Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioners  (Read 1900 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Cam chain tensioners
« on: December 14, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »

I haven't as yet ,...but I will be taking a look at the tensioners which are the stock spring type tensioner.  I'm opening it up mainley for inspection there's no strange noises coming from the cover area.

If the pads  are worn I understand the hydraulic tensioners are a better option then the spring version that are in it at the moment.

Q. I found these on the netweb  any info on them or would anyone have a suggestion for a plug and play from stock spring type to hydraulic version?

The search says they will fit my 07 ultra classic. I don't know if they are a good brand or not.

They're supplied by USA Vtwin Performance .

Feuling Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Kit Harley Twin Cam 2007-2016 And 06 Dyna

J.D.

Re: Cam chain tensioners
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 04:52:36 PM »

99-06 have spring loaded tensioners and 07+ have the hydraulics.  Related - MoCo offers a "conversion" camplate kit to upgrade the early (spring-loaded) style.  Your '07 should go 100k on the stock (hydraulic) tensioners.  You shouldn't need the item you are showing in your post.  Worst case just replace the plastic tensioner shoes if damaged or badly worn.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 01:19:29 AM »

99-06 have spring loaded tensioners and 07+ have the hydraulics.  Related - MoCo offers a "conversion" camplate kit to upgrade the early (spring-loaded) style.  Your '07 should go 100k on the stock (hydraulic) tensioners.  You shouldn't need the item you are showing in your post.  Worst case just replace the plastic tensioner shoes if damaged or badly worn.

Cheers Mate,
That sounds good,...I for some reason have it in my head that my tensioners are spring loaded   :confused5:

That's the main reason I'm pulling the cover to check the shoes because I thought I had the spring loaded type.

Back in August of 17 I put in S&S lifters and a pair of fully complimentary inner cam bearings and like I said I've got it in my head that the tensioners are spring loaded,.......I'm sure you're right,.....it's more like me losing the plot in my antique years :P

The shoes were good back in 17 I'm confident they're still good now I didn't realise they can go as much as a 100k I actually had no idea how long they would go.
Thanks again,  I'll confirm in this post confirmation what I'm running, I have to look now. ;D

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 07:41:30 AM »

theres nothing wrong with your OEM tensioners & no need to go to billet units,if their worn,just replace the pads with OEM (CYCO also makes replacement pads for 07 up tensioners)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »

:2thumbsup:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:26:31 AM »

theres nothing wrong with your OEM tensioners & no need to go to billet units,if their worn,just replace the pads with OEM (CYCO also makes replacement pads for 07 up tensioners)

:2vrolijk_21:
If needed,... which are the better lasting pads to go with?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »

Genuine HD

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »

Top guys,  Thanks

07CVOEG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:58:49 AM »

Longlast I have my 07 opened up for lifters an tensioners also. the tensioner in the back the one you can't see on mine was worn down to

the metal piston. the front looked like it had a few miles left on it. 66k on mine and I would say i'm way past safe wear on mine. Dan
S&S 585 cam, Jackpot 2/1/2 exhaust, unidentified as of yet domed pistons.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »

Longlast I have my 07 opened up for lifters an tensioners also. the tensioner in the back the one you can't see on mine was worn down to

the metal piston. the front looked like it had a few miles left on it. 66k on mine and I would say i'm way past safe wear on mine. Dan

Thanks Dan,

I haven't opened mine up as yet.  I've got only 24k on it and when I had it open for inner cam  bearings upgrade at 18k they were good and from what you and others have been saying I don't think I've really need to at this time.
Think I'm just being a little over pre maintenance.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.