Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2000 mile report on BDL 2" open primary belt drive  (Read 1381 times)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
2000 mile report on BDL 2" open primary belt drive
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »

I have logged over 2,000 miles on my BDL 2" open primary belt drive with no problems. There are positives and negatives in changing over from primary chain drive to belt. Positives are engine spools up much quicker from idle due to lack of extra weight on crankshaft. No more compensator knocking. Gears shift with a click in lieu of a clunk even going from neutral to first. No more changing primary fluid, and best of all never to have to purchase another compensator sprocket. Negatives are that  the belt drive does not eliminate as much engine pulse as the compensator thus the transmission gears rattle with the pulses under 2500 RPM. You lose the sound deadening effect from the closed primary case so nothing to absorb gear sounds. Neutral with clutch out is noisy due to 32 dry ball bearings spinning around right under your left leg. I have learned to keep engine spinning 2500 RPM and beyond to eliminate all the gear noises. Still wouldn't go back to compensator chain drive. Will check back in another 3000 miles to see if anything changes.

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

Re: 2000 mile report on BDL 2" open primary belt drive
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »

Neutral with clutch out is noisy due to 32 dry ball bearings spinning around right under your left leg.

Are you talking about the transmission main shaft support bearing? If so, you can get a pre-lubed sealed replacement bearing. Running a oil type bearing dry is asking for it to seize.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.