Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone chip on right saddle bag - repair options? ‘15 HC Mercury  (Read 2161 times)

KY-SESG

• Junior CVO Member
    • KY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Sold
    • CVO3: 1997 FLSTS Sold; 1991 Sportster Sold

:'( 38,800 miles and my first chip on my mint condition HC Mercury. It is an index fingernail sized chip on the leading lower corner of the right saddlebag. Any good option for repair or am I looking at buying a new bag?

Can’t even think of trading for a new one with the 117 kit in it, 129 tq, and the less than appealing paint options for the past few years. Guess I’m old school and expect my $40k + bike to have an eye catching paint scheme and color.  If you find yourself with an opportunity to go with the 117 kit, due to grenading lifters, go for it! You won’t be sorry. Don’t use the lifters that come with it of course ;).

Cheers
Fullsac DX headers, Fullsac 2" cores w/ screens, TTS Master Tune, 117ci kit, 58mm TB, 259E Cams, high capacity oil pan, Topline Hylift Johnson b2313se lifters, Saddlemen Dominator solo seat, Yaffe 10" Monkeybars, Yaffe Stealth III plate mount, 10" FreedomShield, lower fairing Boom II speakers, Focal 570 bag speakers...

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Stone chip on right saddle bag - repair options? ‘15 HC Mercury
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:07:49 PM »

I actually repaired a chip about the same size as the one you describe but you may not be able to accept the results. I bought a small bottle of touch up paint and went to the arts and crafts store, bought a the very finest bristled brush they had, then brushed the paint over it with a couple of very thin coats, letting it dry a day, I sanded lightly with 1000 grit paper and lightly polished it shiny. Then I bought a spray can of Harley clear coat assuming the gloss shine would be the same as on the bike, sprayed it to a wet appearance (two coats) with no masking of the area let it dry a day then lightly sanded it with 2000 grit paper to blend the chip and surrounding area smooth, polished it out shiny.

It didn’t come out perfect, if you look for it at a certain angle, you can see it but most people have to have me point it out and it’s on the top of the rear fender.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:11:51 PM by King Glide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »

Un circled slightly different angle
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:17:54 PM by King Glide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:25:46 PM »

How deep is the chip? Is there still silver color or are you down to metal/primer? No matter the depth it will be more difficult to blend/match the silver color with it's huge flake than the fellow above completed in his red color. If you are down to primer or well into the base coat and you want the repair to be invisible you will need a professional, hopefully one used to dealing with custom colors. There are a few speciality painters that are recommended on this site, personally I have no experience with them but others have given them good reviews, try the search on this site for painters.
If you have to buy a pint of correct base, a mid-layer color with that big flake which probably has some pearl in it or the clear plus appropriate reducers this is going to be an expensive repair not even counting labor.
Good luck.

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »

I had someone slide into the back of me and nicked the left saddlebag taking a chunk out. The cost of a new bag for my 16 CVO ultra was like 1200 dollars, I took it to a custom body shop here near Cincinnati and he repaired it to were I couldn’t even tell where the repair was and charged around 400 dollars which I thought was very reasonable. I would thin your chip would be less. PM me if you would like his shop number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 11:44:43 AM »

Not sure if you have gotten your saddle bag fixed or not. I happen to have a right saddle bag for the 15 HC Mercury in my basement. I would be willing to sell it, PM me if your are interested.

Clay
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 04:16:31 AM »

I would just slap one of those bullet hole stickers over it and also on the other bag in the same spot so they both match ... will also give the bike some character. Seriously, I feel your pain .... was riding mine one day when I heard that dreaded "ping". I looked all over and found nothing at the time. One day I treat it to a good cleaning and wax and there it is a huge chip showing bare steel, I was so pi$$ed. Lucky for me it's in an inconspicuous spot behind the air cleaner on the bottom of the tank. Nobody will ever see it but me ... still bugs the chit out of me though. For the time being I just put some extra wax on it in hopes it doesn't rust until I fix it right. To make things even better I heard my color is hard to match and also very pricey if you can even get it.

I traded my Charger in for a new Challenger last year and the hood already has a few nice chips in it too, makes you sick when you be careful and pamper your stuff and it still gets screwed up. Hard as it is I try to say "The hell with it, I give up" when deep-down it gets your blood boiling. It's the price we pay to enjoy them for what they were meant for and I don't mean a trophy to stare at in the garage. On a good note, the next battlescar will be easier to swallow since you took the hardest one. Now I just try to buff and wax them out the best I can to hide them and move on.

2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »

Sorry know this is a month old now,  but you could put the Suntek Clear bra on the front end.   I did this on my Charger and recommend it highly.

Prefer the Suntek to the 3M
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 22 queries.