Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Curious about the Warranty for life  (Read 4330 times)

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
Curious about the Warranty for life
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:53:27 PM »

Have a buddy that purchased the a new bike not long ago and he was told at the time that if he made any changes to the motor that were not Harley parts the warranty was null and void.  He was looking at replacing the stock exhaust and going to V&H tuner.  Is this true?

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Curious about the Warranty for life
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »

...And you can't do any work yourself.   Must be taken to a certified repair facility for all work and maintenance.  If the shop is not a Harley Dealer they have to call in prior to doing the work.   At least that is how it was explained to me.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

Doesn't seem enforceable to me or at least its another reason to perhaps look for perhaps an Indian. Maybe they're doing the same thing now I haven't checked.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:14 PM »

...And you can't do any work yourself.   Must be taken to a certified repair facility for all work and maintenance.  If the shop is not a Harley Dealer they have to call in prior to doing the work.   At least that is how it was explained to me.
For warranty work yes but for maintenance if they require it be done at the dealership or their fluids must be used they have to supply them free. As long as you keep records and use fluids that meet their specs they will loose every time in court.
T-MAN 117 kit

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »

Doesn't seem enforceable to me or at least its another reason to perhaps look for perhaps an Indian. Maybe they're doing the same thing now I haven't checked.

It's absolutely enforceable, because it isn't a manufacturer's warranty.  It's a product not unlike the various ESP products you may be familiar with, and they can put any kind of restrictions in their contracts they want, just like the ESP does.  I'm going to guess there are many more gotcha's in the full contract, including any fine print.  Make sure if you decide you want to try it to get a copy of the full and complete agreement, and read it carefully.

The manufactuer's warranty you get from H-D is regulated by federal law and you do have certain rights.  All the other stuff offered by dealers is similar to an insurance policy, and like insurance policies they only have to cover what they specifically state they will cover, and they can refuse to pay if you violate any of the terms of the contract.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »

Here's a link to a article and conversation (PODCAST) regarding this whole topic and few others. Starts the conversation around the 25min mark if you care to skip....   

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »

Here's a link to a article and conversation (PODCAST) regarding this whole topic and few others. Starts the conversation around the 25min mark if you care to skip....

Link  :nixweiss:
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »

For warranty work yes but for maintenance if they require it be done at the dealership or their fluids must be used they have to supply them free. As long as you keep records and use fluids that meet their specs they will loose every time in court.
Going to court might be feasible if you can take it to Small Claims court.  However the dollar limit for small claims in some states in pretty low:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/small-claims-suits-how-much-30031.html

If you have to go full blown lawsuit with an attorney well you'll be fronting the cost of that and even if you win there is no guarantee that you'll be awarded costs for your legal expenses.  For the little guy this does not make much sense imo . . . and the moco knows that and counts on it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:46:13 PM »

Sorry forgot the link:  https://www.lawabidingbiker.com/125/

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »

the 2 year new vehicle warranty is in effect and is covered by the magnusson moss act.  insofar as you can do your own maintenance, you can use whatever fluids you choose (as long as they meet required specs), etc.

but the warranty for life programs are very different.  because they are not true 'warranties' but as jerry said, insurance programs, they are not covered by the mm act.  they can put just about any kind of restriction in there that they want and still be legal.  usually the big 'gotchas' with these programs are that you must have all your work done at the dealer, and, in a lot of cases, the specific dealer that you bought the bike from.

skip a service, have it done elsewhere, do it yourself, etc. and you've just lost your 'for life'....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »

I was offered this for free when i purchased my current bike from the dealer. When I asked my salesman (who I've known for decades) about it he just looked at me and smiled and said "you still do your own maintenance right? And maybe plan for some upgrades later?" I replied yes and he winked and said "it's not for you."
With that said, I still read up on it because it IS a real offer but it just isn't for me.....
If you can live by the letter of the contract it could be a good deal for you. If you are not that person that has EVERY required maintenance item done when it's required (which is more than the factory even recommends) by a pre authorized dealer with authorized parts and materials ONLY, then good on ya. Otherwise if that offer of a free lifetime warranty got you in the door to consider spending some of your hard earned cash there as opposed to with the competition, well there advertising did it's job.

Good luck
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 04:35:07 PM »

The good news is that I did request a full copy of the warranty so I am able to share!    This also applies to Indians.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »

And next -    The good stuff is highlighted...

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »

To me, it's worthless.  My bike is like my wife - Only I touch it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »

Ask yourself this question:

If they don't charge me for the coverage and I don't pay a deductible, how do they make enough money to stay in business?

If the dealership is paying them to participate in this program, what is their incentive to do so?  Do they jack up the maintenance prices enough to cover their costs, or jack up the price of the vehicle?

There is no such thing as a free lunch folks.  You are either paying for this through high maintenance charges, or in the purchase price of the bike.  And considering all the high cost engine failures Harley has been having for many years now, this company has to be making some serious profits in order to be able to pay for those repairs.  There is much more that needs to be known about how this thing actually works.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 21 queries.