&N HD-1508.  It seems to be a "plug and play" filter with with no change in the backing plate or any other hardware.
1. Does the ECM need to be flashed with the change to a high volume air filter
2. Will there be oil blow-by with a drop in vacuum pressure because of more air entering the throttle body.

Thanks everyone
Mike

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: K&N HD-1508
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »

1.  If you still have the stock head pipe and mufflers, you won't need a new fuel map just from the new filter...b/c with the stock exhaust system, the new filter won't allow any extra flow (even if it is a hi-flow filter).  OTOH, If you have an aftermarket exhaust, it definitely needs a new fuel map (should have had one as soon as the exhaust was changed, as it was running lean even before the change).

And if you have the Ventilator intake, a higher-flow filter won't make much difference, as the Ventilator is high-flow already.

2.  Again, with the stock exhaust, there won't be any extra air flow.  Either way, it's the speed of the air flow that determines the vacuum:  higher speed = more vacuum.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Archer069

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »

1.  If you still have the stock head pipe and mufflers, you won't need a new fuel map just from the new filter...b/c with the stock exhaust system, the new filter won't allow any extra flow (even if it is a hi-flow filter).  OTOH, If you have an aftermarket exhaust, it definitely needs a new fuel map (should have had one as soon as the exhaust was changed, as it was running lean even before the change).

And if you have the Ventilator intake, a higher-flow filter won't make much difference, as the Ventilator is high-flow already.

2.  Again, with the stock exhaust, there won't be any extra air flow.  Either way, it's the speed of the air flow that determines the vacuum:  higher speed = more vacuum.

The whole ride is stock and has the HD 29663-08 stock air filter, not sure if this is also a high flow filter and I'm not sure about the intake, as stated the bike is stock with no changes from the 08 CVO plant, thanks for helping out a nube.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:25:50 PM »

The stock air cleaner is the older style "football" A/C, and really isn't considered high flow.  The K&N replacement for the stock filter element is the same size and shape as the stock piece, the only difference is it's a cotton gauze material that must be oiled instead of the stock pleated paper, and it can flow a little more air than the stock part.  The K&N can be cleaned and re-oiled versus just replacing the stock element.  If you're looking for a real high flow air cleaner, this change won't do much.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »

What do you suggest for best flow?

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »

What do you suggest for best flow?

If he plans to keep the rest of the bike stock, there really isn't much need to change the air cleaner.  If he decides to add a high flow exhaust system, then he might want to consider the old style SE air cleaner (round with round filter element), or I believe the Heavy Breather can be installed on a 2008.  Of course the aftermarket also has too many offerings to list as well.  Still won't need to go with a huge legroom stealing contraption unless he does some serious engine upgrades.  To me, it's not worth it on a street bike to give up comfort and convenience to install one of those oversized air cleaners just to gain a couple horsepower on a dyno.  That's just me.

JNHO - Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 02:53:21 PM »

Bottom line:  No point in changing the filter element unless you really want a reusable element.  I always found them more of a PITA than they're worth--still have to R&R them, plus clean, dry, re-oil.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »

X2 on the pain to maintain. Also if you search around some company in calif (Air Flow Resource? Maybe) did a study and about all the OE style paper filters outflowed the K&N also the oil is no longer a good thing for fuel injection Mass Air Flow sensors etc. I wash my paper one, let it dry overnight and go on down the road.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 07:16:30 PM »

When the K&N is dry or nearly dry, it flows real well (since it doesn't stop anything smaller than a pebble when dry).  When it's oiled really well, as in slightly excessively, it doesn't flow as well as the washable paper elements of the same size.  There is probably a place between dry and soaked where it does what they claim, but the typical person doing a clean and re-oil job won't find that sweet spot unless he gets lucky.  Then over time the oil "disappears" from the pores of the gauze, leaving you with a dry filter again.  I say it's not worth the hassle, based on about eighteen years of experience with their filters.

JMHO - Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 07:47:30 PM »

Only a suggestion,  why not go with the a Stage 1 High Flow Air Filter Kit (that the stock air cover fits over) then when you want to change the  exhaust that bits done. It's not going to heart having the Stage 1 kit on with stock exhaust but you'll need it if you change your pipes .
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:49:37 PM by longlast »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »

Only a suggestion,  why not go with the a Stage 1 High Flow Air Filter Kit (that the stock air cover fits over) then when you want to change the  exhaust that bits done. It's not going to heart having the Stage 1 kit on with stock exhaust but you'll need it if you change your pipes .

That's the round filter I mentioned previously, the old style round SE filter.  The current ones come with the washable paper element, not the K&N, and I'd recommend sticking with the paper element.  One problem using that filter with the stock CVO football cover is that the 2006 and later CVO covers are not properly supported on the end of those filters, which has resulted in the cover bolt pulling out the center weld nut in the filter end plate after vibration and movement fractured the end plate at the nut.  Lot's of lost or damaged covers resulted.  Just something to be aware of if anyone decides to use the stock CVO 2006 and up cover with those SE Stage I air cleaners.  There should still be many old threads on the site discussing this issue.

Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »

That's the round filter I mentioned previously, the old style round SE filter.  The current ones come with the washable paper element, not the K&N, and I'd recommend sticking with the paper element.  One problem using that filter with the stock CVO football cover is that the 2006 and later CVO covers are not properly supported on the end of those filters, which has resulted in the cover bolt pulling out the center weld nut in the filter end plate after vibration and movement fractured the end plate at the nut.  Lot's of lost or damaged covers resulted.  Just something to be aware of if anyone decides to use the stock CVO 2006 and up cover with those SE Stage I air cleaners.  There should still be many old threads on the site discussing this issue.

Jerry

Can't say about the older ones, this is what I use I'm on the second one now in 22k with no issues.  The  nut is welded at the back of the metal plate , most likely an upgrade from issues you mentioned

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 07:17:40 AM »

That is not an HD-1508 mate ! HD-1508 is a stock airbox drop in straight replacement. I used to fit them all the time for folks here in Australia with good results.

They work well in "best bang for the buck" scenarios

That latest photo is an HD-0800 , which replaces the Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 air filter element from 2001 onwards
No illegitimi carborundum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 09:19:23 AM »

That is not an HD-1508 mate ! HD-1508 is a stock airbox drop in straight replacement. I used to fit them all the time for folks here in Australia with good results.

They work well in "best bang for the buck" scenarios

That latest photo is an HD-0800 , which replaces the Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 air filter element from 2001 onwards

Your right it's not,
  The pic is only a reference to "grc" post  regarding  the centre nut breaking free. Its fixed behind the filter plate for preventing it breaking free and your football filter cover falling off that he was referring to. 

This would be  Archer069    kit.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.