Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Can't believe this one  (Read 8778 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Can't believe this one
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

What he said on both replies, Pete... :2vrolijk_21:

I worked on a bike a few years ago with 121,000 miles and while it needed some all over TLC, the belt and sprocket actually looked good for that many miles.

It's your bike....but, if it were mine and I'm sure most of the others here that have responded would agree, I'd never let that sprocket pull a belt on my bike with that kind of abuse.  Heck, you could probably find one at a dealer that was changed for some reason that's in better shape OR get a new one but I'd hit up those "insert your best adjective here" that boogered it up in the first place to replace it.... :2vrolijk_21:

Agreed.  New sprocket, or used sprocket in very good condition.  They ruined your sprocket - my opinion.  Attempting to buff out the bad places might sound good, but is not a good solution & looks like your belt will be chewed up.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »

I agree with you guys .
I was going to take pics of the condition of the belt put the wheel on and keep a check on it. Now I've had some time to reflect on it I'm going to talk to my HD shop and run it by them to what they think of how it was handled grinding down the tops of the pulley teeth
I'll be holding off on putting the wheel on.  I'll guarantee if I put the wheel on and it chews up the belt they'll say it was nothing we did we only did a miner repair , your pulley was warn out

J.D.

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »

Belt is alot of labor and cost to replace.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »

Belt is alot of labor and cost to replace.

Tell me about it. I came to realise that when I was doing the primary work, I had a good look at what's involved with the belt replacement  :'(

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »

If you use that pulley, its going to damage your belt, at this point, If it where mine, I would replace the pulley at my expense and chalk it up to never do business with them again if they wont take care of it and by that I mean replacing the pulley, not filing it down, they should have apologized to you when you pointed it out and then they should have said 'we will replace it for you"  keep us posted
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

J.D.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »

The cost of "free mounting".

"We'll mount it.  Didn't say anything about balancing it, and no guarantee we won't damage your parts."

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »

The cost of "free mounting".

"We'll mount it.  Didn't say anything about balancing it, and no guarantee we won't damage your parts."

Yup!!  It all started when I went in to see what it would cost me to bring in the wheels and new rubber and get the new rubber put on. They gave me a price then said if you get the rubber from us we'll install them at no extra cost (the cost of the tyres was the same so I thought it'll save me the install fee) .....well now we know that was a lie.
 So far it's cost me a bloody big headache,  my bike being off the road, and more on going concerns.

J.D.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »

Man that sucks.  You have us and your dealer all telling you it's hosed.  Is the shop going to make things right?

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »

Just a thought....if you paid by a credit card....I would call the credit card company and dispute the charge.  Tell them what happened and that they are not willing to work with you.

They will issue you credit immediately and their resolution team will get take it from there.  I bet they will fold and you will at least get the tire out of this mess.

Good Luck

Cat

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »

Just a thought....if you paid by a credit card....I would call the credit card company and dispute the charge.  Tell them what happened and that they are not willing to work with you.

They will issue you credit immediately and their resolution team will get take it from there.  I bet they will fold and you will at least get the tire out of this mess.

Good Luck

Cat

Good suggestion!  :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

Good Luck

Cat

Your on the money there mate,  I did think of that and  called the credit card company but they were closed I'm going to call again tomorrow. "No 24/7 customer service "  :-\ 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »

Took this pic this morning
You can see better how the tops have been ground off.

I've been intuch with HD sent them pic via email  they will be emailing me on how the pulley has been damage to the point that it should be replaced.

Once I have the e-mail  I'll be getting hold of the shop to see what he intends to do about it.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »

Well I got this e-mail from my local HD dealership after I sent them pic of the pulley.

Harleys  reply,

In all my years of working for Harley-Davidson I have never seen that before.

Firstly, as to why they have clamped it like that when removing a tyre I do not understand, and secondly grinding down the teeth has now just destroyed that rear sprocket.

If you were to fit that wheel to your bike it will destroy the belt in no time. My professional opinion would be you need to have a new rear sprocket which costs £344.50.

I've been intuch with the owner of the bike dealership today  he was reluctant at first to accept  that the pulley sprocket is no longer usable.
He tried to convince me to put the wheel back on and he said if it tears up the belt in the next 2k he would then replace it and the belt plus do the install.
I told him that's not going to happen, I'm not going to take the chance of the belt tearing off when im doing 70 odd mph down the road. (Good chance he would back out anyway)
He tried using the age of the bike, I'm not going to pay for item that's been on a 11yr old bike,..i said what's the age got to do with it!, the fact is,.. it's  the original sprocket with the original belt and the belt is in good condition
After a good fourty minutes later knocking it back and forth,....he agreed to pay half the cost to replace it," and he almost pulled a fast one" but I cought it,
I told him you being a dealership you pay the tax and shipping costs I'll only pay half the cost after your wholesale discount. He agreed.

I contacted my HD dealership  part # 40217-07 66T sprocket and (5) 3109 screw w/washers ass.
He says I'll give you a discount.
He comes back to me and said, for everything including tax 310.04 delivered

So Monday I'm expecting to hear from this Chris fella and see what he comesup with.

BTW. I lifted the hold on the tyre payment

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:40:28 PM by longlast »

J.D.

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 02:54:19 PM »

What a sheister.  I suppose at some point you need to cut your losses and move on.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2018, 03:20:19 PM »

You got screwed Pete.  Sorry for that.  I'd not have released the hold on the charge until the new part was in your hand and all promised shared costs or reimbursements were in hand though.  They'd already proved they can't be trusted.

Good luck getting it sorted.  In the end their not worth your frustrations though.  Get what you can and ride on.  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.